News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Roger, I Can't Find The Nashville Bus Station

Started by Phox, July 10, 2012, 04:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

...but I guess this is close enough.

I kinda get the feeling these days that I'm just talking past people. I mean, I look them in the face but then they get all weird and their mouths turn in probosces and then I watch as their eyes fragment and go all compound, and I realize it's like watching The Fly transform in real time.  And then they start talking in cartoon swears, and you'd be surprised how "#$@%@!" is pronounced (well, not YOU, but most people).

And then I can see my words directionalize and shoot right past their ears and slap into the wall like a plate full of lutefisk. Reasoning with the wall seems like a more productive pastime. Why is it that this happens?

Nephew Twiddleton

:sits down next to phox breaking the law in nashville:

you know phox. Up until recently i didnt think i understood nashville as a bus station. Never been to nashville myself. Look around for a second. What do you see? Ah you see nashville. Like i said. I didnt understand nashville before.

Lets turn the corner though.

Looks weird but familiar right?

This is cork city bus station and we just missed the last bus to kinsale. Faust has gone to sleep and we never got his number anyway. Were stuck here friend. Surprised i can actually text you here even though were sitting next to each other. Cant even get reception on my laptop right now.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

And surprisingly posting that brought my internet back.

Also, Cork City bus station sucks. I fucking hate it. Worst bus ride you can take is between Cork City and Limerick City in either direction.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Phox, Mistress of Many Names on July 10, 2012, 04:34:01 AM
...but I guess this is close enough.

I kinda get the feeling these days that I'm just talking past people. I mean, I look them in the face but then they get all weird and their mouths turn in probosces and then I watch as their eyes fragment and go all compound, and I realize it's like watching The Fly transform in real time.  And then they start talking in cartoon swears, and you'd be surprised how "#$@%@!" is pronounced (well, not YOU, but most people).

And then I can see my words directionalize and shoot right past their ears and slap into the wall like a plate full of lutefisk. Reasoning with the wall seems like a more productive pastime. Why is it that this happens?

You can't FIND it, because apparenly you're IN it.  It isn't a physical location...Which is why hardly anybody who isn't already there can find it.  Even in Nashville.  ESPECIALLY in Nashville.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Funny thing about physically seeing words is that they look exactly like you expect. Some a bright and fluffy, and others are kind of painful to look at. It's an oddity though, that some words you expect to be one way turn out another. The best example of this is "love". Sure, you'd expect it to be the brightest, fluffiest of all, but it's sharp and hard, darkly colored, and makes a loud thud when it hits the wall. I've been thinking about it, and I've come up with the reason why.

It's not sincere. It's a word that's been cheapened for years and years. Thrown around like a swear, and that's more or less what it's become. It's funny, isn't it? That a word can be changed so much by misuse. But it's something you see all the time, if you know where to look. The news, politics, pop culture. I wonder, can you think of any words that don't look like you think they should? Spit them at that wall, and see.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Phox, Mistress of Many Names on July 10, 2012, 10:08:13 PM
Funny thing about physically seeing words is that they look exactly like you expect. Some a bright and fluffy, and others are kind of painful to look at. It's an oddity though, that some words you expect to be one way turn out another. The best example of this is "love". Sure, you'd expect it to be the brightest, fluffiest of all, but it's sharp and hard, darkly colored, and makes a loud thud when it hits the wall. I've been thinking about it, and I've come up with the reason why.

It's not sincere. It's a word that's been cheapened for years and years. Thrown around like a swear, and that's more or less what it's become. It's funny, isn't it? That a word can be changed so much by misuse. But it's something you see all the time, if you know where to look. The news, politics, pop culture. I wonder, can you think of any words that don't look like you think they should? Spit them at that wall, and see.

"Love" gets tossed around almost as much as "fuck" and "shit". Maybe if we say "lovefuckshit" over and over until it loses all meaning, the bus wiil come and we can get out of here.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 11, 2012, 01:07:46 AM

"Love" gets tossed around almost as much as "fuck" and "shit". Maybe if we say "lovefuckshit" over and over until it loses all meaning, the bus wiil come and we can get out of here.

There are worse words to use too often than "love". 

"Flense", for example.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Phox

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 11, 2012, 01:09:38 AM

"Flense", for example.
Certainly, there are, Roger, I was merely commenting on how it is surprisingly different when you look at the word than what you would expect.

And still, we sit here and wait. But you know, I'm not sure there's much more to say. I mean, if I said "$#%^#!" or perhaps "&@^&#@&!" I might be able to communicate something to someone, somewhere. But as it is all I'm doing spitting against that wall. And then, when I think we're finally getting somewhere, and the noises coming out of the insect-like mouths seem like genuine, human words, it's right back to "#$%^#@". Giving up is an option, I guess. I suppose you don't really need people anyway. We could all do our own thing, or continue to spit at the wall, and I gotta say, my mouth is getting dry, and that damn vending machine keeps eating my money. The receptionist who sells coffee is still on break, and it's not polite to break things. Sanity's going, and let's get on with it.

