News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Common Walls Debate

Started by Cramulus, February 21, 2012, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rev

The Good Reverend Roger

I can't see how it could be taken any other way.

Please enlighten me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Rev

Just looks to me that he was excited about the new project ITT and was offering ideas and support.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 21, 2012, 06:00:18 PM
Just looks to me that he was excited about the new project ITT and was offering ideas and support.

Looks like he was saying it was out of steam and time to publish.  Determining those things is the job - actually, the only job - of the editors.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Lady Gogira, if you want to do anything with Common Walls, you will need to (out of common courtesy) talk to LMNO, as he started the thread and is the de facto project editor, as well as gaining consent from the individual contributors. I doubt that anyone would have a problem with you doing something with it, but that'll avoid any ruffled feathers.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 21, 2012, 06:02:39 PM
Lady Gogira, if you want to do anything with Common Walls, you will need to (out of common courtesy) talk to LMNO, as he started the thread and is the de facto project editor, as well as gaining consent from the individual contributors. I doubt that anyone would have a problem with you doing something with it, but that'll avoid any ruffled feathers.

LMNO and I already have an arrangement (CC).  He can speak for me, I think.

Nephew Twiddleton

He said that a week without more might be an indicator that the contributors are running out of steam. Hes throwing in opinion in not making a rule or even an actual deadline. It might have been better for him to add some other statement or another to the effect that he wasnt in charge of the project so it would probably have to be asked in the appropriate thread if the project was done but he didnt. But i dont see anything in his post but suggestions.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Twid, not Billy. on February 21, 2012, 05:55:50 PM
I didnt see crams post as an attempt to take over the project.

Perhaps it wasn't. But he overstepped his bounds in saying that it was out of steam and giving LG the go-ahead on a project someone else was spearheading, and I wanted to be very clear that it is not his place to make editorial decisions.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Rev

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2012, 06:03:27 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 21, 2012, 06:02:39 PM

LMNO and I already have an arrangement (CC).  He can speak for me, I think.

I would assume that LMNO would probably handle the individual contributors in terms of publishing it as a group project; I just threw that in there because if LG wants to pull individual pieces she'll want to contact the person who wrote the piece.

When it's done, it would be awesome, IMO, if LG wanted to add her artwork and do the layout. But that's up to LMNO.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Twid, not Billy. on February 21, 2012, 06:05:09 PM
He said that a week without more might be an indicator that the contributors are running out of steam. Hes throwing in opinion in not making a rule or even an actual deadline. It might have been better for him to add some other statement or another to the effect that he wasnt in charge of the project so it would probably have to be asked in the appropriate thread if the project was done but he didnt. But i dont see anything in his post but suggestions.

Yeah.  The suggestion to publish without even consulting the editor.  Then QG raised the obvious objection, and he continued his suggestion.

I think we need to lay down a few ground rules, here, if we're going to have collaborative projects.  Just call it a suggestion of my own, if you will.  The first ground rule I'd propose that the editor does the editing.  The second ground rule is that the editor decides when it's done. 

I'd never fucking dream of swooping in and publishing someone's intermittens before they were ready to publish it, and that's precisely what was "suggested".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 21, 2012, 06:07:45 PM
I'm done with the project.

And here we go.  First one down.  The fucking thing will be tatters and rags by next week.

Another PD project crashes in fucking flames.  Thank you so very much, Cram.  But isn't that a small price to pay for your fucking relentless self-promotion machine?

Nephew Twiddleton

I agree with you roger. Obviously if cram suggested cdgasm was done i would also go- err dude no. But i wouldnt think he meant anything by it.

Also its been over a week since someone posted in common walls? Its only tuesday...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

Quote from: Cramulus on February 21, 2012, 05:06:51 PM
As soon as there've been no new submissions for a week, I'd say that's a good indicator that we're out of steam on it.

Hmmm.... not seeing the part where I declared the project over and seized it for myself.

but I understand it's more fun to jump up my ass and act like I'm trying to steal Nigel's project, so I forgive you for poor reading comprehension

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2012, 06:12:58 PM
Thank you so very much, Cram.  But isn't that a small price to pay for your fucking relentless self-promotion machine?

riiiiiight, suggesting that we think about layout = self promotion

collaborating on this just ceased to be fun
yeah, I'm done here

enjoy

The Rev

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2012, 06:12:58 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 21, 2012, 06:07:45 PM
I'm done with the project.

And here we go.  First one down.  The fucking thing will be tatters and rags by next week.

Another PD project crashes in fucking flames.  Thank you so very much, Cram.  But isn't that a small price to pay for your fucking relentless self-promotion machine?

I'm not quitting because of Cram. I am quitting because it's no longer fun. I don't enjoy territorial pissing contests, and the only reason I ever join in a project is because it sounds like fun.