News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

It Really Makes You Think

Started by Phox, November 01, 2012, 05:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

A young high school football star, killed in a tragic car accident.

It really makes you think...

A bright young honors student, dead at 17.

A loving family man, shot in the street for no reason.

No, it doesn't.

What people are really saying when they say that is that "I'm not used to thinking, it makes me stop smiling". Thinking about the consequences of our actions, the realities of life and death, and the bitterness of the inevitable end are hard things. I walk around with a smile, just like anyone else, most of the time. I rarely contemplate these things unless I'm sitting alone in my room. But some days... some days, I do think about it all. And I don't smile. But neither do I frown. I am merely neutral. and if someone asks what I am thinking, and I answer honestly, they think I'm morbid, or gothy, or a real "misery chick". While they believe that I'm fascinated with death, I am merely contemplating the brevity of life and what it is that I can do to make the final curtain less dark and grim. I'm a realist, but also, optimistic that the future is not just a fade to black.

Doktor D. Jennifer Phox,
Misery Chick

(the dreadful hours, my first thought to your latest offering was "It really made me think..." a phrase that I have grown weary of in the past few days. So, thanks for reminding me to think.)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on November 01, 2012, 05:46:04 PM
What people are really saying when they say that is that "I'm not used to thinking, it makes me stop smiling".

DING DING DING
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

No, it doesn't.

What people are really saying when they say that is that "I'm not used to thinking, it makes me stop smiling". Thinking about the consequences of our actions, the realities of life and death, and the bitterness of the inevitable end are hard things. I walk around with a smile, just like anyone else, most of the time. I rarely contemplate these things unless I'm sitting alone in my room. But some days... some days, I do think about it all. And I don't smile. But neither do I frown. I am merely neutral. and if someone asks what I am thinking, and I answer honestly, they think I'm morbid, or gothy, or a real "misery chick". While they believe that I'm fascinated with death, I am merely contemplating the brevity of life and what it is that I can do to make the final curtain less dark and grim. I'm a realist, but also, optimistic that the future is not just a fade to black.

Doktor D. Jennifer Phox,
Misery Chick

(the dreadful hours, my first thought to your latest offering was "It really made me think..." a phrase that I have grown weary of in the past few days. So, thanks for reminding me to think.)

Sounds like you're doing better...I think?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Elder Iptuous

iron in your words, Phox. thanks
The Memento Mori is out of style these days, unfortunately.

Epimetheus

You Only Live Once!!

..But You Certainly Don't Die!!  :banana:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Phox

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on November 01, 2012, 07:30:46 PM

No, it doesn't.

Doktor D. Jennifer Phox,
Misery Chick

Sounds like you're doing better...I think?
Yes, better. :)

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 01, 2012, 08:53:52 PM
iron in your words, Phox. thanks
The Memento Mori is out of style these days, unfortunately.
Glad you liked it. :)

And yeah, you are absolutely right. But.. it's not like it ever was IN style, as much as more people embraced it at least for brief moments. Now, it seems, that we are all smiling. Just for the sake of a smile. There is no joy in Mudville, just empty, meaningless smiles.

Dildo Argentino

Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Dildo Argentino

Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."