News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Take it by the horns!

Started by AFK, September 12, 2011, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

You can row upstream through the headwaters of insolence, crass plastic consumerism, and rank and file space occupiers for only so long.  This is especially so when 6 out of the 8 people on your crew often seem appropriate to be tossed overboard to drown in the din.  It is at that crystalline moment of realization that one should draw out their bull horn and shout the Horrible Truth down their throats.  They will either finally choke and die or awaken out of their many-decade stupor.  More allies and less dead-weight.  A good enough outcome in an existence of shitty ones. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 12, 2011, 09:08:36 PM
You can row upstream through the headwaters of insolence, crass plastic consumerism, and rank and file space occupiers for only so long.  This is especially so when 6 out of the 8 people on your crew often seem appropriate to be tossed overboard to drown in the din.  It is at that crystalline moment of realization that one should draw out their bull horn and shout the Horrible Truth down their throats.  They will either finally choke and die or awaken out of their many-decade stupor.  More allies and less dead-weight.  A good enough outcome in an existence of shitty ones. 

Well, that's exactly it.  If you can't save 'em, don't shackle yourself to them, because they'll only drag you down with them.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Wow. That hit rather hard. And I totally get where you're coming from!

Eve Hill

I like this. It hits me a little hard too, but I agree with it.

BadBeast

Sorry, I was busy knocking holes in the bottom of this boat, did you say something?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

BadBeast

Just read Dok's "Can I interrupt" thread, and it seems to justify my own right to post stupid pointless shit, like the above comment. But then I had a bit of a think. First thoughts were "why am I spagging up a perfectly decent thread with smartass comments". That didn't last long.
I looked at the comment again, and thought, "Whose fucking boat is it anyway?" I don't know. Why am I knocking holes in it?
To see how well it floats, I suppose. If I sink it, it's ok, because I can swim. How well can I swim?  I guess we'll find out if this fucking tub I'm sat in sinks. I suppose I'm the Captain because I don't see any other fucker sat in here with me. So "All hands on deck" . *Looks around* either I'm all alone, or the crew have mutinied.  In which case, I hope the boat does sink. I think  I'll have to issue the order to abandon ship soon. Pointless, I know. The Captain is traditionally supposed to go down with his ship, but fuck tradition. Anyway, the tub is still afloat. I'm still here. In a leaking boat. Talking to myself. How bad can it be?  How much worse can it get?

I look down at my handiwork. It doesn't seem to be leaking quite so much anymore. In fact, it seems to have stopped. There's just an inch or two of water slopping about in the bottom. And the sea doesn't seem to be nearly as rough as it did. Maybe things aren't as hopeless as I thought. And I can hear voices too. Perhaps it's the crew. Maybe they didn't obey my orders, because, . . . . I'm not the Captain after all. That's a relief. I was only knocking holes out in protest at having to take sole responsibility.

In fact, I'm not even in a boat at all. It's a sofa. And I'm sat in front of a 32 inch widescreen TV/Monitor. It seems I have been thinking in metaphors again. I wish I wouldn't do that, because it makes me post the most stupid shit sometimes. But  It looks like I won't have to swim for it after all. Thanks guys, I almost drowned in my own metaphor then. That would have been horrible.  :fnord: 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

LMNO

Fucking hell. Bobbles the catch but makes the save for a powerful fucking win.

AFK

It was just a little moment that I had to set free. 

Jenne

Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 12, 2011, 09:08:36 PM

This is so dense in the metaphor, I had to re-read it again.

And it harkens back to that "ship" metaphor from a while ago that I believe Roger started in the TFY, S subforum.  Though, the content is different altogether, admittedly.

What strikes me is the "try, try again and get some semblance of satisfaction" message it had for me.  I feel that way, but then something else happens and that just disppears like the proverbial thief in the night.

