News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

This is a hat:

This is a cap, albeit one that I might add the word flat, but not scally, to:

That's about the distinction I make between headwear. Other than hood.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Eater of Clowns

I don't think I like what Villager has on her mind to do with that glow stick.  :eek:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 17, 2014, 04:38:56 AM
I don't think I like what Villager has on her mind to do with that glow stick.  :eek:

Whatever it is, she's an early bird, and probably forgot it as soon as it was 12:15 am.

ETA: Thank God for that too.

Nephew Twiddleton

It is funny though, she is a total sweetheart, but she looks mischievous as fuck in every pic she takes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You guys are so cute!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

SCIENCEING:

My pretty street:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 17, 2014, 03:36:29 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 15, 2014, 02:46:32 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 13, 2014, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 13, 2014, 03:53:16 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 13, 2014, 03:37:01 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 13, 2014, 03:36:33 PM

This is the best I got right now, and it's not even my douchiest Trilby.

No.

No?

No.

I like it.  I should make it clear, that I am not anti-Trilby, I just like people to be clear about what they are discussing.

I am having a very difficult time grasping why it seems to be so important to so many people all of a sudden that everyone use the correct terminology for hats.

Because there is a lot of hate for fedoras lately, usually glommed onto the MRA, most of whom (from photos I've seen) are wearing trilbys, not fedoras.  Fedoras, outside of possibly Portland, are pretty rare these days... while trilbys seem to procreate at approximately the same rate as Starbucks do.  I find it personally aggravating that people are attempting to besmirch the reputation of the fedora by associating it with MRA and "nice guys", when they don't even mean the hat they are actually condemning.

Dick Tracy would not approve.  And neither do I.

It's a personal quibble that I don't expect you, or anyone else, to share.

Does that help?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: The Suu on January 17, 2014, 03:41:15 AM
The fedora/trilby issue has been around for a while. Though LMNO can pull it off, from what I can see in the picture, anyway. Typically, the brim of a fedora or fedora-like hat (trilby, porkpie, pince-nez) should be proportionate to the wearer's shoulders. The issue with a trilby is that they can often been seen as juvenile, and really only look good on guys with no shoulders. Basically, making them the ultimate hipster hat. *shrug*

I was under the impression that pince-nez were those armless spectacles which sat on the end of one's nose... please explain further?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

So, as comparison.

Trilby:

Fedora:

hooplala

I think the fedora is a fine looking hat.... And trilbys are ok. But I do understand how people could look at the two and just say "fuck it, they're the same."

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on November 13, 2013, 05:36:22 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 10, 2013, 10:32:38 PM
Alright, you bastages

(the one with the gloves)

Wow. Quite honestly, I never thought I would see this day.

late to the party, but i'd awkwardly hit on QG

hooplala

I choose to believe this is how QG dresses every single day.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Pope Pixie Pickle

Suu

Quote from: Hoopla on January 17, 2014, 01:42:00 PM
Quote from: The Suu on January 17, 2014, 03:41:15 AM
The fedora/trilby issue has been around for a while. Though LMNO can pull it off, from what I can see in the picture, anyway. Typically, the brim of a fedora or fedora-like hat (trilby, porkpie, pince-nez) should be proportionate to the wearer's shoulders. The issue with a trilby is that they can often been seen as juvenile, and really only look good on guys with no shoulders. Basically, making them the ultimate hipster hat. *shrug*

I was under the impression that pince-nez were those armless spectacles which sat on the end of one's nose... please explain further?

From what I understand, I do not have pictures, they were a type of short-brimmed fedora/bowler cross that was popular at the end of the 19th Century/beginning of 20th Century, or slang for it that would eventually mutate into the trilby come the 1940s. But you are correct about the spectacles as well. I think the term came about because it was being worn by the same time of people as the specs. I gotta find my hat book and I can scan for ya.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2014, 02:00:13 PM
So, as comparison.

Trilby:

Fedora:

I like the fedora better, you look more gangster and put together.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."