News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

what the fuck is up with the taboo on 'swear words'

Started by Slarti, March 19, 2004, 01:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

swear words...
cussing..
profanity...

WHO CARES?

i don't know if this is how it is in the _/ real \_ world, but i'm sick of the taboo that everyone around me (besides most teenagers) has on words like { fuck, shit, asshole, son of a bitch, cocksucker, pussy, hell, etc }. When you say one, it's like the world explodes... who cares.. it's not armageddon.... it's just a word. When i mention this, most 'adults' retaliate with "well, the word stands for something bad"- that's not good enough for me. Words only have meaning that we assign to them, and, um, i ran out of things to say.

Verily so! or not!

DJ Zelian

The taboo is a great source of amusement when devout fundamentalist Christians flip out and start swearing... and then apologize to the rest of us in the room who really couldn't give a fuck.
Reaching out to embrace the random
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come

Out of the Wasteland

Quote from: tsaftrabitralsswear words...
cussing..
profanity...

WHO CARES?

i don't know if this is how it is in the _/ real \_ world, but i'm sick of the taboo that everyone around me (besides most teenagers) has on words like { fuck, shit, asshole, son of a bitch, cocksucker, pussy, hell, etc }. When you say one, it's like the world explodes... who cares.. it's not armageddon.... it's just a word. When i mention this, most 'adults' retaliate with "well, the word stands for something bad"- that's not good enough for me. Words only have meaning that we assign to them, and, um, i ran out of things to say.

Verily so! or not!

Profanity is fine, but it seems a shame to dilute it via excessive use.  It should be savored when used...used seldom, but in eruptions much like a volcano, when it IS used.
We will march on a road of bones.

Trollax

Lots of words are offensive to different people...

Like rationality to UFO freaks.
Or Possibility to scientists.

Like Faith to fundamentalists
or Question for that matter.

Accountability to Politicians
and Progress to Environmentalists.

All important concepts (like fucking, shitting, Jesus and all the others) we'd prefer not to think about because it countermands our straght-jacketed view of reality.

Guido Finucci

Quote from: Out of the WastelandProfanity is fine, but it seems a shame to dilute it via excessive use.  It should be savored when used...used seldom, but in eruptions much like a volcano, when it IS used.

Amen! It is good to have some words that carry unusual force, that can shake Greyface with their mere utterance. They should be treasured. Sure, like all words, they're arbitrary but the ones we've ended up with aren't too bad - they roll off the tongue nicely.

Word taboo is hilarious.
Even people who dislike word taboo sometimes shudder at the word "Nigger", and many others depending on the person. Its built in psychological conditioning that causes this, because of the cavalier way people use words like "Shit" and "Cunt" and "Fuck" do not phase people the way they used to.

I say its time to overcome those built in automatic responses.

Communication is not about the words themselves but the intent and meaning behind them. (IE Whether or not somebody is using the words for emphasis or whether the person is actually accusing another of fucking their mother.)

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Zombie¬?Word taboo is hilarious.
Even people who dislike word taboo sometimes shudder at the word "Nigger", and many others depending on the person. Its built in psychological conditioning that causes this, because of the cavalier way people use words like "Shit" and "Cunt" and "Fuck" do not phase people the way they used to.

I say its time to overcome those built in automatic responses.

Communication is not about the words themselves but the intent and meaning behind them. (IE Whether or not somebody is using the words for emphasis or whether the person is actually accusing another of fucking their mother.)

i agree.
Hell is other people.

Slarti

Out of the Wasteland

Even people who dislike word taboo sometimes shudder at the word "Nigger", and many others depending on the person.

Yep.  I do.  I also get a little angry, having been called "spic" and "wetback" a time or two.

Try it on the receiving end, bro.

Bella

Quote from: Out of the Wasteland
Even people who dislike word taboo sometimes shudder at the word "Nigger", and many others depending on the person.

Yep.  I do.  I also get a little angry, having been called "spic" and "wetback" a time or two.

Actually, racial slurs piss me off royally.

S'one of the big reasons I left the ex......too many years of
listening to him sit there belittling people he didn't even know
on the basis of something as superficial as the color someone's skin
of the shape of their eyes.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Out of the Wasteland

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: Out of the Wasteland

Actually, racial slurs piss me off royally.

S'one of the big reasons I left the ex......too many years of
listening to him sit there belittling people he didn't even know
on the basis of something as superficial as the color someone's skin
of the shape of their eyes.

I like you.

Bella

just like in a dream

I can understand the personal distaste for racial slurs, thats really just something that varies between social groups. Its pretty much a sure bet that whenever I hear them, or use them, its entirely for comedic value amongst people who get the joke. I'm not a big fan of getting shot, and I'm usually not a big fan of pissing people off over something which I deem as being incredibly petty. (A lot of humor is blatantly offensive. )

Then again, I also know tons of people who use the word "faggot" without discretion, but get pissed off at racial slurs as a general principle... so really that argument is more directed towards that mindset.

DJ Zelian

Offending people because they are too uptight is a different thing than insulting them because you think they're a lesser subspecies of human.
Reaching out to embrace the random
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come

Bella

Quote from: DJ ZelianOffending people because they are too uptight is a different thing than insulting them because you think they're a lesser subspecies of human.
Yup, that it is.
just like in a dream