News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 03, 2015, 11:24:39 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 03, 2015, 09:45:10 PM
Your employers are criminals, dude. Wow.

Trust me, it's really NOT just his. Or the UK.

And really, really, not a minority either.

ETA - Well that sounds condescending as fuck. Not the intention/tone.

I happen to live in the asshole of the West coast, but everyone I've worked for has turned out to be either criminally negligent (drivers well known for checking their phones while driving vans full of people resulting in speeding through red lights and many episodes of high speed near misses yet management continues to let them drive, repeatedly returning from group field trips without individuals who have severe mental retardation and are essentially small children in adult bodies), requiring outright fraud as part of their verbal policy, and all of them engaged in wage theft (requiring work related duties to be done off the clock, not fixing "errors" on their timesheets but only if it screws the employee).

I just walked out of my last job after accruing enough savings to get me by while I look for legit work. I knew it was going to be bad here but I wasn't prepared for how prevalent the nepotism, incompetence, and casual fraud actually would be. And that's just the clearly illegal behavior, which is just the tip of the shitberg that I've personally witnessed. I know they all aren't this way, but holy hell is it hard to find an even halfway decent place to work. You wouldn't know this is the West coast from visiting here, you'd be positive you're in a depressed Midwest shithole full of shady scumbags that just happens to have an astonishing number of bike lanes that no one uses.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Bruno

I've been unemployed for over two months, now. Statistically, that means I'll be unemployed forever since two months of no job = career leprosy.

Maybe I can trade in this "Engineering Technology" degree for a couple of microwave burritos.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

I miss my boss.   :sad:

I walk by his office, and I keep expecting to hear him say "I'm not crying" or "Get your ass in here" or "GET OUT OF MY OFFICE".

Howl,
More upset about this than I ever expected.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on March 04, 2015, 05:36:39 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on March 03, 2015, 11:24:39 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 03, 2015, 09:45:10 PM
Your employers are criminals, dude. Wow.

Trust me, it's really NOT just his. Or the UK.

And really, really, not a minority either.

ETA - Well that sounds condescending as fuck. Not the intention/tone.

I happen to live in the asshole of the West coast, but everyone I've worked for has turned out to be either criminally negligent (drivers well known for checking their phones while driving vans full of people resulting in speeding through red lights and many episodes of high speed near misses yet management continues to let them drive, repeatedly returning from group field trips without individuals who have severe mental retardation and are essentially small children in adult bodies), requiring outright fraud as part of their verbal policy, and all of them engaged in wage theft (requiring work related duties to be done off the clock, not fixing "errors" on their timesheets but only if it screws the employee).

I just walked out of my last job after accruing enough savings to get me by while I look for legit work. I knew it was going to be bad here but I wasn't prepared for how prevalent the nepotism, incompetence, and casual fraud actually would be. And that's just the clearly illegal behavior, which is just the tip of the shitberg that I've personally witnessed. I know they all aren't this way, but holy hell is it hard to find an even halfway decent place to work. You wouldn't know this is the West coast from visiting here, you'd be positive you're in a depressed Midwest shithole full of shady scumbags that just happens to have an astonishing number of bike lanes that no one uses.

When did you move to Sacramento?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

right so the internship i had been accepted into has apparently gone unfunded for the first time ever so now i have to wait for the next internship session, which starts in September. But hey, at least i already quit my job and budgeted my savings for the next three months instead of six. FML
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2015, 07:36:19 PM

I walk by his office, and I keep expecting to hear him say "I'm not crying" or "Get your ass in here" or "GET OUT OF MY OFFICE".

Howl,

This is not my business or place to really say, but I am compelled sir.

It seems to me that he wasIS a friend or greatly respected mentor, not just a boss. Have you spoken to him about things, person to person away from the workplace? He has clearly influenced you and your ideas of The Future. You're seeing a person you accepted as leader falter. Meeting with the man as respected equals away from the mess may be the only way to patch the gap.

I only suggest this because I've seen people that I counted leaders fall and regret sometimes not being able to close matters.

