My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

Deck Duel

Started by Cramulus, July 16, 2013, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Deck Duel
(c) Cramulus

A fighting game for 2-4 players using regular playing cards.

Setting Up: Each player is dealt a hand of cards and given some tokens to represent life points. One player is given an "initiative" marker.

In a 2 person game, you get 5 cards and 5 life points.
In a 3 person game, you get 6 cards and 6 life points.
In a 4 person game, you get 7 cards and 7 life points.

Black cards represent kicks. Red cards represent punches. The card's number indicates how strong the attack is.

Taking Turns: Play is divided into rounds. The player with the initiative marker acts first. Then, play goes to the left.

Attacking: On your turn, you may play one attack. This attack is applied to each opponent simultaneously. Each opponent may try to block it by throwing a card of the same color and an equal or higher number. For example, a red 5 can only be blocked by a red card of 5 or higher. If the attack is not blocked, the defender loses a life point.

Flying Attacks: If you have two cards of the same number (example, the two of spades and the two of hearts), you may use them together as a flying attack. Both cards in the flying attack deal 1 damage and must be blocked separately. If the defender can only block one of the cards, the attack deals 1 damage.

Counter Attacks: If you block an attack using a card with the same number (for example, blocking a jack of clubs with a jack of spades), it is called a counter attack. The block card counts as an attack against the original attacker. He or she may attempt to block it as normal. You may not counter a flying attack.

"Finish Him!" When a player runs out of life points, he or she is dying. The person who landed the final attack may immediately throw an attack as a "finishing move". If the dying player can block the finishing move, he or she survives the match but is still knocked out. If the dying player cannot block the finishing move, he or she is beheaded.

At the end of the round (after everybody has taken a turn), draw cards until your hand is full again. The initiative marker is passed to the left.

How to Win: You get one point for being the last player alive in a round. You lose a point for being beheaded. Play a few games to see who is the best fighter!

Sita

:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Cramulus

It's pretty fast to play, too. I made up this game with my brothers while we were on vacation.

And it seems very simple, but there's a moderate amount of strategy. You don't necessarily want to throw your highest card as your attack, you may want to save it for blocking (or to keep from being beheaded in endgame).

You also want to get your lowest cards out of your hand. When you throw a weak attack, your opponent will throw his weakest possible block, which tells you a bit about what they're holding.

So it becomes a game of guessing what cards your opponent has available and throwing the highest attack he can't block. There will also be times when you let an attack through because you are saving a card for a flying attack... the more you play, the more layers of strategy become apparent.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on July 16, 2013, 05:26:05 PM
It's pretty fast to play, too. I made up this game with my brothers while we were on vacation.

And it seems very simple, but there's a moderate amount of strategy. You don't necessarily want to throw your highest card as your attack, you may want to save it for blocking (or to keep from being beheaded in endgame).

You also want to get your lowest cards out of your hand. When you throw a weak attack, your opponent will throw his weakest possible block, which tells you a bit about what they're holding.

So it becomes a game of guessing what cards your opponent has available and throwing the highest attack he can't block. There will also be times when you let an attack through because you are saving a card for a flying attack... the more you play, the more layers of strategy become apparent.

So it's basically spades with more blood.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on July 16, 2013, 03:55:48 PM
Deck Duel
(c) Cramulus
A fighting game for 2-4 players using regular playing cards.

Setting Up: Each player is dealt a hand of cards and given some tokens to represent life points. One player is given an "initiative" marker.

In a 2 person game, you get 5 cards and 5 life points.
In a 3 person game, you get 6 cards and 6 life points.
In a 4 person game, you get 7 cards and 7 life points.

Black cards represent kicks. Red cards represent punches. The card's number indicates how strong the attack is.

Taking Turns: Play is divided into rounds. The player with the initiative marker acts first. Then, play goes to the left.

Attacking: On your turn, you may play one attack. This attack is applied to each opponent simultaneously. Each opponent may try to block it by throwing a card of the same color and an equal or higher number. For example, a red 5 can only be blocked by a red card of 5 or higher. If the attack is not blocked, the defender loses a life point.

Flying Attacks: If you have two cards of the same number (example, the two of spades and the two of hearts), you may use them together as a flying attack. Both cards in the flying attack deal 1 damage and must be blocked separately. If the defender can only block one of the cards, the attack deals 1 damage.

Counter Attacks: If you block an attack using a card with the same number (for example, blocking a jack of clubs with a jack of spades), it is called a counter attack. The block card counts as an attack against the original attacker. He or she may attempt to block it as normal. You may not counter a flying attack.

"Finish Him!" When a player runs out of life points, he or she is dying. The person who landed the final attack may immediately throw an attack as a "finishing move". If the dying player can block the finishing move, he or she survives the match but is still knocked out. If the dying player cannot block the finishing move, he or she is beheaded.

At the end of the round (after everybody has taken a turn), draw cards until your hand is full again. The initiative marker is passed to the left.

How to Win: You get one point for being the last player alive in a round. You lose a point for being beheaded. Play a few games to see who is the best fighter!

Great timing, now I have something to do with my layovers on my trip to Austin next week.  Thanks Cram!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 16, 2013, 05:26:35 PM

I was thinking it was Asshole with less booze. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 16, 2013, 07:00:06 PM

Asshole with more blood.  <--- I think we can all agree this is the best possible option.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

That's actually a pretty good title for the game

:rbtg:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 16, 2013, 07:07:41 PM
Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 16, 2013, 07:00:06 PM

Asshole with more blood.  <--- I think we can all agree this is the best possible option.

Add a "chug a beer/take a shot if you get beheaded" provision and I'm sold.

Wait. Even better.

If you get beheaded, you have a CHOICE. You can either chug a beer/take a shot OR you can agree to get slapped in the face by one of the other players. The rest of the players choose who amongst them gets to slap the beheaded.

Alcohol + social politics is always a winning equation.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cramulus

*scribbling down notes*

You should pursue a career in game design.

East Coast Hustle

Does it pay money on a semi-regular basis?

Cramulus

your payment is watching your drunken friends slap each other

it's a kind of salary

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 16, 2013, 08:34:29 PM
Does it pay money on a semi-regular basis?

Speaking as an ex-industry professional, there are a few things you need to economize on if you choose a career in this field.

1.  The best shopping carts come from Kohls.
2.  A refridgerator box makes a good home, but you need to cover it in plastic in case it rains.
3.  Learn to eat dirt.
Molon Lube