News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

THOUGHTS ON WATCHMEN MOVIE, MOST OF WHICH ARE NOT BY FRED

Started by Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ, March 08, 2009, 04:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cainad on November 07, 2009, 02:33:25 AM
All movies throughout all of history are terrible, and the books are worse.

AMEN

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more.

They're all nothing but mere shadows and imperfect representations of the author's true ideas.

Which is why I limit myself to eating only their brains.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 07, 2009, 03:03:47 PM
Quote from: Cainad on November 07, 2009, 02:33:25 AM
All movies throughout all of history are terrible, and the books are worse.

AMEN

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more.

They're all nothing but mere shadows and imperfect representations of the author's true ideas.

Which is why I limit myself to eating only their brains.

I used to do that, but lately I've decided that I'm not going to expose myself to any creative work whatsoever until I can finally invent a direct neural interface using stem cells, which I will use to merge with the creator's mind directly as if we were one being. Anything less causes the creator's idea(s) to become static and stagnant once they leave the creator's mind and enter mine.

Triple Zero

Way ahead of you, old chap!

I travelled back in time and killed all the artist's mothers and grandfathers, uninvented paper and gave the first semi self conscious proto human a frontal lobotomy, in order to create the essence of Creative Potential in it's most pure, undiluted form.

... in fact I thought you'd have noticed by now? Look around you, man, are those people in possession of a proper functioning brain? Did you see the latest that Hollywood poomped out, were you able to detect any creativity?

No man, I did it, I finally did it, all the Art that could have ever existed is forever protected from the contamination and impurity of existence. And of course dirty fingerprints. Fuck, I hate dirty fingerprints nearly as much as material imperfection.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 07, 2009, 07:41:19 PM
Way ahead of you, old chap!

I travelled back in time and killed all the artist's mothers and grandfathers, uninvented paper and gave the first semi self conscious proto human a frontal lobotomy, in order to create the essence of Creative Potential in it's most pure, undiluted form.

... in fact I thought you'd have noticed by now? Look around you, man, are those people in possession of a proper functioning brain? Did you see the latest that Hollywood poomped out, were you able to detect any creativity?

No man, I did it, I finally did it, all the Art that could have ever existed is forever protected from the contamination and impurity of existence. And of course dirty fingerprints. Fuck, I hate dirty fingerprints nearly as much as material imperfection.

No way! I would never have thought of that; what a brilliant solution!

I trust it's kept hermetically sealed in an underground Faraday cage at constant temperature and pressure, in low- to no-light conditions? I'd hate to know that some creativity might be unleashed that is less than a perfect, quintessential representation of the artist's ideas.

Did you know, I've heard that there are people out in the world who actually make it a priority to enjoy the creative work of others, rather than criticizing the shortcomings of such work? Strange, but true!

Eater of Clowns

The brilliance exibited by such people!  Here I've mistakenly assumed each work unequal in quality or sincerity, cynically believing some artists even produce purposefully manipulative and pointless drivel in simple search of revenue, some puppet of schemers aiming to eradicate quality in favor of the quickness and amount of money sacrificed by their audiences.  What foolishness.

Under this new guidance I instead intend to sit and drool in passive acceptance of whichever images flash before me, be they pointless raping of another man's work or snazzy reboots of the objects of my nostalgia!

Glorious day.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

I take back all my criticisms of this film.  Has anyone here read the script Fox wanted to use for the film?

Oh, where to start.  The modern day setting kinda misses the point, since its the possibility of all out planetary destruction that sets Ozymandias' plan into motion.   To get around this,, Fox changed the entire ending, which involved...er...Ozy going back in time to kill Dr Manhatten.  Or something.

Apparently Warner Bros wanted to tread a similar route, especially with the modern day setting, and Snyder told them if they did, he'd walk.  Snyder also said he'd only be willing to use the Alan Moore approved script (the one written before Hollywood crushed his soul), though with some minor alterations.

Cramulus

I'm reading the graphic novel now and I've gotta say, I'm actually pretty impressed with how faithful the movie was to the original.

Suu

Why must they ruin perfectly good stories by putting them in the present time?!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

For the same reason the Matrix changed the script so people were being used as batteries (which makes no sense at all) instead of as part of a neural net, and why the ending of I Am Legend was changed to completely miss the point of the novel.

Namely, viewers are morons.  Or, at least, executives think viewers are morons.

Rumckle

Did you know they're making a movie based on 'Stairway to Heaven'?
It's starring Jack Black, because he new rock 'n' roll.

Seriously, it is about a guy who guy who goes to heaven, and find out that heaven is actually a mall.

Fucking sounds sweeeeett!!!

ETA: Listening to Led Zeppelin, and kinda drunk, probably best to ingore
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2010, 03:00:03 PM
For the same reason the Matrix changed the script so people were being used as batteries (which makes no sense at all) instead of as part of a neural net, and why the ending of I Am Legend was changed to completely miss the point of the novel.

Namely, viewers are morons.  Or, at least, executives think viewers are morons.

What was the ending, and the point therein of the novel?

Cain

The "vampires" are actually intelligent beings capable of empathy, and the doctor who we thought was the hero (whom, as you may recall, was abducting and carrying out medical experiments on them) was the real monster.

Freeky

Ooooh... I thought I saw a moment like that in the movie, when he caught the chick, and then later when the "vampire" guy tricked the doctor the same way he tricked them first.

I need to read the book, it seems.