News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 03:22:37 AM
I don't remember whether I mentioned this yesterday, but my dishwasher crapped the bed.

I hate being poor.

:sad:

Did it stop working, or start leaking?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 24, 2014, 03:38:12 AM
I don't remember whether I mentioned this yesterday, but my dishwasher crapped the bed.

I hate being poor.

:sad:

Did it stop working, or start leaking?

Stopped working

the door latch mechanism is broken. Mechanically broken, ie plastic parts have fractured. It's probably replaceable, but the dishwasher's ten years old and starting to disintegrate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I decided to replace the latch anyway, for the reason that getting rid of broken appliances is a huge pain in the ass. Same reason I still have the same ancient POS washer and dryer in my basement; the idea of getting them OUT of my basement is too much of an ordeal to bear, so I just keep repairing them.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also I invented the best drink. It's cheap beer mixed with pickle juice, hot sauce, and V-8. If you're feeling adventurous, a dash of fish sauce.

I call it a Picklada.

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 05:24:43 AM
Also I invented the best drink. It's cheap beer mixed with pickle juice, hot sauce, and V-8. If you're feeling adventurous, a dash of fish sauce.

I call it a Picklada.

Ok, that sounds delicious.  I'm in.

Have you tried turning it off, then turning it back on again?

QuoteI hate being poor.

Actually, have you tried not being poor?

Eater of Clowns

I started making my own plates, so when my current ones are dirty I just throw them away and use new ones.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 05:17:04 AM
I decided to replace the latch anyway, for the reason that getting rid of broken appliances is a huge pain in the ass. Same reason I still have the same ancient POS washer and dryer in my basement; the idea of getting them OUT of my basement is too much of an ordeal to bear, so I just keep repairing them.  :lol:

I have been carting around a giant old-school TV, because there is no legal way of getting rid of it, and the penalties for dumping it are greater than the pain in the ass of keeping it.

Kafka was a sissy.  We're all going to die under heaps of broken household appliances.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

I really hope that reads with as much hyperbolic satire as was intended.

:scared:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 24, 2014, 02:11:28 PM
I really hope that reads with as much hyperbolic satire as was intended.

:scared:

Obviously.

And then THIS happened:

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 24, 2014, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 05:24:43 AM

I call it a Picklada.

Ok, that sounds delicious.  I'm in.

Have you tried turning it off, then turning it back on again?

QuoteI hate being poor.

Actually, have you tried not being poor?

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 24, 2014, 02:03:32 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 05:17:04 AM

I have been carting around a giant old-school TV, because there is no legal way of getting rid of it, and the penalties for dumping it are greater than the pain in the ass of keeping it.

Kafka was a sissy.  We're all going to die under heaps of broken household appliances.

Whoa. That reminds me of something.

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSM4EBf5T9U

The Wizard Joseph

I hate being poor too, but my shit could be far worse.
About a month+ ago I got me some nasty respiratory virus. Could not breathe and was getting faint on the job so I used some PTO to go to the urgent care walk in. 3 hrs and a week and a half's pay later I got an albuteral inhaler and a scrip for more.  Very glad I told the MD that I had no need for a chest xray to 'confirm it wasn't pneumonia'.

He looked at me like an alien for telling him why I was sure. Must have been the laundry uniform and total lack of fear or deference to his medical opinion now that I knew I didn't have a fever and the inhaler had got me oxygen to the brain.
An X Ray would have tacked on several hundreds more.  This with THEIR insurance.

Worst part is I know well what it's like to not have any of the above advantages like the PTO. the vast majority of the extra overtime I've been pulling down and burning out on went to this one bill.
It does beat total destitution. I like the Stoic approach to suffering.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

All things considered, I have it pretty good. I'm poor, but I live in a nice neighborhood and I haven't lost my house. I have a scholarship and live in a state with socialized health care that covers my kids, plus I'm on the university health plan, which my scholarship pays for. Not to mention that I have travel opportunities through school that I would never have otherwise.

The Wizard Joseph

Yeah I count my blessings too and at the end of the day they stack up pretty high. It helps to be focused on the positive pretty much no matter how things are laid out. I got no major debts, stable work, very good friends and fam. I live in peace and plenty with much to learn.  I have leisure time. I feel a good day at work coming on.  :)

Good luck with the things Nigel!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl