News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Does advertising erode free will?

Started by Cramulus, November 23, 2010, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geekdad

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 25, 2010, 09:32:23 AM
:|

I don't see any problem as in this context he means something else than "internet catch-phrase / fad", which is the overused meaning of the word.

Let's not have this discussion okay? If this becomes yet another thread derailed into bitching about the word "meme", I'm gonna hold you responsible, not Geekdad for using it first.

<3

I didn't see that question. I would address it but as you warn against prior experience of thread derailment, I won't.

:mrgreen:
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

The Johnny

I started a discussion at Literate Chaotic regarding Wilson Bryan Key's book "The Age of Manipulation: The Con in Confidence, The Sin in Sincere":
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=27503.0
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Jasper

Quote from: Subetai on November 24, 2010, 08:31:16 PM
Has anyone ITT watched The Century of the Self?  It's a 4 part, BBC made documentary entirely about the link between advertising, coercion, psychoanalysis and free will.

Sounds like required material for a thread like this.  I'll see if I can acquire it.

Cain

It should be freely available on Youtube.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

If it's as good as it sounds, I'll want a copy.  I'll have watched it by tonight, after the big dinner.

Kai

I think if you want to go the education route the first step is forming an itemized list of exactly what needs to be educated. Because, frankly, I think we're all using our own personal methods for handling "will combat" (if you will allow that metaphor) and none of us have a general idea of methods.

It's sort of like the book that says "This is bad; you should do something!" and never provides concrete and useful input on how to easily and successfully DO something.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Lies

I always find it funny how I meet people who think and claim they're not affected by advertising, yet when I look around their house and what they are wearing, it's all brands that are on tv/that they are familiar with. If I question why they have those certain things, the usual response is along the lines of "Oh, I just like that brand".

When I point out there are cheaper, similar products around they tell me they were unaware of them, or that they're not familiar with and just assume they're inferior products when really its the same if not better.  

No, no ones manipulating you, you *know* what brands you like, of course you came to that decision yourself.  :wink:

But yeah, I would take it as so far as to say, if anyone can *admit* they are affected by advertising, those would be the people who are the most aware of it, and paradoxically, are the ones that are most likely the least affected by advertising.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Jasper

Bingo.

I think the common focus for any good method here is to focus on being aware of, and appreciating, how effective advertising is.  You can't combat it without knowing, through experience, that advertising is borderline mind control.  You can't fight a war you aren't aware of.

Cain

Here is how I go about it:

- I don't watch TV, listen to the radio and have adblock on my laptop.  Minimizes the input in the first place. 
- If I want to watch a TV program (that I already know I like), I download it online or (if I don't already watch it) rely on my own curiousity or recommendations from friends + a background reading on the premise for the series, though I am fully aware that many websites, especially ones that anyone can edit, will likely have PR people writing entries for their product, and then download it.  Bandwidth is cheap, after all.
- Again with music, I browse at random and download tracks and, to an extent, rely on recommendations from friends.
- I maintain an awareness that peer pressure and viral advertising are also methods used, and try not to place too much stock in friend recommendations on their own.  I must actually like the product.
- If I'm somewhere I cannot avoid advertising, I practice a mental exercise, imagining how this advert was developed, looking for the methods of association with status or certain high value identities the products purport to give a person.  Mentally deconstructing the advert does a lot to lessen the effect.
- I keep in mind that, realistically, I don't honestly need that much.  My brush with poverty has reinforced this belief, to the point that I automatically look for cheaper and more robust alternatives whenever possible, and am willing to cut my losses and go without if this is not to my liking.
- When buying expensive goods, I will try and find customer review websites where checks are in place to make sure the customer has bought the item before they can review it (otherwise, like websites anyone can edit, they are open to abuse by PR writers) and base my choice on the reviews available.

Reginald Ret

If I'm somewhere I cannot avoid advertising, I censure the advertisement by projecting a black blot over the ad. This has two detrimental effects: 1. I am slightly less aware of traffic coming from that direction; and 2. I have a bit of trouble paying attention to black things and people.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

bds

I deal with advertising by not having any money. However effective as an advert is, I still can't act upon it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As an advertiser, I've learned that the most fundamental factor in advertising is simply name recognition. It's related to the fame complex. If people have heard of your product, they will buy it simply because it's "familiar", much as an actor becomes "famous" purely by being recognized. It's incredibly simple, and not that hard to manipulate... the caveat being that you have to have money, time, or connections in order to get your name out there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."