News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

ECH's thoughts on true culinary skill

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 10, 2012, 11:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 11, 2012, 05:22:14 AM
Nope. but I'll tell you about Pozole all damn day if you want.

It's one of my favorite things and I will eat it until I burst if I can. The version I make is Mexican red posole. I've considered trying green posole but the red is just SO GOOD.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I didn't even know there WAS green pozole. Gonna have to investigate/experiment.

I love that the original pre-conquest pozole recipe calls for chopped human.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I like to serve mine with a "mexican slaw" made of thinly shredded green cabbage soaked in a solution of white vinegar, ground cumin, and a couple packets of con culantro y achiote sazon goya, which in addition to its flavor lends a nice brilliant orange color to the cabbage. The briny crunchiness of the slaw provides a nice counterbalance to the rich meatiness of the pozole, and a pinch on the top of the bowl along with a couple slices of avocado and a dollop of sour cream makes for a wildly colorful presentation that also looks like the mexican flag.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

I've never heard of Pozole. ... apparently it's a kind of soup. If it's that good, I'll have to investigate. I bet there'll be some special and absolutely required ingredients that I'll have to hunt down, but okay :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 11, 2012, 10:47:33 AM
I like to serve mine with a "mexican slaw" made of thinly shredded green cabbage soaked in a solution of white vinegar, ground cumin, and a couple packets of con culantro y achiote sazon goya, which in addition to its flavor lends a nice brilliant orange color to the cabbage. The briny crunchiness of the slaw provides a nice counterbalance to the rich meatiness of the pozole, and a pinch on the top of the bowl along with a couple slices of avocado and a dollop of sour cream makes for a wildly colorful presentation that also looks like the mexican flag.

I serve mine with a sideboard consisting of shredded cabbage, chopped radishes, chopped onion (white or green, I prefer green) chopped cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges. I'll have to check out your way sometime.

The one thing I don't like about making posole is picking the germ off the kernels so they bloom properly. I always end up feeling like my thumbnails are going to fall off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 11, 2012, 11:35:34 AM
I've never heard of Pozole. ... apparently it's a kind of soup. If it's that good, I'll have to investigate. I bet there'll be some special and absolutely required ingredients that I'll have to hunt down, but okay :)

Most of the ingredients are pretty widely available, but you might have a hard time finding dried posole corn. If so, you can substitute canned hominy; it's not quite as good but it's pretty close.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on February 11, 2012, 04:20:51 PM

I serve mine with a sideboard consisting of shredded cabbage, chopped radishes, chopped onion (white or green, I prefer green) chopped cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges. I'll have to check out your way sometime.

The one thing I don't like about making posole is picking the germ off the kernels so they bloom properly. I always end up feeling like my thumbnails are going to fall off.

Yeah, when I'm just doing it at home or on the ship I generally leave that stuff on the side (along with cilantro and lime wedges) so people can add or not as they choose, but for a restaurant presentation or something similar where people are expecting a fully presented dish the mexican flag condiment motif is a guaranteed winner.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 11, 2012, 06:01:03 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 11, 2012, 04:20:51 PM

Yeah, when I'm just doing it at home or on the ship I generally leave that stuff on the side (along with cilantro and lime wedges) so people can add or not as they choose, but for a restaurant presentation or something similar where people are expecting a fully presented dish the mexican flag condiment motif is a guaranteed winner.

I could totally see that being a pretty impressive presentation.

The Rev

Terri is working on putting a cookbook together. She figures if we can cook it and clean up after in a motorhome, then even her kids should be able to cook this food.  :)

Jenne

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2012, 05:56:53 PM
Terri is working on putting a cookbook together. She figures if we can cook it and clean up after in a motorhome, then even her kids should be able to cook this food.  :)
Gonna say to you what I said to Vincent when he said he's doing that:  WANT.  So let us know when this goes down so I can BUY.

The Rev

Quote from: Jenne on February 15, 2012, 07:02:15 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2012, 05:56:53 PM
Gonna say to you what I said to Vincent when he said he's doing that:  WANT.  So let us know when this goes down so I can BUY.

Of course, we have talked about putting it on kindle and nook for $.99.