News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Why are you here?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 20, 2008, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was thinking about the various reasons different people come to this board and the extremely varied topics here... obviously, most people enjoy certain types of threads and projects more than others. Why are you here?

I'm here to have fun. I like the repartee, the funny, the exchange of ideas. I like the argument. I like the bizarre things people share about their thought processes and their lives. I like that it gives me things to think about, to keep my mind sharp and quick, and diversify my thought base. I like watching ideas evolve from sensical to completely nonsensical and then back into something sensical, but completely different from where they started. I like reading about prank ideas and sharing my own prank ideas. I'm not here to create my Discordian legacy, I'm not here to change the political landscape, I'm not here for Deep Important Things, but if something I tap out on my keyboard ends up being worth saving, that's rad.

What are you guys here for?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

I'm here to collaborate on creative projects

to be exposed to a wide spectrum of topics and interests

and to expose myself to strangers

most of all I like novelty, and doing something NEW, making something NEW, thinking NEW thoughts.
and I admittedly like riding this Discordian monster bareback and seeing where it's going.

OPTIMUS PINECONE

I'm Trolling you...
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

hooplala

I'm here to talk with people who have a wide range of interests and are not afraid to discuss certain issues, like some of the people I know IRL.

I'm also here to occasionally participate in collaborations.  Oh, and to attention whore.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

AFK

I'm going to be perfectly honest.  If it weren't for certain individuals/personalities I probably would've completely dropped off the map awhile ago.  My productivity/creativity here has been sparse for the last few/several months.  It's not that I'm not interested in this stuff anymore.  For whatever reason, I don't have the same spark I had when the BIP happened.  I have little flashes here and there, and I'm hoping this magazine development will help get that going again.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I'm here to chatter like the little squirrel of discord that I am.  :lulz:

As to why I started posting here after a couple years of lurking...:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=12965.msg410020#msg410020

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Cramulus on November 20, 2008, 07:21:37 PM
I'm here . . .

. . . to expose myself to strangers

:eek: (also,  :fap:)

As for the actual topic, I come here to read and see the works of intelligent, mindful persons, to laugh at clever banter, to relieve the boredom of the workday, to participate in discussions which are far more insightful than anything I could ever have with others in real life, to experience some lulz, and to whore around some of my writing talents, in that order.

This is the best bunch of misfits I've ever met, and I'm glad to be a part of it all.

Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Manta Obscura on November 20, 2008, 07:41:59 PM
As for the actual topic, I come here to read and see the works of intelligent, mindful persons, to laugh at clever banter, to relieve the boredom of the workday, to participate in discussions which are far more insightful than anything I could ever have with others in real life...

Uh, wow did you come to the wrong place.

:lulz:

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Ratatosk on November 20, 2008, 07:43:49 PM
Quote from: Manta Obscura on November 20, 2008, 07:41:59 PM
As for the actual topic, I come here to read and see the works of intelligent, mindful persons, to laugh at clever banter, to relieve the boredom of the workday, to participate in discussions which are far more insightful than anything I could ever have with others in real life...

Uh, wow did you come to the wrong place.

:lulz:

Yeah, I forgot to add the part about my desires for those things being unfulfilled here.  :wink:
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 20, 2008, 07:30:42 PM
I'm going to be perfectly honest.  If it weren't for certain individuals/personalities I probably would've completely dropped off the map awhile ago.  My productivity/creativity here has been sparse for the last few/several months.  It's not that I'm not interested in this stuff anymore.  For whatever reason, I don't have the same spark I had when the BIP happened.  I have little flashes here and there, and I'm hoping this magazine development will help get that going again.  

So are you saying that you're here to contribute something meaningful to a collaborative project, and you're unsatisfied with your experience because you are not currently in a creative/productive headspace?

Because I think it is perfectly OK to be here just to waste time at work, or whatever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dr Goofy

I am here to prove to myself I am not nuts! Stupid Iowans our not unique.

AFK

Quote from: Nigel on November 20, 2008, 08:16:59 PM

So are you saying that you're here to contribute something meaningful to a collaborative project, and you're unsatisfied with your experience because you are not currently in a creative/productive headspace?

Because I think it is perfectly OK to be here just to waste time at work, or whatever.

I am not suggesting it isn't OK.  In fact it was the perception that it wasn't OK, a couple of years ago, that, in part led to the exodus of some regulars to EB&G.  But for me personally, I felt a great sense of awakening and personal satisfaction when the BIP thing happened.  I also had a personal investment in it as before there was a BIP sub-forum on pd.com, there was a separate message board just for the BIP which I was the admin of.  So I have a personal attachment to that part of the history and so I do feel a little unsatisfied, on a personal level, when I'm in a dry spell.  It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else, what they are doing or not doing. 

I think on another level, I don't want to be typecast solely as "the pun guy". 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 20, 2008, 08:39:41 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 20, 2008, 08:16:59 PM

I am not suggesting it isn't OK.  In fact it was the perception that it wasn't OK, a couple of years ago, that, in part led to the exodus of some regulars to EB&G.  But for me personally, I felt a great sense of awakening and personal satisfaction when the BIP thing happened.  I also had a personal investment in it as before there was a BIP sub-forum on pd.com, there was a separate message board just for the BIP which I was the admin of.  So I have a personal attachment to that part of the history and so I do feel a little unsatisfied, on a personal level, when I'm in a dry spell.  It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else, what they are doing or not doing. 

I think on another level, I don't want to be typecast solely as "the pun guy". 

Well, personally I also typecast you as the 'lone sane anti-drug guy' if that helps  :wink:

ternechto

I'm here to increase paranoia, alienate myself from three-dimensional life and vent sarcastic remarks without having to feel bad about.

Cramulus

sooooooooooooooooooo you're an alt?