News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Normal

Started by Doktor Howl, August 06, 2015, 06:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

I am a hideous & vile old man.  I am in fact so old that the Earth's population doubled in my lifetime.  Get that around your noodle...An extra 3.7 billion people in less than half a century.  I remember the world as not being so crowded, and I remember correctly.  When I was a boy there were fish in the ocean and turnip trees on the land, as far as the eye could see.

But having seven and a half billion people is the New Normal.

Humans are really good at compartmentalizing stuff.  Nigel could probably give you biological reasons for this, using words that sound made up but sadly aren't, but let's break it down in layman's terms.  When stress gets too awful, when the boogieman is coming out from under the bed with your tax records in his teeth, when your nation is eating itself and howling through mouthfuls of its own skin that it is still strong...The angel of apathy comes along and whacks you upside the head.  All these things are now Normal.  They are part of the routine, and are less stressful.  Or at least you can ignore the stress, at least until it's time to buy an AR15 and join the folks jabbering about Jade Helm.

Manufactured Normalcy.  It's not really a new concept.  How many times have you heard some horrible new band that makes you want to smash your car into a wall?  Everyone hates those guys.  But the radio plays them and plays them, MTV gets some brain-damaged kids to scream on TRL, and suddenly the horrible band is just another part of the scene.  This is how Fallout Boy happens.  Neuroscience is a strange and frightening thing, and not for the likes of you and I.  Unless you're the kind of person that gets off on slicing up thousands of snake brains.

Manufactured Normalcy is also how people like Rick Santorum and Donald Trump can run for president and have 47% of the country keep a straight face.  After all, once you've voted for Palin, you're pretty much at rock bottom, may as well go for broke.  It is how the TSA can now grab your junk for no reason and you just gotta stand there and smile.  It's how police can just start murdering people for any reason or no reason at all, and the outraged masses will...Well, they'll LIKE and they'll SHARE and they'll TWEET, but as mad as they get, it's now NORMAL, so that's all they're gonna do.  Get mad.  Not the clean, white-hot anger of the superior mutant, but the sickening, ulcer-inducing anger of a person who HAS gotten mad as hell, but IS gonna take it some more.  Not because they're cowards, but because that's the way it is

This is The Machine™.  It turns out there never were clattering treads and grindy choppy horrible spiky bits.  Well, actually there were.  But that's to be expected.

Or Kill Me.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 06, 2015, 06:59:35 PM
I am a hideous & vile old man.  I am in fact so old that the Earth's population doubled in my lifetime.  Get that around your noodle...An extra 3.7 billion people in less than half a century.  I remember the world as not being so crowded, and I remember correctly.  When I was a boy there were fish in the ocean and turnip trees on the land, as far as the eye could see.

But having seven and a half billion people is the New Normal.

Humans are really good at compartmentalizing stuff.  Nigel could probably give you biological reasons for this, using words that sound made up but sadly aren't, but let's break it down in layman's terms.  When stress gets too awful, when the boogieman is coming out from under the bed with your tax records in his teeth, when your nation is eating itself and howling through mouthfuls of its own skin that it is still strong...The angel of apathy comes along and whacks you upside the head.  All these things are now Normal.  They are part of the routine, and are less stressful.  Or at least you can ignore the stress, at least until it's time to buy an AR15 and join the folks jabbering about Jade Helm.

Manufactured Normalcy.  It's not really a new concept.  How many times have you heard some horrible new band that makes you want to smash your car into a wall?  Everyone hates those guys.  But the radio plays them and plays them, MTV gets some brain-damaged kids to scream on TRL, and suddenly the horrible band is just another part of the scene.  This is how Fallout Boy happens.  Neuroscience is a strange and frightening thing, and not for the likes of you and I.  Unless you're the kind of person that gets off on slicing up thousands of snake brains.

Manufactured Normalcy is also how people like Rick Santorum and Donald Trump can run for president and have 47% of the country keep a straight face.  After all, once you've voted for Palin, you're pretty much at rock bottom, may as well go for broke.  It is how the TSA can now grab your junk for no reason and you just gotta stand there and smile.  It's how police can just start murdering people for any reason or no reason at all, and the outraged masses will...Well, they'll LIKE and they'll SHARE and they'll TWEET, but as mad as they get, it's now NORMAL, so that's all they're gonna do.  Get mad.  Not the clean, white-hot anger of the superior mutant, but the sickening, ulcer-inducing anger of a person who HAS gotten mad as hell, but IS gonna take it some more.  Not because they're cowards, but because that's the way it is

This is The Machine™.  It turns out there never were clattering treads and grindy choppy horrible spiky bits.  Well, actually there were.  But that's to be expected.

