Main Menu

Difficult Choices 9: Sidekick

Started by Cramulus, July 20, 2007, 12:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

you get

a bard who follows you around and records your deeds in song
a little imp who sits on your shoulder and makes mischief
a talking horse who is super chill to hang out with
a whole pack of college frat goonfucks who are fairly incompetent and drunk all the time but completely subservient to you

Cramulus

frankly, I think all those choices are pretty sweet

faust

I want the third one but have the fourth one. :( fuck college.

Cramulus

faust

hrm. I would love to do an rpg with people from here and see what people think of the minimalist rule system we devised.

Cramulus

faust

I dunno, played complicated rule systems for years until I met these two strange polish guys, they had made some weird ass system that though low on stats and stuff, allowed almost complete game freedom within a grid or allow the person the challenge of playing as a character type they had not before should they ask for one.
It was almost completely narrative driven with actions and creativity within the confines of the game  and character grid being so seamless  it was a joy to play from start to finish.
gone were the days of waiting for the asshole in the party to finish in the shop for thirty five minutes or not be able to turn on a light because your perception was too low.

granted it was quite a strain on the gm to do, and no matter how much he prepared for each game he must also have been one of the best improviser gms I have ever seen.
And whats more, though it lacked constraint it did not turn into a annoying fucking pose fest or "my character does this cool action" marathon like larps generally tend to.
I would suggest trying it someday, at least once, just to see what its like.

Cramulus

Payne

First: I chose the bard, because I always wanted theme music AND someone to make me feel iportant.

Second: I'm loving your old gamer pics cram.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The game Discordia! is actually quite fun and I've run a little here and there. Savage Worlds is supposedly minimalist, but I find it about as bad as d20, except you have to deal with a pack of cards and a bunch of dice (minimalist?!).

Cthulhu Live 3 is a pretty minimal system for LARP, definitely easier than WoD (the chops or 1-10 system either one).

In the end though, I find that any system works well if you have a good group to play with.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

faust

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 01:42:00 AM
The game Discordia! is actually quite fun and I've run a little here and there. Savage Worlds is supposedly minimalist, but I find it about as bad as d20, except you have to deal with a pack of cards and a bunch of dice (minimalist?!).

Cthulhu Live 3 is a pretty minimal system for LARP, definitely easier than WoD (the chops or 1-10 system either one).

In the end though, I find that any system works well if you have a good group to play with.
thats not minimalist thats trying to simplify things and failing.
there should not be 4 pages of stats but there should be some form of grid.

Payne

Cramulus

Payne