News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Are we more depressed because we're getting smarter?

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, December 17, 2013, 05:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

zackli, I don't know what exactly your experience with mental illness was, but telling other people that your experience trumps theirs is not a way to make friends.

zackli

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 24, 2014, 10:08:19 PM
zackli, I don't know what exactly your experience with mental illness was, but telling other people that your experience trumps theirs is not a way to make friends.

Stupid Poe's law... You sound JUST like one of them, and I'm not even TRYING to rationalize you away; it's just a convenient side effect. Them, obviously, being one of the people who is a mental health worker condescending to one of his or her "patients". Your attempt at invalidating my perspective is not going to work, simply because I recognize it as such.

If I cared about making friends, I would probably be out making friends and not philosophizing about human nature.

PS: If you actually read my "experience with mental illness", I am actually downplaying my own opinion as a "mere" rationalization as well. The fact that I am asserting it as something more than a rationalization is illusory, because EVERYTHING is a rationalization. It's a way for the individual to make sense of his or her world, which does not necessarily include other people's perceptions of the world. This is how that phrase came about. It discounts the other person's reasoning and makes the one speaking feel superior, much like you saying that I'm not making any friends by saying my "experience with mental illness" was superior to everyone else's.
It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

Q. G. Pennyworth

zackli

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 25, 2014, 01:16:16 AM
I hate you and everywhere you've ever been.

I would quote myself, but I'm not going to do that simply because you have the power to re-read what I wrote.
It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

zackli

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 23, 2014, 11:21:13 AM

QuoteBasically, it will result in people not wanting to get better, and in turn not getting better because they find those mental health support forums a welcome community for them to participate in only as long as they have their mental illnesses.

What? Are you serious here? Are you seriously implying that mental health support forums actively make people regress when they're improving because the need to remain part of a community at the obvious cost of their mental health?

I'm not saying this doesn't occur, but I think you'd be more accurate if you were talking about forums that involved pretty much anything else. Games. Films. Clothing. Wicca. I can see this occurring in all these places but this surely must be frowned upon at the least in any semi-respectable forum devoted to mental health.

I know you said you aren't denying the possibility that communities do that, but I saw this and thought of you <3 (don't hit me too hard, we just met a couple days ago):

Quote"Tbh I have social anxiety and go on forums where there are hundreds of girls and guys like you. It's really motivational to connect with people who relate with you 100%. You feel less alone... Like for me obviously, I'm a[ ]part of a social anxiety community and have made sooo many friends. I feel like I have some where I belong for once and have even met someone who I really care about... But like I was saying, you should join a support site. If you don't have anything you feel is "wrong" with you, maybe join a site where you can vent about relationships and get advice for them...."

She's a teenager now, but where is she going to be in five years? It's hilariously ironic because it's a forum for social anxiety that she's going to become a social butterfly on, while in real life... Not so much. She has social anxiety, remember? Something to brighten your day.

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140724200851AAxJlfP

EDIT: UGH, I forgot a set of quotes. That probably confused things.

Junkenstein

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Yahoo answers is full of shit and dumb? That's like me showing you a link to 4chan and saying there's some examples of trolling there.

I'll get round to the rest later.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

minuspace

This thread is like when therapy becomes about therapy.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

zackli

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 25, 2014, 07:11:31 AM
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Yahoo answers is full of shit and dumb? That's like me showing you a link to 4chan and saying there's some examples of trolling there.

Your cynicism is impressive, but misplaced in this particular case. It used to be that I, too, thought people were just saying it. I'm not saying yahoo answers users AREN'T dumb, because they have quite a population of atheist regulars there to troll up-err answer the  heart-wrenching questions thought up by the good ol' Christians. Don't they know the only real way to troll is in real life, where you're called an extremist or in some cases a terrorist rather than a troll?

I'm not going to try convince you, because cynicism is really a b**** (birch) to argue with and I don't feel like scouring the internet to prove points you won't believe anyway. Have a fantastic day.

zackli

Quote from: LuciferX on July 25, 2014, 07:18:37 AM
This thread is like when therapy becomes about therapy.

