News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

SBotD or BIP Illustrations

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, February 28, 2007, 03:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

lol discordian lawsuits

i cant wait to see that in these forums
neat hell

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LHX on March 02, 2007, 03:56:33 AM
lol discordian lawsuits

i cant wait to see that in these forums

Netaungrot,
not an assprone illustrator.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

Quote from: Netaungrot on February 28, 2007, 11:42:20 PMHard to say as I'm not looking at your screen.  I'm dealing with a LCD, and I bet most of y'all have a CRT monitor that you've never calibrated or just prefer dark. 

just because i didn't believe a word you said i went out and bought myself a shiny new 19 inch TFT monitor and it turns out you're absolutely right! the pictures look crisp and clear, with good contrast (1:1400) now.

in other news, i got a new monitor YAAAAY (and about fucking time, too)

also the first one is a bit clearer now, so i can give some feedback on it: first, i'm not entirely sure what the metaphore is you're trying to depict (neither too certain with the other one, but that one looks just plain cool as it is). other than that, i think you might want to fiddle a littlebit with the "eyes", unless that's a part of the metaphore i'm missing, the look a bit weird, and if the two smaller white ovals are supposed to be shiny spots, it's not really working in a half-transparent silhouette, IMO.
apart from that, still a cool image. heavy with symbolism, even though i don't quite "get" it.

addition: i just saw the lighter versions, i agree they are somewhat washed out. i can imagine the darker ones looking very cool in professional print though. also are the eyes perhaps meant to be some kind of streetlights attached to the telephone pole or something?

QuoteI'm not going to just hand out high-resolution files of my work for anybody reading this forum to do whatever the fuck they want with.

oh ok so these images are not for including in random pamphlets or anything, but only for the hi quality professionally printed versions of the SBOTD and perhaps a BIP book?
because afaik, any pamphlets are just going to be printed on cheap printers, and then maybe photocopied a few times, which will definitely not work with these pics, as they'll just end up as mostly dark blotches (no matter what resolution you're using, this is a gamma issue), but in that case better stick with syn's duotone style (like the squid/penis/rorschach thing you did for another pamphlet, that worked really well)

so, in anyway, seeing the washed-outness of the lighter pictures, yeah better print them high quality or not at all :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Net wins.  Enjoy the monitor.

Thanks for the feedback 000.  I agree that the metaphor is vague, but if it's put into the context of the BIP or SBotD, I think it comes together.

I suppose I could work on simplifying the tones, but I imagine printing problems would still come up unless I managed a black and white.

Yes, the eye's are created by the streetlights, and I agree that it doesn't look to great in that version.  I originally made them in color...

Here's what I settled on:

Triple Zero

ooh nice!

the streetlight is definitely a lot clearer now. i like the man running away as well.

the small tree in the background should probably be a different shade .. i'd guess darker, but experiment with it.

the "eye" of the head looks quite different now, at first it had a sort of "mindless/drone" kind of look, now it looks sort of determined and .. cool, or something. dunno what effect you're trying to get at though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Quote from: triple zero on March 04, 2007, 01:26:38 AM
ooh nice!

the streetlight is definitely a lot clearer now. i like the man running away as well.

the small tree in the background should probably be a different shade .. i'd guess darker, but experiment with it.

the "eye" of the head looks quite different now, at first it had a sort of "mindless/drone" kind of look, now it looks sort of determined and .. cool, or something. dunno what effect you're trying to get at though.

8)

The small tree is that color to help balance the heavy visual weight of the right. 

The effect should make you feel like you're listening to Madlib's instrumental "Sickfit" off of the Madvillainy album.  In terms of the metaphor, I don't know.  I got stoned one day and was walking down the street and it just hit me.