Main Menu

Data Mining

Started by LMNO, March 10, 2014, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 10, 2014, 04:00:44 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 10, 2014, 03:58:49 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 10, 2014, 03:54:00 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/10/17/amanda_todd_suicide_did_anonymous_dox_the_wrong_guy.html

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/04/19/wrong-boy-targeted-online-witch-hunt-noisy-drummer.html

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 10, 2014, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 10, 2014, 03:54:09 PM
Data mining isn't bad, it's just another absolutely fucking awesome piece of tech or, rather, an awesome approach to using tech.

Some people are bad, so they do what they always do with fucking awesome tech - they use it to do retarded shit.

The "data mining is teh evil" mindset could equally be applied to science in general

Scientists stalk people?  That explains so much...

Forgive me, I thought the thread was about data mining.

I fail to see any difference between data mining and stalking, to be perfectly honest.

really? because they have two very different definitions, regardless of your personal feelings on data mining.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I get really annoyed every time an interesting conversation here is squelched because someone has a strong opinion about something tangentially related to the subject matter and proceeds to throw a wet blanket over the entire conversation by getting all morally indignant that other people want to explore a subject that doesn't meet their specific criteria of OK-ness.

I don't have a whole lot of free time these days. Interesting intellectual conversations are one of the main reasons I make time for PD. It would be nice if they were allowed to happen without some moralistic bullshit being puked all over them.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 06, 2014, 02:32:42 AM
Don't know if this is quite relevant, but still a good story on data mining in general: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

The Target statistics guy who creeped people the fuck out is a story worth studying. I think I read that in the NYT, but it's more relevant than ever:

QuoteIf we send someone a catalog and say, 'Congratulations on your first child!' and they've never told us they're pregnant, that's going to make some people uncomfortable," Pole told me. "We are very conservative about compliance with all privacy laws. But even if you're following the law, you can do things where people get queasy.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

UB

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on May 06, 2014, 06:49:43 AM
I get really annoyed every time an interesting conversation here is squelched because someone has a strong opinion about something tangentially related to the subject matter and proceeds to throw a wet blanket over the entire conversation by getting all morally indignant that other people want to explore a subject that doesn't meet their specific criteria of OK-ness.

I don't have a whole lot of free time these days. Interesting intellectual conversations are one of the main reasons I make time for PD. It would be nice if they were allowed to happen without some moralistic bullshit being puked all over them.

Oh, geeze, no pics were even needed for such an illustrative presentation. 
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Inge on June 08, 2014, 04:19:34 PM

I'm glad you've come back to tell us WHAT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

UB

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 08, 2014, 05:12:08 PM

Come back? Seriously. I wouldn't boast to be able to inform anyone of anything. All things seem apparent.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Inge on June 08, 2014, 05:36:35 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 08, 2014, 05:12:08 PM

Come back? Seriously. I wouldn't boast to be able to inform anyone of anything. All things seem apparent.

And yet here you are.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

UB