News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Huh. May be a benefit to drug testing at work...

Started by LMNO, May 15, 2014, 02:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

But it's not what you'd think.

QuoteNearly half of U.S. employers test job applicants and workers for drugs. A common assumption is that the rise of drug testing must have had negative consequences for black employment. However, the rise of employer drug testing may have benefited African-Americans by enabling non-using blacks to prove their status to employers. I use variation in the timing and nature of drug testing regulation to identify the impacts of testing on black hiring. Black employment in the testing sector is suppressed in the absence of testing, a finding which is consistent with ex ante discrimination on the basis of drug use perceptions. Adoption of pro-testing legislation increases black employment in the testing sector by 7-30% and relative wages by 1.4-13.0%, with the largest shifts among low skilled black men. Results further suggest that employers substitute white women for blacks in the absence of testing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 15, 2014, 02:54:49 PM

QuoteNearly half of U.S. employers test job applicants and workers for drugs. A common assumption is that the rise of drug testing must have had negative consequences for black employment. However, the rise of employer drug testing may have benefited African-Americans by enabling non-using blacks to prove their status to employers. I use variation in the timing and nature of drug testing regulation to identify the impacts of testing on black hiring. Black employment in the testing sector is suppressed in the absence of testing, a finding which is consistent with ex ante discrimination on the basis of drug use perceptions. Adoption of pro-testing legislation increases black employment in the testing sector by 7-30% and relative wages by 1.4-13.0%, with the largest shifts among low skilled black men. Results further suggest that employers substitute white women for blacks in the absence of testing.

Wait, who are these people who assume that drug testing would have negative impact on black employment?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 04:55:05 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 15, 2014, 02:54:49 PM

Wait, who are these people who assume that drug testing would have negative impact on black employment?

~ 87% of America.  Because Black people are scary.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Interesting unintended consequence, though. Not sure whether to find it more or less depressing, given the multitude of connotations. Racism; alive and well in the 21st century.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Not to mention sexism.

Oh my god, my head hurts.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 04:57:18 PM
Interesting unintended consequence, though. Not sure whether to find it more or less depressing, given the multitude of connotations. Racism; alive and well in the 21st century.

Alive, but not well.

It's wearing a body cast in a wheelchair, when stacked up against the past.  Now, we just have to find a convenient staircase.   :lulz:

The main thing that's allowing it to survive, in my opinion, is that everyone likes to think that it's already all the way dead.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2014, 06:16:27 PM

Alive, but not well.

It's wearing a body cast in a wheelchair, when stacked up against the past.  Now, we just have to find a convenient staircase.   :lulz:

The main thing that's allowing it to survive, in my opinion, is that everyone likes to think that it's already all the way dead.

I think that while things are definitely better than they have been in the past, racism is also so deeply entrenched in our institutions (education, medicine, politics, business, etc.) and simultaneously so invisible to most of the people who are not negatively affected by it that it is far from being in a body-cast.

Overt racism has been largely replaced with systemic, unconscious racism, the kind that means that in a science major cohort of 200, in a city where 20% of the population are nonwhite, in a college where over 50% of the students are nonwhite, there is only one student of color. And yet, there is no one thing we can point at to say, "Oh, there's the reason. There's the point at which brown kids are getting discouraged".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The kind that means that in the absence of drug-testing policies, employers default to hiring white women for unskilled positions, because the unacknowledged assumption is that black men do drugs.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Because white women make more desirable unskilled labor than black men on drugs; however, if we can prove that black men aren't on drugs, they're more desirable unskilled laborers than white women, who are in turn more desirable unskilled laborers than black women because who wants THOSE?

The whole thing makes my stomach turn. All of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2014, 06:16:27 PM

Alive, but not well.

I think that while things are definitely better than they have been in the past, racism is also so deeply entrenched in our institutions (education, medicine, politics, business, etc.) and simultaneously so invisible to most of the people who are not negatively affected by it that it is far from being in a body-cast.

Fair point.

QuoteOvert racism has been largely replaced with systemic, unconscious racism, the kind that means that in a science major cohort of 200, in a city where 20% of the population are nonwhite, in a college where over 50% of the students are nonwhite, there is only one student of color. And yet, there is no one thing we can point at to say, "Oh, there's the reason. There's the point at which brown kids are getting discouraged".

Yes, I see that now.   :oops: :lulz:

Junkenstein

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 08:56:14 PM
Because white women make more desirable unskilled labor than black men on drugs; however, if we can prove that black men aren't on drugs, they're more desirable unskilled laborers than white women, who are in turn more desirable unskilled laborers than black women because who wants THOSE?

That's exactly where my thinking went to straight away. Fucking vile. With the unspoken indication that if a non white woman jumps through ridiculous hoops she may be entitled to the same opportunities. So it's YOUR FAULT if you don't bend over to prove that you're employable.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 15, 2014, 09:12:04 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 08:56:14 PM

That's exactly where my thinking went to straight away. Fucking vile. With the unspoken indication that if a non white woman jumps through ridiculous hoops she may be entitled to the same opportunities. So it's YOUR FAULT if you don't bend over to prove that you're employable.

One day, we're gonna have to eat a bunch of people.  I don't like the idea, but I don't see many alternatives.

Our grandparents hashed the (very) basics of this shit out in the 30s, but we were too smart for their solutions.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I think racism has gotten pretty fucking overt since Obama took office. I see/hear a lot of shit in public settings that would have been whispered among the yahoos ten years ago. Fuckers got bold.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on May 15, 2014, 10:31:15 PM
I think racism has gotten pretty fucking overt since Obama took office. I see/hear a lot of shit in public settings that would have been whispered among the yahoos ten years ago. Fuckers got bold.

I think of that as draining a boil, really.  Now I know who the idiots are.

Junkenstein

Credit where it's due, one thing Obama's presidency has been good for has been finding out all the people who "Aren't racist but...."

Kind of like what UKIP is doing here I suppose.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.