News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Thursday is a very special day for Americans.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 20, 2012, 05:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I'm still tickled that 10 years ago, we called it Black Friday out of contempt while working in the industry. Now it's capitalist vernacular, and I have Steely Dan stuck in my head all day.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 21, 2012, 04:12:15 PM
i have noticed a trend this year, that i haven't seen heretofore where advertisements announce that so-and-so company is 'celebrating' black friday.  so far, i've heard adds for three separate stores using these terms.  anybody else noticed this?

that's an interesting twist, making it a holiday in its own right....

I have noticed that. I think that's why I've been more inclined to stab someone in the eye each time I hear one.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Bruno

I'll probably go to Walmart early early early Friday morning to buy a potato or something.

That always fucks with them.
Formerly something else...

Sita

The store was insane this past weekend when we went for groceries. I sure as hell am not going out on Friday. Wouldn't make it back alive.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I'm always broke on holidays anyway, people spend their money on holiday crap, not calling me.
It wasn't any different when I worked retail, they'd cut our hours in the weeks leading up to the time they got busy so everything would average out. The last place I worked retail was a supermarket. Motherfuckers wouldn't even give us a fucking turkey.

I wouldn't participate if I had the money to burn, but the bank holidays holding up my direct deposits, general scarcity and people asking "What are you doing for thanksgiving?" and "How was your Christmas" are annoying as fuck.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

I went to Michael's today, and found out they're open tomorrow.  That fucking sucks.  National holiday, and more and more stores are too obsessed with money to even give their employees time off for actual family crap (if they want to do that kind of thing). 

Also, what the fuck are people so desperate for at Michael's on Thanksgiving?

ETA: Oh wait. Davis Monthan.  Military without families nearby.  Okay, sort of legit for any business to be open.  But still shitty.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 21, 2012, 12:53:21 PM
Thanksgiving was the one holiday everyone in my family liked.  Dad would get a whole bunch of different people to come over, from SoHo artists to Korean physicists, and we'd all sit around, get drunk, eat amazing food, and talk.  It's what I imagined one of the old salons would have been like. 

To me it's not about family.  No, that's not quite right.  For me, it's about family, because those are the people who are meaningful to me.  It's also about my closest friends, because they're also meaningful to me.  If you don't like your family, then abandon them, and go find the people who make your life FUN and worth living, and have Thanksgiving with them. 

This year, I'm going to cook for my mom, Mrs LMNO, and three of my closest friends.  We're going to have brisket, spiced winter squash with pomagranite, and a kale and brussels sprout salad.  There will be NO shopping on Friday.

I used to host Thanksgiving for all my orphaned friends, until my divorce. I could not fucking handle it that year, and I didn't even have the kids, and Mr. Vintage invited me to his legendary Thanksgiving dinner. That night, I got wasted and fell asleep curled up on the coat pile. I have gone there every year since; Mr. Vintage's Thanksgiving has seen me through three heartbreaks and one divorce. In some way that house is more "home" to me than my own house.

I really enjoy Thanksgiving now, because all I have to do is make a big dish of rutabagas and drive out to the Vintage home in St. Johns, where my every whim will be pandered to and I am treated like a god for my ability to make decent gravy. It's curious that after all these years the only time I have gone with a partner was the year I was dating Space Cowboy, who is also there every year.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on November 21, 2012, 04:26:55 PM
I'm still tickled that 10 years ago, we called it Black Friday out of contempt while working in the industry. Now it's capitalist vernacular, and I have Steely Dan stuck in my head all day.

Yeah, I think it dates back to the sixties in the derogatory sense. I'm not sure when it got co-opted by the corporations and re-framed as a GOOD thing.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."