News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah, the lead connection is one that is taken fairly seriously by criminologists and some scientists.

I believe it's not just the timing of the drop, but also the factor of the drop in said crime when compared with countries that still use it.  I cannot remember it exactly now, as it was a while ago. but the factor of the drop was almost exactly the factor of the difference, when other variables were accounted for.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2014, 06:16:11 AM
Yeah, the lead connection is one that is taken fairly seriously by criminologists and some scientists.

I believe it's not just the timing of the drop, but also the factor of the drop in said crime when compared with countries that still use it.  I cannot remember it exactly now, as it was a while ago. but the factor of the drop was almost exactly the factor of the difference, when other variables were accounted for.

I'll see if I can find the research paper I remember that was by a researcher who looked specifically at correlations in the US state-by-state and county-by-county, then hypothesized expected decreases in violence in Europe based on later lead removal times, and found her hypothesis to be validated by crime statistics.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Thanks.  The way my week is shaping up, I probably wont be able to read it until the weekend, but at least I'll have a paper to reference should it come up again.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2014, 06:39:21 AM
Thanks.  The way my week is shaping up, I probably wont be able to read it until the weekend, but at least I'll have a paper to reference should it come up again.

YW! You seem to just be crazy busy right now, but I'm interested in your take on this.

Cain

I might have time tomorrow.  Basically my schedule is roughly 10 hours of writing today, maybe polishing it up and sending it tomorrow depending on how that goes, then working Wednesday and Friday night.  Oh, and my father's birthday is happening somewhere in all of that.  And I need to figure out how to get to Amesbury at some point, too.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2014, 07:17:45 AM
I might have time tomorrow.  Basically my schedule is roughly 10 hours of writing today, maybe polishing it up and sending it tomorrow depending on how that goes, then working Wednesday and Friday night.  Oh, and my father's birthday is happening somewhere in all of that.  And I need to figure out how to get to Amesbury at some point, too.

Good lord! That's a lot to handle. Whenever you have the time to think about it, I'm interested, but obviously you have a lot that takes priority.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 23, 2014, 06:34:27 AM
Here it is: http://www.nber.org/papers/w13097.pdf

Badasssss! A professor of mine threw out the Lead/Crime thing as a nifty factoid one time in class, and it's stuck in my brain ever since even though I never saw the literature for it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 23, 2014, 12:04:06 PM

Badasssss! A professor of mine threw out the Lead/Crime thing as a nifty factoid one time in class, and it's stuck in my brain ever since even though I never saw the literature for it.

It's pretty interesting... it's far from achieving consensus, but there's a good and growing body of evidence to support the likelihood that lead is at least a contributing factor.

minuspace

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 23, 2014, 10:08:11 PM
Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 23, 2014, 12:04:06 PM

It's pretty interesting... it's far from achieving consensus, but there's a good and growing body of evidence to support the likelihood that lead is at least a contributing factor.
After taking abilify, for lead exposure, I'm now exponentially less retarded when controlling my impulses to collect paint chips to pulverize and inhale.  Yay!

Junkenstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28227713

QuoteShortly after Germany's 7-1 win, Bung Moktar Radin tweeted: "WELL DONE..BRAVO...LONG LIVE HITLER..."

QuoteHe told Malaysian newspaper The Star that he meant to compare the German team's performance to how Hitler fought in World War II.

"I don't know what's wrong with people sometimes. Hitler is part of history and the German team fought like how he did," he said.

Comment not required.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Pæs

I was limited to 140 characters so my nuanced comparison between the fighting spirit of the German players and the atrocious but nevertheless fierce and determined actions of the leader of Nazi Germany came out as a hearty cheer for zombie Hitler to rise again.

Junkenstein

I see you've read his apology statement then.

Semi-seriously, this region of the world has had quite the fascination with Hitler for a while. If memory serves, he was(still is?) quite the cultural icon in India and Burma. It's rather odd indeed and I suspect Cain could provide more insight/details there than I can. 
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

To be fair, after Germany scored five goals in 29 minutes, I'm guessing Brazil felt somewhat like being on the receiving end of a Panzer attack.

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 09, 2014, 12:05:18 PM
I see you've read his apology statement then.

Semi-seriously, this region of the world has had quite the fascination with Hitler for a while. If memory serves, he was(still is?) quite the cultural icon in India and Burma. It's rather odd indeed and I suspect Cain could provide more insight/details there than I can.

They see Hitler as an anti-colonial fighter who bravely warred against the despotic and expansionist British Empire, basically.

And to be fair, Britain in those parts of the world was, at times, not far removed from Nazi Germany at all.