News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

The Barstool is a Double-Edged Weapon.

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, July 06, 2007, 04:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 10, 2007, 03:17:16 AM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 09, 2007, 11:34:32 PM
...Stang tends to be more Discordian in his view of the norms than most SubGeniuses. Though most of his 'followers' seem to have embraced the SubGenius philosophy that he preaches, rather than the one that he tends to actively participate in).

Ratatosk

Stang doesn't practice what he preaches because he's not the kind of person he's preaching to.

Oh I agree... I think with Stang, he's got his Game and everyone (including TGGR) plays. He may appear tragically hip, but he (like RAW) seem to be making it through the game without having to do a lot of icky work that wasn't any fun. I wouldn't mind being that tragically hip come retirement....;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

tyrannosaurus vex

With Stang, the barstool is only good for one thing.

for everyone else, the OP applies.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Rat, a lot of people are throwing around the metaphor/parable of the Barstool Experiment in ways that, in some instances, are quite different from each other.

For me, I think Cram might have it right.  While I'm no stranger to debates that spiral up and out of the realm of the practical into the fantastic, lately I've had little time for pretentious shits who think they have "the answer" to whatever problem there might be in this world, but would only be effective if the world were an entirely different place to begin with.

For example, I was recently in a debate with a guy who claimed everything wrong with society was the fault of the Federal Bank Reserve system.  He claimed that the evils of the world would vanish if we would abolish it.  He then went on about how he'd set up a new system based upon the freemarket, and meritocracy, etc.

When he was done, all I asked was, "so, how do you suggest to bring down a system that has it's roots deeply entwined with the very structure of our society, without making every other social institution collapse as well?"

He closed his mouth, and slunk away.  That, for me, is a Barstool.

Forteetu

WOMP'd

Episkopos of the Discordian Society

http://42.dia.net.au - Forteetu

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on July 10, 2007, 01:01:15 PM
Rat, a lot of people are throwing around the metaphor/parable of the Barstool Experiment in ways that, in some instances, are quite different from each other.

For me, I think Cram might have it right.  While I'm no stranger to debates that spiral up and out of the realm of the practical into the fantastic, lately I've had little time for pretentious shits who think they have "the answer" to whatever problem there might be in this world, but would only be effective if the world were an entirely different place to begin with.

For example, I was recently in a debate with a guy who claimed everything wrong with society was the fault of the Federal Bank Reserve system.  He claimed that the evils of the world would vanish if we would abolish it.  He then went on about how he'd set up a new system based upon the freemarket, and meritocracy, etc.

When he was done, all I asked was, "so, how do you suggest to bring down a system that has it's roots deeply entwined with the very structure of our society, without making every other social institution collapse as well?"

He closed his mouth, and slunk away.  That, for me, is a Barstool.

And that's a barstool I can get on!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

I think the cool thing about the barstool as a discordian philosophy is that it's applicable to most any level of strife you wish to inflict. 

It has uses beyond smashing or lazing about.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

the last yatto

This thread was the First google result for discordian barstool
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Don Coyote

Look, if your bar is leaving stool everywhere you need to put a diaper on it, or least follow it around with some baggies.