News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

So you fucking think fry cooks don't deserve a higher minimum wage?

Started by Don Coyote, June 16, 2015, 05:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 25, 2015, 02:37:01 PM
No, what I've been doing has been very specific... saying that economics itself, as a field, does not use the scientific method, and specifically the components of developing a falsifiable hypothesis and testing the hypothesis against collected data, as a integral component of itself. While yes, there are examples of where it is used, it is not a defining feature, as evidenced by the continued acceptance as a valid viewpoint, things such as the Austrian school, Laissez-faire capitalism, and the Chicago school.

OK, I tormented myself by filtering through that shitshow of posturing to find the one paragraph that has some substance.

So you are now backing away from the "social science is not science" claim now, and are back to "economics as a field doesn't use the scientific method"? OK. Since myself, Cain, and LMNO have refuted this claim, and since you have clearly declined to actually read the links we've posed, as evidenced by the fact that you reposted one I posted earlier and it doesn't support your views, even though apparently you think it does, I think I am done talking to you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev Thwack

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 25, 2015, 03:20:20 PM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 25, 2015, 02:37:01 PM
No, what I've been doing has been very specific... saying that economics itself, as a field, does not use the scientific method, and specifically the components of developing a falsifiable hypothesis and testing the hypothesis against collected data, as a integral component of itself. While yes, there are examples of where it is used, it is not a defining feature, as evidenced by the continued acceptance as a valid viewpoint, things such as the Austrian school, Laissez-faire capitalism, and the Chicago school.

OK, I tormented myself by filtering through that shitshow of posturing to find the one paragraph that has some substance.

So you are now backing away from the "social science is not science" claim now, and are back to "economics as a field doesn't use the scientific method"? OK. Since myself, Cain, and LMNO have refuted this claim, and since you have clearly declined to actually read the links we've posed, as evidenced by the fact that you reposted one I posted earlier and it doesn't support your views, even though apparently you think it does, I think I am done talking to you.
First, I never said I'm not still taking the same stance on social science in general. Instead, I'm directly responding to a request you made of a point by point detail on my original claim. The call of all social science as not being a science is incidental to the original discussion and yet another example of your constant efforts to distract from the topic into any statement you think you might be able to argue against, no matter how far removed from the original point of contention.

Second, I love your continued use of yourself and a few others here as the true authorities of what does and doesn't constitute a science. It's even more amusing to watch you place yourselves higher than actual experts in the fields and their takes on it.

Third, you'll probably want to read the links again if you feel they don't support my claim. Every link I posted contains people stating the same thing I am... That economics is not a science.

Forth, you really should learn the basics of debate. Your continual misdirection, refuting unclaimed points, and insults do you little justice if you want to be taken as someone with any ability for rational thought or intellectual prowess.
My balls itch...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 25, 2015, 04:36:41 PM
Second, I love your continued use of yourself and a few others here as the true authorities of what does and doesn't constitute a science. It's even more amusing to watch you place yourselves higher than actual experts in the fields and their takes on it.

Yes, that's why we keep posting links to actual experts. Sounds legit.

Third, you'll probably want to read the links again if you feel they don't support my claim. Every link I posted contains people stating the same thing I am... That economics is not a science.

:lulz: That's not what Shiller said, at all.

Forth, you really should learn the basics of debate. Your continual misdirection, refuting unclaimed points, and insults do you little justice if you want to be taken as someone with any ability for rational thought or intellectual prowess.

Yes, I shall go forth and learn the basics of debate! I know nothing of this. I want ppl to think im smrt, everybody currently sees me as a blithering idiot.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev Thwack

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 25, 2015, 04:43:20 PM

Yes, that's why we keep posting links to actual experts. Sounds legit.

:lulz: That's not what Shiller said, at all.

Yes, I shall go forth and learn the basics of debate! I know nothing of this. I want ppl to think im smrt, everybody currently sees me as a blithering idiot.
So, let's look at what Shiller said...

"We judge economics by what it can produce. As such, economics is rather more like engineering than physics, more practical than spiritual."

