News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Life in the Age of Dumb, part 2: A vengeful tide.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 08, 2004, 07:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Rupert Giles

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerSpeak up, man.

Ah Sayd, "Ee's a teet beet nippla in 'ere!"

Lister

So if Bush gets re-elected, he'll get the blame?
Maybe he even sponsored Michael Moore, so he won't get elected again...

One thing I've been curious for a While...
What's employment in the US like?

If you turn on the tv here to the usual american rubbish, everyone needs 2 jobs a day to make ends meet, can get fired on a whim (arrive half an hour late from work and you're fired), work 12-hour days with almost no breaks,...

How much of this is true?
What's an average (or median if you like) income over there?
How much is minimum wage?
When I was a little man
Playdough came in a little can
I was Star Wars' biggest fan
Now I'm stuck without a plan
GI Joe was an action man
Shaggy drove the mystery van
Devo was my favorite band
Take me back to my happy land

BADGE OF HONOR

Like everything else, employment varies with location and type.  If you have a job that requires a lot of training, and has few workers available, for damn sure job security is high.  But if you have a low-skill job, which lots of people can fill, you better make yourself a shining example.  Also different markets supply different jobs--like my sister had a hell of a time getting a job in Boston, but I could wander downtown and get myself employed within a day.  If I weren't a lazy bum.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ListerSo if Bush gets re-elected, he'll get the blame?
Maybe he even sponsored Michael Moore, so he won't get elected again...

One thing I've been curious for a While...
What's employment in the US like?

If you turn on the tv here to the usual american rubbish, everyone needs 2 jobs a day to make ends meet, can get fired on a whim (arrive half an hour late from work and you're fired), work 12-hour days with almost no breaks,...

How much of this is true?
What's an average (or median if you like) income over there?
How much is minimum wage?

Kerry is leading 54/43 right now.  No president since WWII has been re-elected without having at least 50 in the polls.

It is almost universally true (the jobs bit)...except for the top 9% or so.

Median wage is ~20K/year.

Minimum wage depends on the state, but the fed minimum is $5.40/hr, I believe.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wenchmaster KLike everything else, employment varies with location and type.  If you have a job that requires a lot of training, and has few workers available, for damn sure job security is high.  But if you have a low-skill job, which lots of people can fill, you better make yourself a shining example.  Also different markets supply different jobs--like my sister had a hell of a time getting a job in Boston, but I could wander downtown and get myself employed within a day.  If I weren't a lazy bum.

That SOUNDS reassuring, but can you explain the drop off in jobs across the board?

I can.

BADGE OF HONOR

I was talking about the way job markets work, not the current state of employment here, which is any job that could possibly be exported is.  Stupid greedy corps.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Guido Finucci

Apparently, in 2002 only 57% of the reading population of the US actually bothered to read a book at all.

Amongst adult men it is even worse -- only 38% of them read any literature (plays, poems and narrative fiction count).

Which one of your Presidents was it that said, "An informed electorate being the cornerstone of any successful democracy, we should get the fuck out of Dodge while we can and institute an autocracy before anyone notices"?

slothrop23

dont the saudi royal family have about 2 trillion dollors in the american oil market or whatever it is. does that mean if they decide to withdraw it america would crumble. at least clinton saved the budget, but bush within six months fucked it right. add up the arse as applicable.
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Lister

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
It is almost universally true (the jobs bit)...except for the top 9% or so.

I am shocked...

You mean TV was right?

I expected TV to lie to me; it had always lied to me before...  

You used to know where you stood with TV back in the day, and then it suddenly starts spouting out true stuff...

Everytime I saw such a reference on TV (in some movie or show) when someone got fired because they were late, or just because one customer complained, I always thought "nah, it can't be that bad"...

I hopefully assume that 20k a year is after income taxes and including bonusses...  That would make it roughly the same as over here, easing my mind a bit...
When I was a little man
Playdough came in a little can
I was Star Wars' biggest fan
Now I'm stuck without a plan
GI Joe was an action man
Shaggy drove the mystery van
Devo was my favorite band
Take me back to my happy land

Trollax

Quote from: Guido FinucciApparently, in 2002 only 57% of the reading population of the US actually bothered to read a book at all.

Amongst adult men it is even worse -- only 38% of them read any literature (plays, poems and narrative fiction count).

Which one of your Presidents was it that said, "An informed electorate being the cornerstone of any successful democracy, we should get the fuck out of Dodge while we can and institute an autocracy before anyone notices"?

Don't worry, I can more than make up for that. My library is about a third of the boxes going to the new house...

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Minimum wage depends on the state, but the fed minimum is $5.40/hr, I believe.
Jesus Roger! even with the way the OZ economy was back in 2000 I was making twice that an hour at 16 years of age!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
CLI may be high here, but the federal minimum wage for a legal adult is $10.00 OZ per hour accross the board, for juniors it can be anywhere from $7.50 to $9.00 (what I was making in my last job) If you're a qualified professional (apprenticeship or degree) you can earn anywhere from $15.00 to $35.00 an hour. Even when the Australian dollar was worth 49.7 US cents My sister (who get's paid $20.00 an hour as a vocal teacher and $12.50 at the organic shop)  is making twice the American minimum wage...

gnimbley

Trollax

Quote from: gnimbleyWelcome to the Brave New World.

I never voted for Orwell.

gnimbley

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODD
Quote from: gnimbleyWelcome to the Brave New World.

I never voted for Orwell.

Nor for Huxley either, it would appear.