It's not that I'm surrounded by idiots.  I'm really not.  It's the opposite--I'm surrounded by those who might be idiots sometimes but in general have some redeeming something or other.  So if they were just plain idjits I'd just throw them to the wolves and feel just fine.  But that small redemption keeps my own efforts in play--and this just happens long enough to deplete me for anything else slightly useful.

Anyway...this may seem crosspurposeful so I'll shut up now.  Just wanted to write something a little more than--this was great, thank you again, RWHN for writing more lately. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BadBeast on September 13, 2011, 01:36:25 AM
Just read Dok's "Can I interrupt" thread, and it seems to justify my own right to post stupid pointless shit, like the above comment.

:roll:
Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

Everybody already said it for me!!!

I like it a lot even if it does kick my ass a little and a lot....

AFK

I have this dual pessimistic/optimistic ying-yang festering/fostering in me these days.  I'm more pessimistic than I've ever been about the human race, condition, and community.  It feels like more and more we are sinking into the tar pits.  But there all of these pretty trees around the pits, so we don't really notice.  But more and more I feel at ease in my little corner of this whole set-up.  I feel assured there is more widespread failure to come, but I feel that it is going to be what it is going to be.  BUT, that I'm doing my part to preserve the innocence, drive, and tenacity for playing games in my children.  I feel certain the world they are inhabiting is going to suck worse than the one I discovered when I was born.  But I feel that these kids will at least know themselves....and know HOW to know themselves, should they get a little lost along the way.  And certainly they will.  I did.  We all do.  We all did.  

They shall be armed with themselves, as I am so too armed.  To the hilt!  

They can take away our money.  They can partition us off from the golden streams of wealth.  They can keep us from their leather bound, gold-dipped, caviar laced tomorrows.  But they will fuck with the wrong people should they dare to lay hands upon our Slack!

Jenne

Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 13, 2011, 06:51:42 PM
I have this dual pessimistic/optimistic ying-yang festering/fostering in me these days.  I'm more pessimistic than I've ever been about the human race, condition, and community.  It feels like more and more we are sinking into the tar pits.  But there all of these pretty trees around the pits, so we don't really notice.  But more and more I feel at ease in my little corner of this whole set-up.  I feel assured there is more widespread failure to come, but I feel that it is going to be what it is going to be.  BUT, that I'm doing my part to preserve the innocence, drive, and tenacity for playing games in my children.  I feel certain the world they are inhabiting is going to suck worse than the one I discovered when I was born.  But I feel that these kids will at least know themselves....and know HOW to now themselves, should they get a little lost along the way.  And certainly they will.  I did.  We all do.  We all did. 

They shall be armed with themselves, as I am so too armed.  To the hilt! 

They can take away our money.  They can partition us off from the golden streams of wealth.  They can keep us from their leather bound, gold-dipped, caviar laced tomorrows.  But they will fuck with the wrong people should they dare to lay hands upon our Slack!

And there's where I feel you the most.  And while I think this is just a symptom of getting TOO CLOSE TO THE TRUTH, TOO FAR TO THE FULCRUM...and not having the blessed distance of lack of interaction or atmosphere or collateral damage in BEING INVOLVED...it doesn't diminish its resultant effects, either.

Not by a long shot.

The world still NEEDS us, still needs those bloodying their own noses and smashing their own foreheads againts the perpetual brick wall of "gotta make it right, gotta do SOMETHING."  Maybe the knowledge that's where you're going and taking it is enough to just accept and keep on keepin' on.

I'm not sure.

I'm a big proponent of "you never know how much and what you can handle till you're doing it."  But I'm also a big supporter of "know when to say when."  Small changeups end up not being enough, true, but they can stave off the eventual "fuck off" you feel when you are just this side of stick-a-fork-in-me done.

And they'll always take and take and take--as much as you're able to give and give and give.  THAT is definitely the way of the world.  And never will it change.

So those with intangible goods that are reaped from endeavors like yours, RWHN...they gotta get theirs, most likely, somewhere else.  Or lose their shit as occasionally as it takes to stay in the game.  Somehow.