News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

J.K Rowling is writing a new book.

Started by Danjanon, March 04, 2012, 04:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danjanon

Oysters Rockefeller

Kind of, actually. I wasn't huge into HP after the fourth book or so came out, but she's a better writer than we usually get in the mainstream these days.

That said, the hype might kill this book before it comes out.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Cain

I'm only excited if it means Elizier Yudowsky will start posting chapters of HPMoR again, to capitalize off the publicity.

And, I just feel this is necessary to point out, but unless you're a child, Rowling is not that great a writer.  Or, rather, we have nothing to judge Rowling's writing intended for adults by.  She seems a nice lady, and certainly patient when dealing with her insane fanbase, but her books are a hodgepodge of "you are the chosen one" fantasy, tween angst and utterly incompetent main characters.

Oysters Rockefeller

True, but since she's (primarily, sort of) a children's fiction writer, nobody expects her to go Dostoevsky on us.
I'm referring less to the technical aspects of her writing and more about the idea that it has something resembling a meaning, as opposed to writers like Stephanie Meyer or John Grisham. Those bastards.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

B_M_W

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2012, 04:22:13 PM
I'm only excited if it means Elizier Yudowsky will start posting chapters of HPMoR again, to capitalize off the publicity.

And, I just feel this is necessary to point out, but unless you're a child, Rowling is not that great a writer.  Or, rather, we have nothing to judge Rowling's writing intended for adults by.  She seems a nice lady, and certainly patient when dealing with her insane fanbase, but her books are a hodgepodge of "you are the chosen one" fantasy, tween angst and utterly incompetent main characters.

I agree with this. Harry Potter is shit, but Yudowsky's fanfiction makes it incredible. That said, it makes a better moral document than any mainstream religious text.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Danjanon

I have a way of choosing what I read so that I don't get too bogged down with too serious or heavy stuff. Harry Potter came into the something light and fun or a children's book.  I was little mitre than a child when I first stated reading them and by the fifth one I was hooked.

I agree with Cain regarding some of the fan made work. I think when it's good it can to the HP universe beautifully and when it's bad I ignore it :)

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Juana

Unless it's that encyclopedia she keeps promising us, I probably don't care.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Arim the Backwards One

Ah, yes, i'm actually pretty exited. I think she's a great writer, good at planning her plot out and hooking the readers. Also, she said in an interwiev that this book would be an adult's book and nothing like Happy Potter, so i'm looking forward to see how she'll treat a more mature audience.
Trying Too Hard since 1997
---
"If you can't laugh at the darkness, that's when the darkness takes over." - Amanda Fucking Palmer

Danjanon

As each Harry Potter book came out, I think she did a great job of growing with her audience. I hope this new book extends that in a way. I'm also hoping for no magic just to see her writing without what some people have called the gimmicky parts.

Cain

I still think she should write Harry Potter and the Sub-prime Mortgage Crisis, a financial thriller about how Harry Potter, as managing director of Gringott's investment arm, must figure out how to stop the global wizarding economy from imploding after a risky scheme involving CDOs and playing the housing market goes awry.

LMNO

:lulz:

You know, I really would totally read that.

Would Harry get really depressed and not talk to anyone who knew anything about the problem for 85% of the book?

Cain

He'd try, but human resources would worry about his withdrawn nature and refer him to a therapist.

Danjanon

East Coast Hustle

JK Rowling's writing is puerile shit. That Harry Potter is so popular says less about her talent than it does about the awful degradation that has happened in young adult literature in the last couple decades and the accompanying decrease in both the expectations and good taste of the relevant audience.

For the love of GAWD someone please link to LMNO's fanfic piece ITT.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"