OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2015, 04:32:23 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 05, 2015, 03:19:51 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2015, 04:14:40 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 05, 2015, 03:50:05 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2015, 03:31:30 AM
Well, Halloween will be one year as an atheist.

Then I imagine I'll go back to deism, for personal preference reasons.

How has the atheism thing been for you? So far?

Very satisfying, really.  The world certainly looks different.  But also far more fragile.  You have this little tiny bubble of air in a gigantic fucking hostile universe that is very impersonally prepared to kill you.

So naturally, monkeys do their best to fuck the air up, because that's how we roll.

That's pretty much how I experience it, too. Except that I'm not technically an atheist. More of a universalist, I suppose.

The biggest downside of being an atheist is dealing with other atheists.

No joke.  They're every bit as pleasant to talk to as your average Holy Roller.

Oh, don't I know it!  :lulz: Fucking awful. Having been banned from most of Facebook's Atheist groups, I've moved on to challenging self-proclaimed Skeptics to actually think, and maybe read books, instead of parroting the opinions of their hero Michael Shermer. I've found that most Skeptics seem to be into Skepticism almost purely in order to have a basis for feeling superior to other people, which seems to be a strong motivational force for a lot of these "I identify as a thing" groups.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Well, yes.

It's been a problem for a while now. The biggest issue with Atheism is Atheists.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Junkenstein

OK, in fairness, the worst thing about anything is the followers of said thing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

MMIX

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 05, 2015, 06:05:45 PM
OK, in fairness, the worst thing about anything is the followers of said thing people

Fixed that for you
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

Deciding how petty I want to be.

Someone sprung a surprise inspection on my kitchen today.  Said kitchen is a mess, because I'm in the middle of essay fever, and because I do my writing in the kitchen (its the room with a lounge).  Thing is, I took some time out to check the exact rights I have here, and despite my contract stating that this is a licensed occupancy, the actual conditions mean I'm an assured shorthold tenant, and so they can't simply come barging in here.

Funny thing is, they've screwed themselves on the contract.  They want to claim I am a licensee, but service occupancy only occurs if I'm required to live in, as part of my job.  And I'm not.  So they can either choose to treat me as a licensee, but negate my rent (as its required for the job), or else they have to give the same rights any private tenant has.  I wont push that just yet, as the company is going to restructure the whole rent system over the summer...but I'll keep it in mind, if they try anything foolish.

Cainad (dec.)

Loving the Shameless Slander series. It's very lucky that Doktor Howl doesn't know that part of my family has historical involvement with a Communist cult (that exists to this day, I learned only a few years ago), lest more lies be spread.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on May 05, 2015, 07:58:02 PM
Loving the Shameless Slander series. It's very lucky that Doktor Howl doesn't know that part of my family has historical involvement with a Communist cult (that exists to this day, I learned only a few years ago), lest more lies be spread.

You don't get off THAT easily.
Molon Lube

Cain

Decided to be petty.  Pissy email sent, and the flat is now rigged so I'll know if anyone has been poking around while I'm not in.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Unfortunately saw the government "snitch on your students for doubleplus ungood thoughts policy" being emailed while writing my pissy email.

So I had to write a second email, telling my boss's boss that the information we'd been sent was not even useless - it was bad enough to be considered malicious misinformation.  Completely ignores research on radicalization, implicitly targets Muslims...it's a horrible policy, and yes, some parts of it are mandatory, but if we're going to have to do this, lets at least have in-house training and materials, so shite like this isn't passed around corporate office like mental herpes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on May 05, 2015, 09:08:41 PM
Unfortunately saw the government "snitch on your students for doubleplus ungood thoughts policy" being emailed while writing my pissy email.

So I had to write a second email, telling my boss's boss that the information we'd been sent was not even useless - it was bad enough to be considered malicious misinformation.  Completely ignores research on radicalization, implicitly targets Muslims...it's a horrible policy, and yes, some parts of it are mandatory, but if we're going to have to do this, lets at least have in-house training and materials, so shite like this isn't passed around corporate office like mental herpes.

Wow.  You guys are racing us.  And winning.
Molon Lube

Cain

We taught the Israelis who taught you guys everything they know.

I have research sitting right in front of me from a former CIA officer (who worked in Afghanistan during the 80s, no less) and psychiatrist who says foreign policy, unfair targeting and demonisation/valourisation are the main factors in radicalization.  So of course the official papers from the local educational authority mention ONLY Muslims, encourage teachers to snitch on them and to challenge their beliefs.  Oh, and brings up ISIS.

Yeah, great going.  :x

minuspace

Quote from: Xaz on May 05, 2015, 03:13:53 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on May 05, 2015, 03:07:52 PM

Quote from: LuciferX on May 05, 2015, 05:39:18 AM
Your insolence is being reported to Il Galateo.
Which Mexican warlord is he again?

He's the one commanding Generals Samuel Jackson and Raging Erection.

He's the one aggressively trying to push pistachio flavoured ice-cream onto the defenceless Mexican public.

:lulz: :lulz:

Eh, he is a, like e, the English, of e de Queen