"Fields of endeavour that use "science" in their titles tend to be those that get masses of people emotionally involved and in which crackpots seem to have some purchase on public opinion. These fields have "science" in their names to distinguish them from their disreputable cousins."

"My belief is that economics is somewhat more vulnerable than the physical sciences to models whose validity will never be clear, because the necessity for approximation is much stronger than in the physical sciences, especially given that the models describe people rather than magnetic resonances or fundamental particles."

"The challenge has been to combine its mathematical insights with the kinds of adjustments that are needed to make its models fit the economy's irreducibly human element."

"And, while economics presents its own methodological problems, the basic challenges facing researchers are not fundamentally different from those faced by researchers in other fields. As economics develops, it will broaden its repertory of methods and sources of evidence, the science will become stronger, and the charlatans will be exposed."

Shiller proposes a question, but never gives a direct answer. Instead, he frames his response to suggest that science is something economics is still becoming. He acknowledges that it has flaws, that it is still developing its methodology... Nowhere does he state that it is currently a science, but instead argues that it is incorporating more and more of what it means to be a science.

As far as the experts you've posted stating it is a science, you might want to check those links again. There is not one you posted where they state that social sciences or economics are a science. Instead, you'll find that two of them actually state that economics is more like engineering than science. You've accused me of not reading your links twice now, which I have... I'm trying to decide if you have issues with reading comprehension or issues with projecting.
My balls itch...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Johnny

Twahck, what the fuck is wrong with your paragraph spacing  :lulz:

Even my transcription of your stupid video has better format and that just shows that you write things out of compulsion and for yourself rather than to have a real conversation with others. You seem to conversate to others rather than with.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Rev Thwack

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 25, 2015, 06:39:08 PM
I think that you are a victim of confirmation bias.
Considering the track record you've displayed so far of mislabelling statements as fallacies, combined with your constant use of fallacies and reliance on insults instead of evidence backed arguments and strong reasoning, I don't put much stock in this thought of yours.
My balls itch...

Rev Thwack

Quote from: The Johnny on June 25, 2015, 06:50:11 PM
Twahck, what the fuck is wrong with your paragraph spacing  :lulz:

Even my transcription of your stupid video has better format and that just shows that you write things out of compulsion and for yourself rather than to have a real conversation with others. You seem to conversate to others rather than with.
Yea... Using Tapatalk and still used to other sites that have issues with paragraphs needing multiple returns.
My balls itch...

Don Coyote

Well, I have learned very much about this Thwack person.  :lulz:

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 25, 2015, 07:07:13 PM

The question is, does he deserve minimum wage, or would that raise inflation?  :?
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

LMNO

Quote from: Demolition Squid on June 25, 2015, 07:17:49 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on June 25, 2015, 07:07:13 PM

The question is, does he deserve minimum wage, or would that raise inflation?  :?

Quote from: Cain on June 25, 2015, 07:30:04 PM
You'd have to ask a scientist.

There's no way to answer the question right now, because there is no scientific way to understand economics, by definition.

hooplala

Can I just say as someone who knows almost literally nothing about economics, that this entire thread has been utterly fascinating. For several reasons.

Also, Nigel, I love you even harder.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on June 25, 2015, 09:36:09 PM
Can I just say as someone who knows almost literally nothing about economics, that this entire thread has been utterly fascinating. For several reasons.

Also, Nigel, I love you even harder.

:kiss:

Sepia

working as a cook/chef sounds so horribly horrible in us, you have my condolences. if moving to norway ever becomes a topic we need cooks/chefs in oslo and if you know one who can start next wednesday on the outdoor grill, all prep is done in the morning, service from 12 to 18/20ish depending on crowd/weather and get paid for 12 to 20 every day anyhow please send him my way

ps two cold three hot dishes

e ok fry cook was something else in my mind hi nevermind me

e2 ok actually tried to get a job flipping burgers when i was like 24 or something and desperate and both mcdonalds and burger king said i was too old and later on someone told me they dont hire anyone but management over 20 so i guess thats how you do it here
Everyone will always be too late