Possibly the stupidest argument I've ever seen

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 19, 2015, 05:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2015, 09:13:44 AM
Although she lost some points with me for "I don't even know what that means, I don't like it", I confess that he lost many more for his absolute conviction.

Yeah, in all reality the whole thing was a tragic display of bad reasoning. I just figured I'd do my best to give them some benefit of the doubt...
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

The body builders and counting reminds me of when I worked with adults with Down's syndrome. In math class much of the day focused on addition and subtraction using a number line.

A student asked me why 1 + 1 doesn't = 11 and I kind of just flailed around with words for several minutes before we moved on to something else. What sort of black magic had this woman tapped into?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on January 24, 2015, 09:47:05 PM
The body builders and counting reminds me of when I worked with adults with Down's syndrome. In math class much of the day focused on addition and subtraction using a number line.

A student asked me why 1 + 1 doesn't = 11 and I kind of just flailed around with words for several minutes before we moved on to something else. What sort of black magic had this woman tapped into?

Well, intelligence IS a spectrum, so...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Logic trees are awesome.

And by awesome I mean "a terrible pain in the arse which made my first year undergrad philosophy classes the most painful experience since the dentist didn't dose me correctly with anaesthetic before giving me a filling".

Hi Dimo!

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2015, 05:27:12 PM
Logic trees are awesome.

And by awesome I mean "a terrible pain in the arse which made my first year undergrad philosophy classes the most painful experience since the dentist didn't dose me correctly with anaesthetic before giving me a filling".

Hi Dimo!

haha! I'm totally fucking immune to it now. I've been the TA for PHL 101 going on three semesters now, and I've actually given full lectures to classes with upwards of 90 students. As an undergrad. Which is a little out of the ordinary.

In all honesty, though, now I like it. It is really helpful to clearly identify bad arguments quickly, even if they appear to be good arguments at a glance, and my own ability to support my assertions has definitely improved my performance in other classes/life in general.

Plus, being able to identify peoples errors in reasoning really makes my friends hate me, and keeps women from ever wanting to talk to me...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The only philosophy classes I've had were the Philosophy of Science, and something something argument.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 25, 2015, 08:04:19 PM
The only philosophy classes I've had were the Philosophy of Science, and something something argument.

Philosophy of science is really cool. In the same vein, my senior seminar was philosophy of technology, which had some overlap as you'd imagine. How did you like your philosophy of science class? Who did you read/what topics did you focus on, etc.?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on January 25, 2015, 08:14:40 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 25, 2015, 08:04:19 PM

Philosophy of science is really cool. In the same vein, my senior seminar was philosophy of technology, which had some overlap as you'd imagine. How did you like your philosophy of science class? Who did you read/what topics did you focus on, etc.?

I liked it, it was super basic but fun; a basic overview of the scientific method and how to critically evaluate scientific claims. I no longer remember what we read, other than weekly readings and presentations on topics from "Skeptic" magazine. We also watched a documentary and then had to go research the topic and write a critical analysis of the way it was presented in the film. It was definitely a beneficial class for me to start off my first term of college with!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I periodically see an Ethics in Biomedical Research class that I'd like to take, but it's always conflicting with something else I'd like to take.