LMNO

I feel as if I am living on a vast Chuck E Cheeze anamatronic stage, where machines clad in leathery flesh clack their steel and plastic mandibles together in some horrible mockery of comminucation.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Phox, Mistress of Many Names on July 11, 2012, 07:55:43 PM

"Flense", for example.
Certainly, there are, Roger, I was merely commenting on how it is surprisingly different when you look at the word than what you would expect.

And still, we sit here and wait. But you know, I'm not sure there's much more to say. I mean, if I said "$#%^#!" or perhaps "&@^&#@&!" I might be able to communicate something to someone, somewhere. But as it is all I'm doing spitting against that wall. And then, when I think we're finally getting somewhere, and the noises coming out of the insect-like mouths seem like genuine, human words, it's right back to "#$%^#@". Giving up is an option, I guess. I suppose you don't really need people anyway. We could all do our own thing, or continue to spit at the wall, and I gotta say, my mouth is getting dry, and that damn vending machine keeps eating my money. The receptionist who sells coffee is still on break, and it's not polite to break things. Sanity's going, and let's get on with it.

As I've said before, the problem with the bus station isn't isolation; the place is crawling with people.  The problem is lack of communication.  Lots of otherwise intelligent people that say nothing...Or worse, they all holler, but nobody listens.  That's why the Nashville Bus Station is everywhere, including PD. 

It's either a fear of participation, or laziness.  Neither is an acceptable attitude for humans in these weird times that crept up on us while we fought amongst ourselves.  Remember the Lakota?  Neither do I.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 11, 2012, 07:59:50 PM
I feel as if I am living on a vast Chuck E Cheeze anamatronic stage, where machines clad in leathery flesh clack their steel and plastic mandibles together in some horrible mockery of comminucation.

THAT would be tolerable, because those are supposed to be machines.  What is going on in the world, and what is showing up here, is our old pal Memetic False Consciousness.  Thinking is too hard, let the filters do the work.

So you get to hear the same pre-packaged, shrink-wrapped opinions and comments from EVERYONE.  The monoculture isn't just McDonalds and WalMart and Starbucks...It's your opinion on politics, Jim's opinion on sports, and Joe's opinion on whatever Ain't It Awful that's plastered across your teevee screen.  It's the music you listen to, the leaders you laugh at, the pink slime you suck up in whatever shit hole you decided to catch lunch in.  It's the local bar, no different than TGIFridays except they don't make the employees sing (I hope).

This is the price of laziness and fear.  Lap it up, humans, you paid for it.

LMNO

Sometimes I feel like those people breathing are supposed to be machines, too.  I mean, they swapped their brains for punch cards anyway, right?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 11, 2012, 08:13:23 PM
Sometimes I feel like those people breathing are supposed to be machines, too.  I mean, they swapped their brains for punch cards anyway, right?

Speaking as a dead guy, I'm against that sort of thing.

And no, but they WOULD swap their brains for a punch card, if they were ever given the chance.  Why value something you have no use for?

Jonathan Hickman wrote a great graphic novel called Transhuman.  In one part, people are lining up to have their hands cut off and replaced with bionic hands, because you could get iPods and shit installed in them.  I have precisely zero doubt that if that technology were made available today, people would be crushed by the crowds clamoring to have a perfectly good limb chopped off so they could have an "upgradable" hand.

The Good Reverend Roger

Here's the thing you should listen to, if you never listen to another thing I say:  We're supposed to be BETTER than that.  Not because we are inherently superior, but because we KNOW better, we have seen the awful shape that humanity has taken and we know that all it takes to maintain our status as bipeds is to MAKE THE EFFORT.

We're not unique in the ability to do so...We ARE unique in our supposed commitment to do so.

And that's the ass-kicker right there, isn't it?  Where has the commitment to be a mutant gone?  Where has the drive to remain as an individual gone?  SINCE WHEN DO WE, AS DISCORDIANS, BUY INTO THEIR GAME?

Does that imply the "Other"?  You're damn right it does.  There are two kinds of people in the world, and WE AREN'T EITHER KIND.

So wake the fuck up.

:cluephone:

Phone's ringing.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 11, 2012, 08:03:32 PM
Quote from: Phox, Mistress of Many Names on July 11, 2012, 07:55:43 PM

"Flense", for example.

As I've said before, the problem with the bus station isn't isolation; the place is crawling with people.  The problem is lack of communication.  Lots of otherwise intelligent people that say nothing...Or worse, they all holler, but nobody listens.  That's why the Nashville Bus Station is everywhere, including PD. 

It's either a fear of participation, or laziness.  Neither is an acceptable attitude for humans in these weird times that crept up on us while we fought amongst ourselves.  Remember the Lakota?  Neither do I.

They're still out there, somewhere under those four massive white gloating faces.
I almost got hauled off to jail last night because I was walking past a bakery and didn't know the alarm had gone off a little earlier.
Like I'm going to go out in clogs and break the top of the window and slide my belly over broken glass to steal empanadas while the guy's in there baking.
We'll be seeing the Lakota soon. The only bus out of Nashville these days is the one to Pine Ridge.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division