News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

The World is a Verb (something approaching "scientific/mathematical" proof)

Started by Roaring Biscuit!, April 12, 2009, 11:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Cain on April 14, 2009, 12:13:23 PM
I just see no need to waste it on mystical pseudo-babble when I have better things to do, like writing or job application forms, or stabbing myself in the eye with a fork.

Funny you should say that.  I was talking to a friend last night and she suggested that I stab people in the eye with forks to cure my writers block.  This could be a win-win situation for us both?
People who want to believe will believe what they want.

Xooxe

Quote from: TSosBR! on April 14, 2009, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2009, 01:11:20 PM

You will never find a particle in both boxes.  You'll find it in one or the other.  Nature gets to decide which one.  You can't affect that.  All you do is put the boxes there and decide what to do with them.  You create the conditions for the results, but not everything is under your control. 

Unless you open them both at the same time, and see an interference pattern, showing that the "atom" or wave funciton came from both boxes...

The interference pattern suggests that the particle came from both boxes. The fact that the particle can only be found in one box suggests that the particle wasn't in both. Both of those suggestions together suggest that we're unable to understand it all properly by looking at it this way.

By the way, you're still confusing wave function to be the actual observed phenomena, although they are related. The wave function actually is in both the boxes at the same time in an abstract sense (in the same way that the number 5 follows me around if I have £5 in my pocket.) It absolutely must be in both boxes if there is a chance that it could be, because that's the way that the mathematics works.

leonard koan

Roaring Biscuit!

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: TSosBR! on April 23, 2009, 09:28:14 PM
did einstein actually say that?

:p

Well, he said it in German, so you've probably seen it by a different translation... but yes.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Roaring Biscuit!

"The only real valuable thing is intuition."

=albert einstein

bought the same thing...