Female Spider-Woman Cover: "I don't even" arguments edition

Started by The Johnny, September 15, 2014, 06:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

To be honest, I couldnt care less about comics, I bring this up rather for the amusement of the arguments that arose around the given issue... Its like Rhetorics 101 if you ask me!

The important points is how this person brings up important facts that debunk general opposition stance which is hypocritical and uninformed, but then proceeds to make some very strange argumentative square dancing which will leave nobody satisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB6TiRJNI-Q
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Ben Shapiro

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Ben Shapiro

Also Spiderman was exposing his bulge for years. No one bats a eye. Hello you can run a credit card through his butt cheeks.

Chelagoras The Boulder

i had been avoiding this story in the news, mainly because i honestly didn't see what the problem with it was. I feel like the video makes a few good points, yet towards the end the nerdrage shorts out his frontal lobe and he starts hammering his points like a caveman. Towards the end he charges right past the fact that sexualizing woman is OFTEN used to dehumanize women, by saying that anyone who notices that is warped and has an unhealthy attitude towards sex, and why don't you just come join us in the utopian post-gender society we're apparently living in.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

as for the image, I still dont see the issue. Spider woman is climbing up the side of a building like a spider. That's just kinda what that looks like, spiderman has been crawling around in that same pose for decades.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

tyrannosaurus vex

The Internet has decided that 2014 is the official year of blowhards at every extreme end of every obscure argument bellowing past each other in a fiery attempt to finally eradicate anyone standing between them in the center. The Genocide of Moderation. Of course, 2014 is no different from any other year in that regard, but I am now a creature of the Social Network, and I cannot remember that far back anymore.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

I would "like" Vex's comment, only PD.com does not give me full social media web 3.0 functionality  :cry:

Junkenstein

The female audience for comic books is 47%?

Really?

Really?

In vaugely related news, I seem to recall something about Marvel switching genders around on a few of their bigger names. So it's actually increasingly likely you'll see Thor and co waving their spandex arse at you soon. It's a kind of equality, I guess.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2014, 07:45:09 AM

Really?

Really?

In vaugely related news, I seem to recall something about Marvel switching genders around on a few of their bigger names. So it's actually increasingly likely you'll see Thor and co waving their spandex arse at you soon. It's a kind of equality, I guess.

Thor Girl is a real thing. There's a prophecy that Odin has hidden away from the Asgardians that a woman will usher in the New Asgard. Also Thor does something Anti-heroic that pisses off the hammer (moral spag), and the the hammer flys off to Thor Girl. Thor now will wields his old childhood axe.

minuspace

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 16, 2014, 07:52:57 AM
Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2014, 07:45:09 AM

Really?

Really?

Thor Girl is a real thing. There's a prophecy that Odin has hidden away from the Asgardians that a woman will usher in the New Asgard. Also Thor does something Anti-heroic that pisses off the hammer (moral spag), and the the hammer flys off to Thor Girl. Thor now will wields his old childhood axe.
I mean, that's why we performed Babylon working, to prepare the American audience. :lulz:

Faust

It was Milo Manera

His art is gorgeous, but I don't think he has ever done anything other than erotica, Looking at this and his Scarlett Witch cover, they are really good.

NWS:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=milo+manara&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch

If this was an independent comic it would have been celebrated.

Its just because of marvels history of sexualising female characters, while sex in male driven comics is all but absent to the point of absurdity.

Marvel should respond with some male variants like the Male swimsuit covers they did a few years back:

Or Get Boris back to draw more in the style of his bishop:

Omitting marriage from superhero comics is part of why they are entrenched in the same boring stories.
Ommiting sex, is worse.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2014, 08:59:06 AM

I laughed at this the first time I saw it but I think it's pretty mean. Todd McFarlane started the whole creeping spider pose things and the are just as physically impossible, Both it and the knees up

Both it and the V-Pose were introduced by him and they are associated with both Spider-woman and man

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Ben Shapiro

This is perfect example of Tumblr tards knit picking.
I also don't like the fact D/C making is making it's heroines more thick/curvy as a generic template. Something about Catwoman having giant tits/giant ass strikes me off. Since Catwoman was always portrayed as being slim/athletic so she can prowl/sneak around into vaults. I figured the slimmer she is the faster she would move/get away. But D/C panders to basement dwellers so fuck it let them fuck socks.

Marvel of the other hand is dropping down barriers introducing new characters, killing off others that aren't interesting anymore.