News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Human Flesh 101

Started by Sir Bearington, July 24, 2012, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think it's also important to note that European explorers and colonizers had a habit of, uh, "dramatizing" their actual observations, particularly in ways that made the native people they encountered seem more savage and less people-like.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

In the particular case of the Caribs, it is believed that cannibalism may have something to do with war-related rituals, but could have just as easily been made up as a pretext for enslaving the population, as Spanish law forbade slavery except in cases where it was believed those enslaved would be better for it (and explicitly included cannibals under that description).

Generally, given the lack of historical and archaeological evidence for cannibalism by the Caribs, and the Spanish penchant for enslaving people and strip-mining the Americas of assets, I'm inclined to go with the "it was made up" theory.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cain on August 05, 2012, 06:40:13 PM
In the particular case of the Caribs, it is believed that cannibalism may have something to do with war-related rituals, but could have just as easily been made up as a pretext for enslaving the population, as Spanish law forbade slavery except in cases where it was believed those enslaved would be better for it (and explicitly included cannibals under that description).

Generally, given the lack of historical and archaeological evidence for cannibalism by the Caribs, and the Spanish penchant for enslaving people and strip-mining the Americas of assets, I'm inclined to go with the "it was made up" theory.

No bones hacked up for the cook pot + a bunch of government-sanctioned looters = this has got to be correct.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

Actually, cannibalism among warring tribes in the Caribbean basin is well-documented. Thing is, there was never any such thing as a "Carib" tribe. That was just a label given to any of the more warlike Taino tribes by the Spaniards.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Sure, the Tainos were the "noble savages" and the Caribs were the "evil cannibals", according to Spanish sources.

When I used Caribs above, I was referring more specifically to the Kalinago.

As for the warfare thing, I'm going to have to ask for sources.  It could be, of course, this is the ritual cannibalism I have seen alluded to in some sources, where enemy warriors who were killed in combat were partly consumed.  Still, I think this is somewhat different in substance to what is normally considered to be cannibalism, where humans are slain primarily for their nutritional value. 

Of course, the irony of Catholics declaring people eating human flesh to be fallen sinners is not lost on me.

East Coast Hustle

You are correct about that. All the archaeological/anthropological evidence that I've ever heard of supports that it was ritual cannibalism conducted by victorious warriors and was NOT something that was prevalent throughout Taino society, or in any way used as just another source of nutrition.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on August 05, 2012, 10:02:41 PM
You are correct about that. All the archaeological/anthropological evidence that I've ever heard of supports that it was ritual cannibalism conducted by victorious warriors and was NOT something that was prevalent throughout Taino society, or in any way used as just another source of nutrition.

Reminds me of what Rain In The Face said about Tom Custer: "I ate his heart".
Which may or may not have happened, but it's a bodacious "fuck you!"  :lulz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Honsinger_Bluff
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 05, 2012, 06:36:38 PM
I think it's also important to note that European explorers and colonizers had a habit of, uh, "dramatizing" their actual observations, particularly in ways that made the native people they encountered seem more savage and less people-like.

So did the Polynesians.  Once they found out that the Europeans had a thing about cannibalism, every tribe over THERE was a bunch of lousy cannibals, unlike us good people over HERE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.