I know that you still don't really know me, nor I you. But what I've gotten to know of you I respect. I will not interject on the matter again, but I am rooting for your brand of HolynessTM and RageTM to win the day and fight for The Future you saw when you posted your speech from the restaurant.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 05, 2015, 01:00:37 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2015, 07:36:19 PM

Howl,

This is not my business or place to really say, but I am compelled sir.

It seems to me that he wasIS a friend or greatly respected mentor, not just a boss. Have you spoken to him about things, person to person away from the workplace? He has clearly influenced you and your ideas of The Future. You're seeing a person you accepted as leader falter. Meeting with the man as respected equals away from the mess may be the only way to patch the gap.

I only suggest this because I've seen people that I counted leaders fall and regret sometimes not being able to close matters.

I know that you still don't really know me, nor I you. But what I've gotten to know of you I respect. I will not interject on the matter again, but I am rooting for your brand of HolynessTM and RageTM to win the day and fight for The Future you saw when you posted your speech from the restaurant.

I've only seen him once since the blowup, and he was a total basket case.  He was smiling, but the smile didn't reach his eyes.  His eyes had more of a "what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck" thing going on.

And I don't view him as "faltering", a guy like him was bound to explode into some mutated degenerate mid-life crisis sooner or later.  He was the captain of all the teams in school, got a PhD without blinking, extremely religious and conservative, and believed every single thing he was ever told about America.  I don't hold this failing against him or even think less of him (though I do feel badly for his wife).  It was going to happen, and I'm just amazed it didn't happen 10 years ago.  I honestly think he has no idea how he came to this.

The future's still out there.  I just don't know if this branch of the company is going to help take us there.  If it isn't, I'll go some place that will.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Not to raise a fuss, but the above looks like you expected him to break. But that's not how the initial shock happened.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 05, 2015, 02:48:44 AM
Not to raise a fuss, but the above looks like you expected him to break. But that's not how the initial shock happened.

I always kinda figured he would, in a sort-of-joking way, but it was still like a Southbound freight train when it happened.  Especially HOW it happened.  THAT part, I didn't see coming at all, never in a million years.  I figured that - if anything - he'd get tangled up with someone in Germany, like a sensible person, and we'd never hear about it. 

But yeah.  Jim was a tower of moral rectitude and integrity.  The crew and I joked about this sort of thing1, but we never imagined that it would actually happen.  We joked about the one guy who would never do this, and he went ahead and did it.

1  The man has driven a fucking red Miata for 7 years, and never knew why we smiled.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I think I see where you're going.  I feel you.

We had a riff about boats, anchors, and the like. I always felt that was mutable over time, but I didn't have the words. Sorry that I've got something to point to. Not what I wanted.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 05, 2015, 02:58:08 AM
I think I see where you're going.  I feel you.

We had a riff about boats, anchors, and the like. I always felt that was mutable over time, but I didn't have the words. Sorry that I've got something to point to. Not what I wanted.

Anchors, tethers, and chains.

Exactly.  Precisely.

How could he be so foolish?
Molon Lube

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 05, 2015, 03:02:11 AM
Acted human.

Yeah, I know.   :sad:

It's still like he just shat all over the future.  I've decided to hang on for 6 weeks, in order to get my revenge (Lillie has a history of this, I have discovered, and I hate her and I don't feel like being fair), and to see if the new boss we get is going to cut the mustard.  If there's no light at the end of the tunnel by then, I bail.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Sounds like you have the opportunity to give them more fun than they really asked for. Or realized.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 05, 2015, 03:15:33 AM
Sounds like you have the opportunity to give them more fun than they really asked for. Or realized.

I'm not even hating on Mike right now.  Just her.  Jim paid the price, and I can't see her getting to profit from this.

Jim's gone.
Filthy Assistant is being medically retired due to his stroke.
Mike is retiring in a few months.
Lillie is doomed, without any help from me.

The bodies are starting to pile up, LMNO.  This time last year, we were dysfunctional as hell, but we got shit done.
Molon Lube