News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Sister CityGASM

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, October 24, 2010, 04:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Came up with an idea because of Hanni, the Bostonian not from the Real Boston, but rather from that cheap English knock off.

Basically the idea was to get a list of every city/town called Boston around the world and try and evangelize some of the residents there. I imagine this will mostly have to be accomplished through social networking sites and such, but I'd like to see if we can come up with some good ideas for mailings or anything else. Naturally, some places will likely be difficult, such as the Boston in rural South Africa, but I'm willing to give each place a go.

This is not just a call to Boston spags, as someone from say, Portland could try and evangelize people in Indiana and Maine, as well as anywhere else in the world. A resident of Springfield has a smorgasbord. Or, if you prefer, you can actually look up what sister cities your city has and help strengthen cultural ties with them by giving them a little bit of the weird.

THoughts?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BadBeast

Any residents of Portlands, that are not Portland, Dorset, I would advise to give this place a wide berth. Something dark, dangerous, and best left alone still dwells there, in the tunnels under Castletown. If you are sceptical, check out the Tillycombe gene pool. Nor even half of the genes available there are human. But don't linger too long after dark, or Bunnies will get you.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on October 24, 2010, 04:41:57 PM
Any residents of Portlands, that are not Portland, Dorset, I would advise to give this place a wide berth. Something dark, dangerous, and best left alone still dwells there, in the tunnels under Castletown. If you are sceptical, check out the Tillycombe gene pool. Nor even half of the genes available there are human. But don't linger too long after dark, or Bunnies will get you.

Sounds like an interesting place to visit  :)

BadBeast

It is. I lived there for about five years, and it's a bit like Tuscon, in that once it gets it's hooks in you, it's hard to ever leave. Until the recent addition of a bridge to the mainland, the only way to get there (from land) was along an 18 mile long pebble bank. This I think, was  good defence against the darkness. It may be that some dark, Cthonic evil was released when the mines with which the Island is riddled, went a little too deep. Leaving the population a little bit "Royston Vasey". When I fled, in '89, I rescued the Mother of my Children from it's clutches, (before planting my seed in her womb) and on stormy nights, when the moon is full, on the high Spring Tides, I still hear it's dreadful moaning resonating through the sandstone bedrock that runs through Southern England.
Apart from that though, it's quite pleasant. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Nephew Twiddleton

Royston Vasey took me a second. Oh, you Olde Englanders and you Royston Vasey talk

BadBeast

Placid Dingo

At first I thought this was about tying together cities of Discordian interest. I'm a part time Brisbanite, and I'm pretty sure Dr Jon and some others are there, so that could be a cool idea.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Hanni

I'm in- I'll start looking for other Bostons.... after my driving lesson

Edited to Add:
Just realised that the link to wiki you sent me is a list- just didn't work the first time I clicked.  :oops:

Nephew Twiddleton

No worries :)

I might be a couple of days starting, and also to let other people chime in with suggestions (looking at you Cram).

We should also have some sort of measure of success too, like perhaps if someone signs up and posts here. Also, wondering what criteria we should have in weeding out candidates, and what the pitch would be.

Telarus

Anyone you rope in with this should get their own award or merit badge or knighthood or something ridiculous like that.

And a graphic they can stick in their sig.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on October 26, 2010, 02:19:20 AM
Anyone you rope in with this should get their own award or merit badge or knighthood or something ridiculous like that.

And a graphic they can stick in their sig.

That's not a bad idea

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 26, 2010, 02:03:02 AM
We should also have some sort of measure of success too, like perhaps if someone signs up and posts here. Also, wondering what criteria we should have in weeding out candidates, and what the pitch would be.

Yeah- persuading them to sign up will be the hard part most likely, people will agree to anything but to act on that's another kettle of fish.

Nephew Twiddleton

I must have missed your last post. It happens from time to time.

Maybe it all depends on the tack. Perhaps something to get them curious enough to want to check it out, but not have it look like spam.
The best thing I can think of at the moment is to mail them Pope Cards and some sort of one sheet with basic Discordian things that one can do. This of course makes the task a little harder, unless it's in electronic format.

I'm wondering if it might be easier if we set up a facebook group or something, and invite prospective other Bostonians to it/message them the link. That way its a passive sort of thing. We could also consider it a cabal of sorts and name it, and perhaps as prospective takers come in and show genuine interest, we could guide them here?

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok, I'm going to work on this sporadically throughout the week. I'm thinking that for now a facebook group is probably a good way to go about this, but will mull over other options in the interim. Hanni, if you're still down for this, would you like taking Boston Spa in West Yorkshire for your first target? I'm probably going to start with Boston, New York.

Nephew Twiddleton

List of Bostons. Feel free to cross off with each acquisition:

Canada
Boston, Ontario, in Norfolk County
Boston Township, Ontario
Boston Mills, Ontario
Boston Bar, British Columbia, a community and gold-bearing bar of the same name in the Fraser Canyon

Ireland
Boston, County Clare
Boston, County Laois, a townland in County Laois, Ireland

Philippines
Boston, Davao Oriental

South Africa
Boston, KwaZulu-Natal

South America
Boston, Suriname

United Kingdom
Boston, Lincolnshire, a town on the east coast of England
Boston Spa (also known as Thorp Spa), West Yorkshire, England

United States
Boston, Alabama, a former name of West Greene
Boston Mountains, in Arkansas and Oklahoma
Boston Ravine, California
Boston, Georgia
Boston, Indiana
Boston Township, Wayne County, Indiana
Boston, Kentucky
Boston, Louisville, a neighborhood in Louisville, Kentucky
Boston, Massachusetts
Boston Township, Michigan
Boston, Missouri
Boston, New York
Boston Township, Summit County, Ohio
Boston Mountains, in Arkansas and Oklahoma
Boston, Pennsylvania, part of Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Boston, Texas
South Boston, Virginia