More like when two opposing arguments meet and then one of them proceeds to attempt to destroy the other without letting the other side argue back. Sometimes, I like to imagine I'm arguing with a psychologist but then pull out a gun and shoot him and win. What does psychology have to say about that?

Also, this one time at band camp, I stuck a flute up my urethra.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but your assumptions and sense of superiority will never hurt me.

Am I crazy yet? Do I get my straitjacket or do I need to make it clear I mean to harm someone? One time I almost threw a paper airplane at someone driving a city bus. If that hit him in the eye and I tackled him, we never would have made it off of that bus alive. How's THAT for dangerous? *smirks*

Junkenstein

Quote from: zackli on July 25, 2014, 08:38:03 AM

Your cynicism is impressive, but misplaced in this particular case. It used to be that I, too, thought people were just saying it. I'm not saying yahoo answers users AREN'T dumb, because they have quite a population of atheist regulars there to troll up-err answer the  heart-wrenching questions thought up by the good ol' Christians. Don't they know the only real way to troll is in real life, where you're called an extremist or in some cases a terrorist rather than a troll?

I'm not going to try convince you, because cynicism is really a b**** (birch) to argue with and I don't feel like scouring the internet to prove points you won't believe anyway. Have a fantastic day.

You post shitty links and this is now somehow my fault?

Yeah, my cynicism is totally misplaced. Perhaps if you did bother looking for something that actually substantiate your points I'd bother a little more.

Consider:

QuoteYour attempt at invalidating my perspective is not going to work, simply because I recognize it as such.

This has an inherent assumption that all perspectives are equally valid and valued. This is not the case for me. Some perspectives, such as racism or such I find no logic or value in. I see no particular reason why I should either.

Claiming "your perspective" is somehow valid, just because it involves you, does not seem rational to me. If anything, it sounds quite childish and self centred.

QG, feel free to request this crap gets split out.

zackli

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 25, 2014, 09:57:04 AM
Quote from: zackli on July 25, 2014, 08:38:03 AM

You post shitty links and this is now somehow my fault?

Yeah, my cynicism is totally misplaced. Perhaps if you did bother looking for something that actually substantiate your points I'd bother a little more.

Consider:

QuoteYour attempt at invalidating my perspective is not going to work, simply because I recognize it as such.

This has an inherent assumption that all perspectives are equally valid and valued. This is not the case for me. Some perspectives, such as racism or such I find no logic or value in. I see no particular reason why I should either.

Claiming "your perspective" is somehow valid, just because it involves you, does not seem rational to me. If anything, it sounds quite childish and self centred.

QG, feel free to request this crap gets split out.

If by "equally valued and valid" you mean "valueless and irrelevant", then yes, you would be correct. And here I thought I would find people who spoke my kind of language, considering it proclaims to be about bringing people together with a philosophy that considers all things true, false, meaningless and meaningful at the same time.

Junkenstein

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: zackli on July 25, 2014, 10:04:19 PMIf by "equally valued and valid" you mean "valueless and irrelevant", then yes, you would be correct. And here I thought I would find people who spoke my kind of language, considering it proclaims to be about bringing people together with a philosophy that considers all things true, false, meaningless and meaningful at the same time.

Uh oh, guys, we're doing Discordia wrong.

Raz Tech

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 26, 2014, 03:22:23 AM
Quote from: zackli on July 25, 2014, 10:04:19 PMIf by "equally valued and valid" you mean "valueless and irrelevant", then yes, you would be correct. And here I thought I would find people who spoke my kind of language, considering it proclaims to be about bringing people together with a philosophy that considers all things true, false, meaningless and meaningful at the same time.

Uh oh, guys, we're doing Discordia wrong.

Well duh, there is only one way to do Discordia, certainly no different perspectives could cone to light since the principia isn't vague in its ideology at all.