News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

'recycling' failure: too early?

Started by LHX, October 09, 2007, 08:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

is it too early to call the recycling / environmental movement a failure?

is separating your garbage into plastic and paper a unnecessary obstacle at this point?

im sayin:

since the early 90s ive been trained to approach trash with a distinguishing eye
and like a good citizen i did it

but
the polar bears are still dying
melting snow
oil running out etc

at what point is it the smart move to abandon these surface / lip service acknowledgements to good 'environmental intent' and instead focus on other things?

also: at a certain point - does it not make good sense to exploit, rape, and exhaust a society that is founded on raping, exploiting and exhausting?

if this way of life is killing the planet - cant we kill that way of life using the same approach?

eat more?
neat hell

AFK

this is probably not what you were going for but I am conjuring an image with an Easter Island motif. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LHX

whatever works man

im noticing - even those things that seemed to be 'honorable' dont really work when you are stuck in a cesspool
neat hell

AFK

You certainly have to wonder, when you are engaging in these activities, like you lay out, what impact does it really have?  I mean, no doubt that recycling the gazillions of aluminum cans keeps them out of landfills, etc., 

But then you wonder about the larger impact.  the impact on the larger system.  It probably feels really good to some to recycle, use compost, make houses out of mud and tires, etc., and that's good for that individual.  But, then when you go macro, what does it mean?

We have lots of individuals performing lots of individual acts, and some joint but probably not that many in the grand scheme of things. 

I've wondered, if in the end, it will be the Earth itself, that fixes the Earth. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

<tangent>

When I was a young Discordian (like age 15 or 16) I thought it would be a cool mindfuck to disable the crosswalk button. This one particular crosswalk had annoyed me quite a bit - you'd press the button and it would seem to INCREASE the amount of time it took for the pedestrian crossing light to activate. So late at night I went there with a hex driver and took apart the mechanism. LO AND BEHOLD IT WASN'T CONNECTED TO BEGIN WITH. I thought of all those minutes I spent repeatedly pressing that button and waiting for my turn to go.

It was all just a ruse! An illuminati scheme to make you FEEL like you've got control of the situation, but it's just an illusion.

</tangent>

But that's the vibe I got from your post LHX. Like when we spot these illusions and gimmicks, shouldn't we not just ignore them, but trash them?

At the mall where I get lunch there are two trash cans. One for bottles and cans, the other for trash. Very clearly labeled. But when you watch the cleaning staff empty the trash, both bins are emptied into the same receptacle. Why even have the signs?

PS: I like the new sig, LHX. Where's that from?

rabidpigmy

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 09, 2007, 09:12:43 PM
I've wondered, if in the end, it will be the Earth itself, that fixes the Earth. 

This reminds me of a quote from Flex Mentallo. It's something to the affect of, "It's not the Earth that needs saving, but mankind."

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on October 09, 2007, 09:32:58 PM
It was all just a ruse! An illuminati scheme to make you FEEL like you've got control of the situation, but it's just an illusion.

This also reminds me of a train of thought that kept running through my head. Like you, LHX, I've been wondering what the purpose of recycling is. I mean, sure, it looks and feels good if you think it's actually doing anything, but are you really? It seems like when it comes down to it, recycling seems like a diversion to make us feel good about ourselves. To make us think we're doing something in face of the massive declining state of the world.

Are we actually doing something? :sad:

But here's a counter to this. What if the illusion is not the recycling, but the adverse affects of our presence? All this weird stuff is actually normal, and we're just creating it/explaining it away with our own sins? We're the one's who are fucked, because we're caught in the loop of feeding new industries that are simply making money off selling our garbage back to us? "Would you like some extra poo with that?" Guess what I'm trying to ask is, is it real? If it is real, then are we actually doing anything about it? Or is it hype, and we're simply scaring ourselves in certain directions. Reasons and directions? I dunno, I'm just sayin'.

LHX

neat hell

Jasper

Is it enough to do as you're asked, if you believe in your cause?

That seems like the important question.

LHX

unless your causes asks you to do more than youre asked
neat hell

Jasper

That's the thing I'm getting at.  If it matters at all, then intelligence and initiative and hard work should be applied.

Triple Zero

in my city we used to separate our trash in organic and non-organic trash. i was raised to pay attention to this.

at a certain point they stopped separating the stuff, i was a bit dissapointed because it felt so good, "doing my part" and all.

later, i heard that having two separate transportation chains for the trash actually cost more energy because the garbage-processing facility got a lot more efficient at separating or processing the garbage and stuff.

dunno how far this is true (instead of just told me to feel better), but simply burning the garbage for energy isn't that bad of a solution when you add up all the factors.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

First off, LHX, recycling isn't really linked to global warming.

it's linked to the humongous amounts of garbage we create.

All environmental problems are not the same.

Secondly, as far as "does it not make good sense to exploit, rape, and exhaust a society that is founded on raping, exploiting and exhausting," keep in mind:

You are part of that culture, too.

I, for one, don't want to increase the amount I'm being fucked, on the possible chance it doesn't collapse as planned.

LHX

i dont want to increase it either

im just saying maybe its unavoidable
neat hell

rabidpigmy

LIFE: Prepared to be fucked in the ass!

Cramulus

I think the problem with recycling is similar to the problem of voting.

As individuals, it probably doesn't matter whether or not we recycle. But it's totally important that we, as a group, do it.

so we're stuck. The socially responsible thing to do, in both cases, is something in which we cannot perceive the effect of our effort.