News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Jousts and Tournaments: Charny and the Rules for Chivalric Sport in Fourteenth Century France Steven Muhlberger

This is what I get for wandering around in the post library while my Kindle downloads all the free books I had 'purchased' this week.

Reginald Ret

I'm re-reading  Olympos by Dan Simmons.
Its the sequal to Illium and both books are crammed full of references to pretty much all the great literary works(The work of Homer, Shakespeare, Proust to name a few) and has a scarily high information density. Also, lots of quantum, timetravel and creatures from other dimensions done in proper form.
I can best describe it as High Sci-Fi.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Finished Pandemonium.  Wasn't bad, especially for a first novel, but I did guess the outline of the plot about a quarter of the way through.  This could just be down to obsessive reading of TV Tropes, though.

Now reading Kraken by China Mieville, who I've been meaning to read for forever but have only just got around to yesterday.  Kraken is pretty good.  The start is fairly routine, the main character a curator at the Natural History Museum specializing in molluscs, giving a tour.  But then, a fully preserved giant squid  - Architeuthis dux - is somehow stolen from the museum.  And then Scotland Yard's Fundamentalist and Sect Related Crime Unit, are put on the case....

Don Coyote

Sister_Gothique

I'm the new "God's Will"...Soon it'll be, "Oh, I can't be held accountable for THAT, Sister Gothique made me do it!"

Jasper

I just got my hands on a copy of John Dies At The End.  Goanna read it soon!

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Sister_Gothique on October 10, 2010, 05:22:15 AM
Machiavelli-The Prince

One of the most brain popping books I've read, this.

Also, now reading Thomas Payne's 'The American Crisis'. Blah blah, England sucks, blah blah America wants peace.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cain

I think his Discourses on Livy are better than The Prince.  Remember, the latter is a satire of Vatican claims to godliness masquerading as a job application, and the former he had far greater lattitude on, and deals with subjects which fall outside the remit of acquiring and controlling absolute princely states.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Cain on October 10, 2010, 09:23:42 AM
I think his Discourses on Livy are better than The Prince.  Remember, the latter is a satire of Vatican claims to godliness masquerading as a job application, and the former he had far greater lattitude on, and deals with subjects which fall outside the remit of acquiring and controlling absolute princely states.

I've heard the idea before that it's a parody, which had occoured to me at points. I'll hunt down those suggestions if i ever feel I'm making a dent on my reading list. Which I'm not.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cain

Machiavelli was most noted as a satirist in his own time, with several plays of his taking direct aim at the hypocrisy of the Church, which was at the time threatening to make even the Avignon Papacy look like a cleanly run charity by comparison (Alexander VI sold cardinal roles in order to finance Cesare Borgia's wars of expansion in central Italy, for example).  Of course, like all the best satires, it works because it makes so much use of the truth.

Brotep

Fearful Symmetry - A Study of William Blake, by Northrop Frye

Juana

Rereading Making Money by Terry Pratchett
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Something about an apocalypse that Dok gave me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Freeky

Gonna start reading 101 Arabian nights fairly soon, if I can find my copy.