News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

GLOMPCHOMPING

Started by Bobby Campbell, September 23, 2014, 03:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The Shield is worth the haul.  It's not quite as good as The Wire, certainly rougher around the edges, but comparing the two is apt and not unfair to either.  And like The Wire, there's more than a level of headlines writing the script, as the series was influenced by the Rampart scandal.  If you can stick with it to season 4, you'll get to see Glenn Close giving a brilliant performance as Captain Rawlings.

With regards to Gotham, I'm just watching it now, and I note Bruno Heller is the writer for the episode, and presumably at least one of the lead writers for the series.  Not gonna lie, that makes me pause.  Heller was one of the writers for HBO's Rome, which was of course a great series.  But he was also a writer for The Mentalist, which was a very formulaic, episodic cop drama, though his episodes were notably better than many of the other writers for the series, dealing as they did with the "Red John" arc.

GlompChomp

Quote from: Cain on September 25, 2014, 04:06:16 AM
The Shield is worth the haul.  It's not quite as good as The Wire, certainly rougher around the edges, but comparing the two is apt and not unfair to either.  And like The Wire, there's more than a level of headlines writing the script, as the series was influenced by the Rampart scandal.  If you can stick with it to season 4, you'll get to see Glenn Close giving a brilliant performance as Captain Rawlings.

With regards to Gotham, I'm just watching it now, and I note Bruno Heller is the writer for the episode, and presumably at least one of the lead writers for the series.  Not gonna lie, that makes me pause.  Heller was one of the writers for HBO's Rome, which was of course a great series.  But he was also a writer for The Mentalist, which was a very formulaic, episodic cop drama, though his episodes were notably better than many of the other writers for the series, dealing as they did with the "Red John" arc.

The Shield is all about faggot cops, I hate pigs, always trying to pork your donuthole in the Arby's parking lot for a "traffic violation".

I'll give you a traffic violation.

But seriously I'm watching The Strain right now. Anytime something has Nazis in it I'm hooked.
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

Bobby Campbell

Hi GlompChomp!

I genuinely don't care about whatever language you use, that's all on you!

I just didn't want to participate in something w/ that name, because I choose not to use it, but there was also a good convo kicking up and I wanted to jump in.

So there's all that then!

Cain, I must somewhat sheepishly admit I meant Marvel's Agents of Shield and not The Shield

GlompChomp

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on September 25, 2014, 05:04:58 AM
Hi GlompChomp!

I genuinely don't care about whatever language you use, that's all on you!

I just didn't want to participate in something w/ that name, because I choose not to use it, but there was also a good convo kicking up and I wanted to jump in.

So there's all that then!

Cain, I must somewhat sheepishly admit I meant Marvel's Agents of Shield and not The Shield

I'm more surprised you're not upset over the spoiler tbh.

No one invites me to parties.

PS your art and humor is p. rad.
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

LMNO

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on September 24, 2014, 10:43:57 PM
Though what I'm most curious about is Constantine.

I can't imagine they can pull off what I like about Hellblazer on a network show, but the trailer had more right about it than I expected

Except, perhaps, that in the TV show, he doesn't smoke.  Those Silk Cuts were like a character all to themselves.

Cain

To be fair, Silk Cuts are fucking expensive nowadays.  I doubt NBC, let alone Constantine, has the budget for them.

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 25, 2014, 12:08:42 PM
Quote from: Bobby Campbell on September 24, 2014, 10:43:57 PM
Though what I'm most curious about is Constantine.

I can't imagine they can pull off what I like about Hellblazer on a network show, but the trailer had more right about it than I expected

Except, perhaps, that in the TV show, he doesn't smoke.  Those Silk Cuts were like a character all to themselves.

One if his defining arcs was his lung cancer.

I watched the Pilot, it was ok, felt more like charmed then hellblazer but I was expecting that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

That arc was awesome.  The first non-Swamp Thing arcs I read of John.  I should go find that and read it again.  It's probably packed up somewhere.

Faust

That was the start of Garth Ennis's arc and has Steve Dillon (Preacher) so every issue looks gorgeous. I read his six volume run a couple of years back and it loved it, the other writers who have written him have all had their own interesting takes on the character but he was the one who defined it for me.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: GlompChomp on September 25, 2014, 05:09:54 AM

I'm more surprised you're not upset over the spoiler tbh.

No one invites me to parties.

PS your art and humor is p. rad.

Ah, I've already listened to all the Harry Potter audio books anyways, so I already know Dumbledore marries Snape :fnord:

And thanks very much!

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 25, 2014, 12:08:42 PM

Yeah, that's a really tough one to get over for me. His smoking really is kind of an essential character trait

Quote from: Faust on September 25, 2014, 12:57:47 PM
One if his defining arcs was his lung cancer.
I watched the Pilot, it was ok, felt more like charmed then hellblazer but I was expecting that.

Dangerous Habits is my fav Hellblazer story. Man, such a shame that it's a network show. Makes me wonder how the Preacher AMC adaptation could possibly work out.

I wish Garth Ennis & Steve Dillon would team up again on something substantial! Anything to keep SD from drawing any more Marvel superhero books.

Just saw something pretty cool about Guillermo del Toro developing a DC movie called Dark Universe with John Constantine, Swamp Thing, The Spectre, Deadman, Zatanna and Zatara. That'll do!

Chelagoras The Boulder

Wait, no smoking? Pure and blatant blasphemy!

I'm super cautious about the new hellblazer series. the movie was god awful, the devil character being the only interesting thing about it. I'm just really hoping that they have the balls to at least try to deliver on the gritty fucked up parts of constantine: his immense guilt, his tragic history, his addiction to the macabre and dangerous that repeatedly leads him to the brink and endangers everyone he loves. But then i remember that this is network TV, and balls are in short supply there. What do I think this is, HBO?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

LMNO

Yeah, one thing I liked about the comics was that it (as far as I recall) never explicitly underscored that just about everyone who fell into John's wake eventually had something really, really terrible happen to them.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 25, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
Wait, no smoking? Pure and blatant blasphemy!

I'm super cautious about the new hellblazer series. the movie was god awful, the devil character being the only interesting thing about it. I'm just really hoping that they have the balls to at least try to deliver on the gritty fucked up parts of constantine: his immense guilt, his tragic history, his addiction to the macabre and dangerous that repeatedly leads him to the brink and endangers everyone he loves. But then i remember that this is network TV, and balls are in short supply there. What do I think this is, HBO?

This is why advertisers are offering less and less money for advertizing slots, and have been since 2003.  The networks have never adjusted from the 1970s thinking of "You'll watch whatever shit we put in front of you".  I can watch anything I want now, on hundreds of channels.  The entire cinematic body of works from the get-go is available online with no commercials and no delay.

So the networks continue to offer watered-down shit.  Why would anyone bother watching anything they air?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I have a feeling I am infested with Gremlins, because there are SHIT-TONS of delays when I try to stream stuff. Digital static, hangs, dropped signal... It took me almost 8 months to finish Breaking Bad, because I couldn't watch a single episode without the whole thing freezing on me. Plus, my Roku won't play nice with Comcast, the Boston monopoly holder.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 25, 2014, 05:15:27 PM
I have a feeling I am infested with Gremlins, because there are SHIT-TONS of delays when I try to stream stuff. Digital static, hangs, dropped signal... It took me almost 8 months to finish Breaking Bad, because I couldn't watch a single episode without the whole thing freezing on me. Plus, my Roku won't play nice with Comcast, the Boston monopoly holder.

You could have  just said "Comcast".  The more you stream, the more they throttle you.  No joke.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.