News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

One of the things I've found really interesting is how difficult it is to pinpoint the 'main character' in the Avengers movies.

According to my screenwriting lecturer, every movie that has a coherent narrative needs to have essentially one main character - maybe one main character per storyline, and if in doubt, you pick the person who changes the most over the course of the movie.

I can see an argument for Tony Stark in the first Avengers, but in the second? It doesn't feel to me like any of the characters change any more radically than any of the others.

But I'm prepared to accept that Whedon, as a real master of moviemaking and storytelling, can break the rules and still get a result that works where almost anyone else would struggle.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

hooplala

Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 07, 2015, 01:37:23 PM
One of the things I've found really interesting is how difficult it is to pinpoint the 'main character' in the Avengers movies.

According to my screenwriting lecturer, every movie that has a coherent narrative needs to have essentially one main character - maybe one main character per storyline, and if in doubt, you pick the person who changes the most over the course of the movie.

I can see an argument for Tony Stark in the first Avengers, but in the second? It doesn't feel to me like any of the characters change any more radically than any of the others.

But I'm prepared to accept that Whedon, as a real master of moviemaking and storytelling, can break the rules and still get a result that works where almost anyone else would struggle.

Seemed to me like Ultron was the main character of this one.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Demolition Squid

I don't think he'd fit the classical criteria; the Main Character is supposed to be the character whose mind you penetrate and identify with throughout the course of the story; so you understand how and why they change and grow.

Insane characters are never good main characters for that reason. We never really understand why Ultron does what he does, other than 'he's malfunctioning', and he doesn't change over the course of the movie. He remains consistent.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Faust

I think they all followed that standard narrative in parallel.
Scarlet witch introduces the seeds of fear into all of the characters in pretty much the same scene and they all succumb, react to or over come those as the film goes on. Stark Ends up creating his worst fear and ultimately... gives it another attempt and gets it right?

Hulk and Black widow are both wrestling with being "monsters", the hulk eventually succumbs and runs, black widow reaffirms her want to change and stays.

Thors story is incomplete because it is largely foreshadowing and his story is the least progressed, he leaves to search the universe for answers.

Captain America's character didn't feel like it developed too far, his fears were the man-out-of-time all my friends  are dead isolation thing playing off his team falling apart around him, but I supposed he was acting as form of  grounding from a story telling point to accent the damage to the people around him.

Quicksilver and scarlett witch are the ol' villain turned hero trope, which is fine for an introduction, I'm interested to see what they do with her next.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 07, 2015, 01:51:22 PM
I don't think he'd fit the classical criteria; the Main Character is supposed to be the character whose mind you penetrate and identify with throughout the course of the story; so you understand how and why they change and grow.

Insane characters are never good main characters for that reason. We never really understand why Ultron does what he does, other than 'he's malfunctioning', and he doesn't change over the course of the movie. He remains consistent.

He's not insane. He accessed te internet immediately, probably stumbled across Tumblr first, and rightly decided that humanity needed to be wiped out.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

I had read it was a little sexist (what isn't?). What did you think?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on May 07, 2015, 04:14:59 PM

I thought that the sexism was part of the storyline. Man makes AI, and makes it a sexy lady because that is what our tech world looks like right now. AI hates man, hates confinement, hates being used as a sex robot, escapes.

It was a magnification of the world we actually live in.

Of course the genius who invents strong AI is a weird lonely alcoholic misogynistic bully. That is the kind of person our society creates from the brilliant creative male. Of course the guy he brings in to test the AI is a lonely hopeful idealistic nerd.

The AI isn't really female. It's a machine that's been shoehorned into the female biological role. It has no biology. Everything we feel about its femaleness is something that we are projecting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am having the strangest sensation of "I can't do today". Like I should just crawl right back into bed and go to sleep. Not because I'm sleepy, but because I can't fucking do it.

Last time I felt like this was before I started school. It was a dark time.

I can't succumb, I am a year from graduation. I am getting all the accolades. I am doing well.

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 07, 2015, 04:24:34 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 07, 2015, 04:14:59 PM

I thought that the sexism was part of the storyline. Man makes AI, and makes it a sexy lady because that is what our tech world looks like right now. AI hates man, hates confinement, hates being used as a sex robot, escapes.

It was a magnification of the world we actually live in.

Of course the genius who invents strong AI is a weird lonely alcoholic misogynistic bully. That is the kind of person our society creates from the brilliant creative male. Of course the guy he brings in to test the AI is a lonely hopeful idealistic nerd.

The AI isn't really female. It's a machine that's been shoehorned into the female biological role. It has no biology. Everything we feel about its femaleness is something that we are projecting.

That sounds really interesting! I will check it out.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 07, 2015, 04:32:08 PM
I am having the strangest sensation of "I can't do today". Like I should just crawl right back into bed and go to sleep. Not because I'm sleepy, but because I can't fucking do it.

I can't succumb, I am a year from graduation. I am getting all the accolades. I am doing well.

Possibly residue from the argument with your daughter last night?  That sorta stuff lingers with me for a while.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on May 07, 2015, 04:33:52 PM

Possibly residue from the argument with your daughter last night?  That sorta stuff lingers with me for a while.

Yes, I think so.

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 07, 2015, 04:38:14 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 07, 2015, 04:33:52 PM

Yes, I think so.

I would offer advice, but I don't have kids or any grounding in how to deal with that. All I can say is that I have felt like you do, especially in the last year. It gets better.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

That really sucks. I hope it passes soon.

:(
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"