News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Help

Started by hunter s.durden, September 26, 2012, 03:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

However, I would take any 5 jazz bands over ANY "rockabilly" group.  The Stray Cats, for example, should have their hair gel ignited.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mangrove

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 26, 2012, 08:32:07 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on September 26, 2012, 08:27:42 PM
Now, more importantly.....I demand to know why you do not like jazz! I take deep personal exception to the fact that our record collections are not the same! This is very distressing as I am unwilling to accept that other people, especially you, will not listen to Bebop. In fact, I am very sure you are responsible for making other people not like jazz.

I hope so.  With only a few exceptions (Ella Fitzgerald, etc), Jazz consists of 4 different guys playing 4 different songs in the same room at the same time.  No, wait.  4 different guys tuning up their instruments in the same room at the same time.  It isn't music, and can best be compared to That Guy at a party, who gets ahold of an accoustic guitar and "plays" it (fucking with one bad chord and commenting about how badly tuned it is) until TGRR and Knuckles drag him out back and kick his ass.

Jazz musicians should be beaten mercilessly and then be sold to medical research.  Or a pet food factory.

:lol:

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Mangrove

Did you know that Ella Fitzgerald was a big proponent of magic and homeopathy? I'm pretty sure she was into Ayn Rand too.

:wink:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mangrove on September 26, 2012, 08:39:46 PM
Did you know that Ella Fitzgerald was a big proponent of magic and homeopathy? I'm pretty sure she was into Ayn Rand too.

I don't get it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 26, 2012, 08:40:19 PM

I don't get it.
Pretty sure mang is just yanking your crank for fun and profit.  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on September 26, 2012, 08:41:38 PM

I don't get it.

Still not getting it.

Mangrove

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 26, 2012, 08:42:31 PM

I don't get it.

Still not getting it.

It's all part of the plan. You see, for a n00b to 'depose TGRR', it's important for him/her to find some point of agreement. By making an exception for Ella Fitzgerald, it's only a matter of 50+ pages before you are inducted into a Wiccan Coven by a 15 year old 'high priestess' using 'Atlas Shrugged' as a book of shadows. Slippery slope and all that.

Without this sort of idealism, how will Holist (or his next incarnation) sustain multiple threads across the board, all the same essential premise - to make you less 'you' and more like [insert whatever quality/trait the n00b believes is desireable].

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mangrove on September 26, 2012, 08:58:08 PM

I don't get it.

Still not getting it.

It's all part of the plan. You see, for a n00b to 'depose TGRR', it's important for him/her to find some point of agreement. By making an exception for Ella Fitzgerald, it's only a matter of 50+ pages before you are inducted into a Wiccan Coven by a 15 year old 'high priestess' using 'Atlas Shrugged' as a book of shadows. Slippery slope and all that.

Without this sort of idealism, how will Holist (or his next incarnation) sustain multiple threads across the board, all the same essential premise - to make you less 'you' and more like [insert whatever quality/trait the n00b believes is desireable].

Not sure.  After that nonsense, I feel more Roger than ever.

Mangrove

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 26, 2012, 08:58:55 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on September 26, 2012, 08:58:08 PM

I don't get it.

Still not getting it.

Not sure.  After that nonsense, I feel more Roger than ever.

Well, that's the bit they're not taking into account. The n00b plan consists only of "Follow your dreams! Everyone who tries really hard always wins out!"

LMNO

Now, more importantly.....I demand to know why you do not like jazz! I take deep personal exception to the fact that our record collections are not the same! This is very distressing as I am unwilling to accept that other people, especially you, will not listen to Bebop. In fact, I am very sure you are responsible for making other people not like jazz.

Ok, now listen.  I also enjoy jazz, and have a large amount of vinyl.  But Bebop?  That's just going too far.  As much as I respect Coltrane, I think Giant Steps was one of the worst things to happen to the genre.  I'm a big fan of swing, the kind of luxurious melodies you listen to is a smoky bar, or the big jump sound that gets you on the floor and moving.  But then things started getting faster, and wankier, and worst of all most people who tried to do it sucked at it.  So I veered straight into Free Jazz, where you knew it was supposed to be one huge cacophony.

Oh, but Roger:  Did you know you can find Nina Simone in the jazz section most often?  :troll:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mangrove on September 26, 2012, 08:01:55 PM
At risk of sounding like a sanctimonious asshole, I don't have a Facebook account or Twitter or Stumbleupon or Pinterest etc. I cannot for the life of me think of a reason as to why I would want one of these things.

Because Facebook is AWESOME.

I shit you not.

They keep making these features that, when you use them exactly as they were intended to be used, people get epically mad. They get genuinely really, really upset, and sometimes they unfriend you, or unfriend your friend, depending. Best of all, these features are extremely easy to use and require minimal time or effort.

What's not to love?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 26, 2012, 09:47:01 PM

Ok, now listen.  I also enjoy jazz, and have a large amount of vinyl.  But Bebop?  That's just going too far.  As much as I respect Coltrane, I think Giant Steps was one of the worst things to happen to the genre.  I'm a big fan of swing, the kind of luxurious melodies you listen to is a smoky bar, or the big jump sound that gets you on the floor and moving.  But then things started getting faster, and wankier, and worst of all most people who tried to do it sucked at it.  So I veered straight into Free Jazz, where you knew it was supposed to be one huge cacophony.

Oh, but Roger:  Did you know you can find Nina Simone in the jazz section most often?  :troll:

I did say there were some exceptions.

That being said, Nina Simone is a blues singer, and anyone who puts her stuff in the jazz section should be given a block of instruction in basic music genres.

hooplala

There're quite a few singers who seem to transcend both genres.  You can easily find Bessie Smith in either Jazz or Blues... and I think the same can be said for Billie Holiday?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman