News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

what do you mean, "original"?

Started by GrannySmith, December 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 09:22:48 PM
Quote from: Telarus on December 17, 2013, 09:16:32 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:03:37 PM
I'm guessing it was an unwarrented attempt at familiarity.

I don't usually comment on this stuff, but that's how I took it. She seemed to be trying to re-frame away from "How's that? Get away from me." into a mode where communication could actually happen. Successful? Apparently not. She has been here 3 years and has over 2k posts, she may have thought she had enough rapport with forum to go with a nickname for Roger.

:shrug:

It's a he.

Is it? I thought they'd mentioned a "GrandpaSmith" a time or two.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:19:54 PM
Does anyone have a nickname for Roger, other than "Mad Bastard"?

I believe it's been stated a few times that the only person he lets call him "Rog" must be someone he's having sex with.

This is fact.  I don't get pissed when friends call me "Rog", but if I notice it I usually correct them.

Unless they're willing to get funky.  In which case, you know...

Is getting funky with Roger contraindicated in people who currently have Nigel's dick up their ass?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 09:26:26 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 09:22:48 PM
Quote from: Telarus on December 17, 2013, 09:16:32 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:03:37 PM
I'm guessing it was an unwarrented attempt at familiarity.

I don't usually comment on this stuff, but that's how I took it. She seemed to be trying to re-frame away from "How's that? Get away from me." into a mode where communication could actually happen. Successful? Apparently not. She has been here 3 years and has over 2k posts, she may have thought she had enough rapport with forum to go with a nickname for Roger.

:shrug:

It's a he.

Is it? I thought they'd mentioned a "GrandpaSmith" a time or two.

Entirely possible.  My once-traplike memory has eroded in my infirm old age.  It's like in Flowers for Algernon.

When you get a letter written in crayon, you're supposed to cry dramatically.  Just a head's up.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 17, 2013, 09:27:35 PM

I believe it's been stated a few times that the only person he lets call him "Rog" must be someone he's having sex with.

This is fact.  I don't get pissed when friends call me "Rog", but if I notice it I usually correct them.

Is getting funky with Roger contraindicated in people who currently have Nigel's dick up their ass?

I hope not, since EVERYONE has Nigel's dick up their arse, and I'd like to get laid once in a while.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 09:25:08 PM

Even "asshole" is okay.

I just don't like diminuatives of my name.  And "Rogie" was deliberately condescending.

Yeah. "Rog" might be an accidental misstep while trying  to be conciliatory, but "Rogie" would be like someone calling me "Niggie". Or Telarus "Tellie". It's the equivalent of calling someone "boy".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 09:28:37 PM

Even "asshole" is okay.

I just don't like diminuatives of my name.  And "Rogie" was deliberately condescending.

Yeah. "Rog" might be an accidental misstep while trying  to be conciliatory, but "Rogie" would be like someone calling me "Niggie". Or Telarus "Tellie". It's the equivalent of calling someone "boy".

On that note, please change your name back to some variant of Nigel.  I feel like I've been standing on my head for a month.

LMNO

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 09:28:37 PM

Even "asshole" is okay.

Someone calling you "Niggie" would have a lot more problems than condescension.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:31:59 PM

Even "asshole" is okay.

Well, until all the skin came off.  After that, smooth sailing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 09:29:38 PM

Even "asshole" is okay.

On that note, please change your name back to some variant of Nigel.  I feel like I've been standing on my head for a month.

:lulz: But RADAGAST'S RED VELVET PANCAKE PUPPIES!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 09:32:27 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 09:31:59 PM

Even "asshole" is okay.

Well, until all the skin came off.  After that, smooth sailing.

:lulz:

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 17, 2013, 08:21:14 AM
Is "hipster" a bad name?

It is to me. I considered it one of the most offensive insults. I lump it with sterilized fun. Rock N Roll with no BALLS!

Pæs

FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

WHAT'S A DIMINUTIVE FORM OF "GRANNY"?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Officer What's His /b/ear on December 17, 2013, 09:56:35 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 17, 2013, 08:21:14 AM
Is "hipster" a bad name?

It is to me. I considered it one of the most offensive insults. I lump it with sterilized fun. Rock N Roll with no BALLS!

I like that.  Not sure I entirely agree, but I like it.

GrannySmith

Quote from: Pæs on December 17, 2013, 10:12:03 PM
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

grannylein, in german at least :)

Roger, i guess we have different views of what is friendly or what not, and of what is acceptable or what not. unlike you, i don't mind being called nicknames, and in my cultures this is totally acceptable, even from strangers. also unlike you apparently, i don't like being called neither hipster nor shiteye or whatever that was, and I don't make a scene. anyway, that nickname calling and kiss sending was a failed attempt on switching the note from screaming to friendly, and maybe even have a conversation in the end, but oh well.  :wave:
  X  

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GrannySmith on December 17, 2013, 10:34:18 PM
Quote from: Pæs on December 17, 2013, 10:12:03 PM
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

grannylein, in german at least :)

Roger, i guess we have different views of what is friendly or what not, and of what is acceptable or what not. unlike you, i don't mind being called nicknames, and in my cultures this is totally acceptable, even from strangers. also unlike you apparently, i don't like being called neither hipster nor shiteye or whatever that was, and I don't make a scene. anyway, that nickname calling and kiss sending was a failed attempt on switching the note from screaming to friendly, and maybe even have a conversation in the end, but oh well.  :wave:

Well, just a heads-up; most Americans do NOT like being called by nicknames or diminutives by people tehy aren;t close to, particularly during an argumentative conversation.