News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Well this is fucking depressing

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 19, 2012, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah this is why im thinking that having kids might be an unnecessarily cruel fate to give them.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 19, 2012, 10:20:18 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 10:05:23 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 19, 2012, 09:58:28 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 08:56:32 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 19, 2012, 08:49:38 PM
Maybe if villager and i reunite we wont bother with that whole starting a family thing.

Why?  The world has ALWAYS been going to hell.  Pollution was FAR worse at the turn of the last century.

Pollution was. Climate change wasn't.

Our climactic trajectory is bad. Very bad. We haven't passed the point of no return yet, but we've already extracted enough oil to pass the point of no return if we burn it, and of course we will, as we're busily extracting more oil.

Actually, I'm thinking that climate change got it's start, and it's big boost, from 1850-1950.  Coal technology sucks major balls.

What's moving it right along now is automobile engines.  Everyone likes to think it's some Captain Planet-esque group of bad guys.  But it's all of us.

Sure, it got its start, but that's different from a point of no return. And you're exactly right about the cars, although there are other major contributors. We have more people on earth than ever before, and a greater proportion of them than ever before drive.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/26/us-climate-thresholds-idUSBRE82P0UJ20120326

If we lose enough vegetated area that the remaining vegetation not only can't keep up with carbon emissions, but starts to die and add to them... well, "fucked forever" would be putting it lightly.

It's okay, really.

When it gets hot enough, it flips over into an ice age due to water evaporation at the equator.

Freezing temps lock up carbon into the soil quite nicely.  And we've proven that we can survive ice ages.  All we have to do then is start the LONNNNNG, SLOOOOOOW climb back out of savagery.

You know, so we can do it again.  Because we're dumbshits like that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Man Green on October 19, 2012, 07:56:26 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219240/Tar-Sands-Canada-worlds-largest-oil-reserve-173billion-untouched-barrels.html

Not just because of the loss of wilderness, but because of the long-term (decreasingly long-term, I should say) effects on our environment. We are fucking our own goddamn habitat just as fast as we can, and our response to the news "hey, getting all the oil out of the ground and burning it is going to bring the world as we know it to an end" is "OMG! We need to get all the oil out of the ground and burn it before the world comes to an end!"

FOR PROFITS.

GOTTA MAKE AS MANY PROFITS AS WE CAN WHILE WE STILL CAN.

It's like when you catch a little kid eating something that you know is going to make them really sick if they eat any more, and as soon as you tell them that they start eating it as fast as they can because they know you're going to make them stop.

DERP, LOOK, WE DON'T HAVE TO DEPEND ON THE SAUDIS ANYMORE! DERRRRRP!
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Makes you wonder if we've done this before, right?  Been THIS close to interstellar travel, and *plonk*, right back into the mud.  Centuries from now, people will look at our high tension poles, and wonder if they were some sort of mystical power thing.

Like we do with dolmens.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 19, 2012, 10:22:24 PM
Yeah this is why im thinking that having kids might be an unnecessarily cruel fate to give them.

Balls.  This sort of shit is what primates DO.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 10:31:13 PM
Makes you wonder if we've done this before, right?  Been THIS close to interstellar travel, and *plonk*, right back into the mud.  Centuries from now, people will look at our high tension poles, and wonder if they were some sort of mystical power thing.

Like we do with dolmens.

We do it OVER AND OVER. It's WHAT WE DO.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Humanity isn't a goal, it's a process.

Please note that I am not saying that this is a good thing, or that any of our behavior is excuseable.

No, I think I'm writing an indictment, here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 10:31:13 PM

Like we do with dolmens.

:lulz: I've had the same thought.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 10:03:47 PM
And do you know WHY they do that?

It's gonna piss you off.
Do tell. I'm not miserable, tired and edgy enough yet. I haven't reflexively fondled a knife or axe in hours!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"