Or Kill Me.
Outrage is the new normal.

Internet shaming is the new normal.

Hell no GMO is the new normal.

Defund Planned Parenthood is the new normal.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Fracking is the new normal.

Paleo is the new normal.

Candy Crush is the new normal.

The Wizard Joseph

Whole states ablaze and left to burn is the new normal
Water shortage and continuing to bottle it is the new normal
Rare earth metals at rock bottom prices is the new normal
The air filled with radio waves and fallout particles is the new normal

And definitely go ahead and eat the fish
And never question the price of anything
And don't worry about ISIS, GD, and company
And coastal real estate prices are just fine

Always have been,
Always gonna be

And it just might kill me
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nickelback is the new normal.

When I was much younger I thought that there was some kind of key to changing the world, some idea I might hit upon and save us from the headlong, determined hurtle toward a mass extinction event that may well wipe out every vertebrate on the planet.

If there is, I never found it. So now, I'm mostly just along for the ride, seeing how much I can figure out about how you fuckers work and why we're so intent on planetary suicide before the oceans go dead and the droughts soak up our agriculture regions.

If we're lucky, all that will happen next is catastrophic famines that will severely curtail our determined efforts to strip the planet like locusts in a green Utah cornfield. If we're really lucky, we'll remember why it happened, and restructure our entire remaining civilization to avoid it ever happening again.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 07, 2015, 02:49:19 AM
Nickelback is the new normal.

When I was much younger I thought that there was some kind of key to changing the world, some idea I might hit upon and save us from the headlong, determined hurtle toward a mass extinction event that may well wipe out every vertebrate on the planet.

If there is, I never found it. So now, I'm mostly just along for the ride, seeing how much I can figure out about how you fuckers work and why we're so intent on planetary suicide before the oceans go dead and the droughts soak up our agriculture regions.

If we're lucky, all that will happen next is catastrophic famines that will severely curtail our determined efforts to strip the planet like locusts in a green Utah cornfield. If we're really lucky, we'll remember why it happened, and restructure our entire remaining civilization to avoid it ever happening again.

THIS!

And in light of that it would seem that dreams of a Mars colony and asteroid mining may be truly that. A dream.

Dreaming of a new world to harvest while this one burns is the new normal
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Primates are not known for having an institutional memory with respect to the tragedy of the commons.

My guess is everything will freeze.  That's the optimistic outlook, because the human species has a track record of surviving ice ages.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2015, 03:34:21 AM

Primates are not known for having an institutional memory with respect to the tragedy of the commons.

My guess is everything will freeze.  That's the optimistic outlook, because the human species has a track record of surviving ice ages.

We're a pretty young species, and the "civilization" stage of our development has happened on a very short timeline.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 07, 2015, 07:23:25 AM

We're a pretty young species, and the "civilization" stage of our development has happened on a very short timeline.

Sure.  But our species has made it through ice ages, all the same.  What we can't survive is 160F temperatures and acid oceans.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2015, 09:27:30 PM

Sure.  But our species has made it through ice ages, all the same.  What we can't survive is 160F temperatures and acid oceans.

Mostly because the human-friendly microbes can't. Laundry lore.

If that became Earth's new normal we could only survive in constructed environments if at all.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 07, 2015, 09:59:26 PM

If that became Earth's new normal we could only survive in constructed environments if at all.

As a maintenance guy, that means "we can't".
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2015, 10:01:24 PM

As a guy who's watched the maintenance guys I agree. Also why Mars colony is a terrible idea. Just really, really bad.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 07, 2015, 10:04:53 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2015, 10:01:24 PM

As a guy who's watched the maintenance guys I agree. Also why Mars colony is a terrible idea. Just really, really bad.

It's a deathtrap.  On top of that, they'd arrive as tumors in suits.

But it's never going to happen.  After years of fundraising, they have 10% of what they need to build their initial unmanned probe, let alone launch it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was responding to the tragedy of the commons bit, not the ice age bit. We'd weather an ice age just fine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mostly because there would be nothing to eat or breathe.