News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

what the fuck is up with the taboo on 'swear words'

Started by Slarti, March 19, 2004, 01:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnimbley

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferis
Quote from: gnimbley
Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferistwo filters people... two yours and theirs... I like this explination.

Ah, but do you really exist, or are you just my filter's interpretation of some random chemical luminescence?
Is this your excuse to break peoples ribs and leave them laying in a gutter slowly dying?

What does your filter think I am, a troll? gnomes don't do that. We tie their shoelaces together, hit them with a mud pie and run!
so what you are saying is that you believe that i have a filter and am not just a figmit of your Imagination( otherwise it would be your filter and not mine)
My filter thinks your filter is good for nothing but straining coffee grounds.

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferistwo filters people... two yours and theirs... I like this explination.

Ah, but do you really exist, or are you just my filter's interpretation of some random chemical luminescence?
Is this your excuse to break peoples ribs and leave them laying in a gutter slowly dying?

What does your filter think I am, a troll? gnomes don't do that. We tie their shoelaces together, hit them with a mud pie and run!
so what you are saying is that you believe that i have a filter and am not just a figmit of your Imagination( otherwise it would be your filter and not mine)
My filter thinks your filter is good for nothing but straining coffee grounds.
No fine thing that.
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Den Sorte Dragen

doesnt the president use swear words when he takes the oath for office?
negative....negative.....negative................;type O negative................negative............;negative

no no no ... he swears an oath, but that uses vow type words.

gnimbley

Quote from: Den Sorte Dragendoesnt the president use swear words when he takes the oath for office?

Yeah.

Doesn't he say, "and I swear to screw each and every one of them fuckers what didn't vote for me."

Den Sorte Dragen

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferisno no no ... he swears an oath, but that uses vow type words.

?swearing in front of the whole nation?
negative....negative.....negative................;type O negative................negative............;negative

Quote from: Den Sorte Dragen
Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferisno no no ... he swears an oath, but that uses vow type words.

?swearing in front of the whole nation?
I'm sure not... I for one don't watch.

MedeoPlusPlus

Fikigxu! Mi volas ke vi feku cxenon kaj pisu sangon, ho cxiesulino vi!

See, it sounds as mindless in Esperanto as it does in English... but I have no fucking problem with swearing. Like most people here, I'm just worried that it'll get overused to the point where it's just not effective anymore, and then we'll have lost one of the more interesting aspects of our tongue. Long live the fuckin cuss word! (But not too much)
1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++

maddcat0

I don't have a problem with swearing/curse words.  However, words like niggar and faggot do bother me, but then again, I don't consider them curse words.  Those kind of words have their own category: slurs.  I do have one slight exception for the use of the word "fag", and even then I hardly use it:  if it is not being used to slur a homosexual, but instead is being used to describe someone who is preppy/stuckup/a prick, I'm ok with it.  I have gay and bi friends, (and I have been pondering my own prefs) so I am quite defensive of actual homo/bisexuals.

I agree w/ many of the other posts here: the only time true swearing bothers me is when it is used in excess--it's just annoying.  I know I swear a lot, but not every other word like some people.  Then again, ANY word that is used that often is pretty damn annoying.

Other than that, what the hell is wrong with swearing?  Freedom of speech, people!  For crying out loud, let me express myself 8) !

Now here's a question: How do u guys feel about swearing around children?  How do u feel about kids who swear?
I know that if I ever have kids, I'm not gonna give a shit if they swear or not, so long as they know to not use it inappropriately (like going around calling people assholes :lol: or using it to talk back)--nor do I care about swearing around kids.  I don't see what the big deal is, except--unfortunately--schools do not approve of swearing, so I'm gonna have to teach them not to swear. -,-
"Hot. Fresh. Just for you."--McDonald's food sticker appropriately placed on my name tag 8)

"oven dogs"=yummy :D

BADGE OF HONOR

I only get annoyed at watered-down "swear" words like "Darn you to heck!"  I hear that a lot out here in Utah.  If you're going to swear, swear right, damn it!

*shudder*

In the words of Foamy, fuck that shit!
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

maddcat0

Quote from: Wenchmaster KI only get annoyed at watered-down "swear" words like "Darn you to heck!"
:lol: Ha! I hear that!
"Hot. Fresh. Just for you."--McDonald's food sticker appropriately placed on my name tag 8)

"oven dogs"=yummy :D

wild rose

Quote from: MedeoLike most people here, I'm just worried that it'll get overused to the point where it's just not effective anymore, and then we'll have lost one of the more interesting aspects of our tongue. Long live the fuckin cuss word! (But not too much)

I think a lot of swear words have already lost their shock value. I remember this one time the cops were called to my house because of a fist fight between my brother and someone who lived on another street, and my brother was cussing out the cops and my mother never said anything to him to stop or anything. It's sad the way people have no shame in cussing out those in authority. I know that where I work, using profanity is cause for a write up (it's a Christian nursing home), but no one blinks an eye if someone cusses out the supervisor (except the kid who screamed fuck you at the department head after being suspended for insubordination).
*walks into invisible brick wall* THUD.

~~~~Closed~~~~

Quote from: MedeoFikigxu! Mi volas ke vi feku cxenon kaj pisu sangon, ho cxiesulino vi!

See, it sounds as mindless in Esperanto as it does in English... but I have no fucking problem with swearing. Like most people here, I'm just worried that it'll get overused to the point where it's just not effective anymore, and then we'll have lost one of the more interesting aspects of our tongue. Long live the fuckin cuss word! (But not too much)

I'm more afraid that a dragon will burst out of the ground...

Guido Finucci

Quote from: Wenchmaster KI only get annoyed at watered-down "swear" words like "Darn you to heck!"  I hear that a lot out here in Utah.  If you're going to swear, swear right, damn it!

Amen!

Also right up there are people who water down written swear words by blanking part of them out (F*ck the A***-raping, mother-f***ing w*nkers &c. &c.) If you don't want to swear, fine, don't. If you are gonna let loose then just fucking do it.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Guido Finucci
Quote from: Wenchmaster KI only get annoyed at watered-down "swear" words like "Darn you to heck!"  I hear that a lot out here in Utah.  If you're going to swear, swear right, damn it!

Amen!

Also right up there are people who water down written swear words by blanking part of them out (F*ck the A***-raping, mother-f***ing w*nkers &c. &c.) If you don't want to swear, fine, don't. If you are gonna let loose then just fucking do it.

Of course, when I do that I tend to get banned...oh well.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".