News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Rand Paul finally commits the ultimate sin.

Started by LMNO, November 05, 2013, 06:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://www.kirj.ee/public/Ecology/2007/issue_1/bio-2007-1-7.pdf

QuoteAccording to the third hypothesis, for the formation of a rat king, rats should
first huddle together as they usually do when sleeping in the nest chamber,
especially when it is cold. If their tails become glued or frozen together, animals
try to free themselves by moving in different directions. These chaotic movements
may result in their tails becoming entangled in a tight knot. Even after removal of
the initial cause (sticky substance or ice), they are no longer able to escape from
the knot. The sticky substance may be blood, food items, nesting material, etc.
The Estonian finds support the last hypothesis. In two cases for which relevant
information is available, the kings were created in the shelter, not outside
(animals tried to get out, not in). In both cases the weather was frosty. Indeed, the
rat king of Saru was found after a sudden drop in the air temperature from above
to below zero. The gluing/freezing hypothesis is also causally supported by the
worldwide geography of rat king finds: rat kings are very rare in regions with
warm climates, where the freezing of tails is completely ruled out. Apart from the
king of Java, all finds were made in Central and Eastern Europe. Why there? It
seems that rat kings occur in regions where two factors coincide: cold winters and
the presence of the black rat. Indeed, the black rat is more common in Southern
Europe, but there are mild winters there. Winters are severe in Northern Europe
and Canada, but there are no black rats or they are very rare. There are large
numbers of brown rats, R. norvegicus, in Northern Europe and North America,
but they do not create rat kings. This is obviously due to their relatively shorter,
thicker, and less flexible tails than in R. rattus.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Good lord.

Fascinating, but I'm oddly squicked by that.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 08, 2013, 05:25:19 PM
Good lord.

Fascinating, but I'm oddly squicked by that.

It's one of Nature's most disturbing little treats.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Personally I'm ok with plagiarism. To say otherwise would be to support the concept of intellectual property, and that is something that I absolutely will not do.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 16, 2013, 04:40:38 AM
Personally I'm ok with plagiarism. To say otherwise would be to support the concept of intellectual property, and that is something that I absolutely will not do.

Yes, artists should all fucking starve or get day jobs.

You entitled fuckwad.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Because getting ripped off by your record label/film studio/tech company because you didn't read all of the fine print or misunderstood the legalese is so much better than getting ripped off by actual people.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 16, 2013, 06:09:21 AM
Because getting ripped off by your record label/film studio/tech company because you didn't read all of the fine print is so much better than getting ripped off by actual people.

Because YOUR crime is okay, and a contractual agreement isn't.

Again, you hate artists.  Move to North Korea.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

"THE LABEL IS JUST GONNA RIP THEM OFF ANYWAY, LET'S STEAL THEIR SHIT"

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 08, 2013, 06:43:57 AM
It's a goddamn rat king.

Apropos, somehow.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on November 16, 2013, 06:17:43 AM
"THE LABEL IS JUST GONNA RIP THEM OFF ANYWAY, LET'S STEAL THEIR SHIT"

When it comes right down to it, the justification is "because it's easy to do".  Which is sort of like mugging old ladies.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

The argument is that it's actually the label I'm ripping off since they're the only one that actually profits.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 16, 2013, 07:01:08 AM
The argument is that it's actually the label I'm ripping off since they're the only one that actually profits.

You are an idiot.

Don Coyote

You're a fucking idiot. plagiarism isn't even about ip.

Demolition Squid

Its an impressive level of ignorance.

'The way the concept of intellectual property has been applied in the case of one particular industry means that I will never support it'.

Ignoring that intellectual property covers literary work, artwork, all forms of design and innovation. In fact, pretty much anything that involves creating something is covered under intellectual property law. But the examples people immediately jump to are music, tv ,film and video games because these are the things people want to steal.

Yes, some rights holders act like douchebags. But this also ignores the fact that the internet is allowing us to directly support artists like never before. But clearly, we should ignore the growing direct participation movement in the creative arts and scrap their ability to say 'Hey, I made that!' Because corporations, man, the fuckin' corporations.

Also, bear in mind that for a lot of these projects - especially video games, TV and film - the 'label' (or publisher or investor or whateverthefuck) that soaks up all these profits away from these 'true' artists, are the only reason the project gets made at all. The massive amount of up-front production cost in all these areas is prohibitive for allowing a bunch of people to get together and 'just make' a top-quality product. In a surprisingly large number of cases, these 'evil corporations' wind up pissing away millions of dollars because the final product just isn't up to standard and never sees the light of day.

So the only way to make that art is with millions of bucks up front and the skilled artists don't have that money. So, they accept a wage, and in return, they get access to more resources than 'whatever me, Joel and Francine can pull together in our bedroom after we've finished our shifts at the Kwik-e-Mart'.

That seems like a fair trade off to me.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

LMNO

You know, when I'm poring through the fifteenth pivot table of the day, calculating the received cost basis on an exchange that involves code 1035 of the IRS regulations at 8:00 in the morning, I am SO THANKFUL I never sold out to the Man to become a professional musician.

Q. G. Pennyworth

You know, I have some pretty radical opinions on copyright and IP...

...and even I think you're a fucking idiot.  :fuckoff: