News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on August 07, 2016, 04:14:41 PM
Well, MMOs are a slightly different beast in my opinion.

Skyrim does have a similar question, No Stone Unturned.  It's made somewhat cheaper by the ability to fast travel from the map, but otherwise it's somewhat similar.  Throw in some other mods, like say Frostfall (to make travel harder) and Requiem (to make everything else harder) and it's actually something of an achievement. 

If you want a full list of differences between at least the last three games, look here, it should give you a rough idea.  IMO Skyrim was way too rushed to be considered a complete game anyway (civil war...unfinished, at least two faction questlines plots so flimsy as to not even be worth it, so many bugs...) but they did show they were following up on at least some of the problems highlighted in Oblivion (levelled loot and enemy lists).

Well, Morrowind was on sale over the weekend so I installed it with a full graphic overhaul suite.

You complete bastard.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph
Turns out it's a moot point now. I was a bit misinformed about the timing of a move out to California with a friend. I had thought I'd have a month or two, but I guess he was shooting for about a week from now if poss, two max, and won't have time or facilities for gaming for months probably. Gonna be living rough at first in the redwood forest of NW Cali, the so called Emerald Triangle. I'm about as excited as I can get these days. It's my first time living outside of Wisconsin and I'm looking forward to some serious changes and new opportunities.

That sounds awesome, TWJ. Good luck and keep us posted  :)
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

Enjoy California, Wizard Joseph.

EoC, did you install MGSO?  As I'm using OpenMW, I've not installed any as I want a complete vanilla playthrough before I start modding, but because the engine is better optimised, some of the textures and meshes display better.  Also MGSO doesn't work with OpenMW, so I'd need to do some research into textures that are compatible and that I like.

TBH I'm more interested in installing Tamriel Rebuilt once I'm done, and Skyrim: Home of the Nords once it's updated.  But I have to complete Tribunal and Bloodmoon first...

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on August 09, 2016, 03:22:40 AM

EoC, did you install MGSO?  As I'm using OpenMW, I've not installed any as I want a complete vanilla playthrough before I start modding, but because the engine is better optimised, some of the textures and meshes display better.  Also MGSO doesn't work with OpenMW, so I'd need to do some research into textures that are compatible and that I like.

TBH I'm more interested in installing Tamriel Rebuilt once I'm done, and Skyrim: Home of the Nords once it's updated.  But I have to complete Tribunal and Bloodmoon first...

Yeah, I played about 10 minutes vanilla and decided I couldn't get past the graphics. I went with MGSO because I've never modded and it seemed like a pretty foolproof method. I just don't want to end up tinkering. I went with a pretty middle of the road setup, but everything is markedly better than before. It's now what I remember Morrowind being like. Memory is funny.

Things I miss:
constant sense of danger
overwhelming scale
general Morrowind weirdness

Things I didn't miss:
glitching into trees
follower one shot killing me with an AoE spell while I meleed a rat
god damn motherfucking cliff racers
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 09, 2016, 03:06:19 PM

Yeah, I played about 10 minutes vanilla and decided I couldn't get past the graphics. I went with MGSO because I've never modded and it seemed like a pretty foolproof method. I just don't want to end up tinkering. I went with a pretty middle of the road setup, but everything is markedly better than before. It's now what I remember Morrowind being like. Memory is funny.

Things I miss:
constant sense of danger
overwhelming scale

Things I didn't miss:
glitching into trees

:argh!: :argh!: I almost forgot about those assholes. Minding my own business, skies are clear, all of a sudden, three out of nowhere attacking the shit out of me.

Cliff racers aside, it's been forever since I've played Morrowwind - someday I'll have to get back to it...
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Salty

Never been to a professional convention before. 1st observation: it shares many similarities with a big, Southern Baptist church. The feel of the place, the clapping after someone is done talking, the type of rooms are around and the level of chatter. The biggest difference is, these people aren't wearing suits, mostly jeans, t-shirt, and a backpack. It's weird.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Da6s

Quote from: Vivat Alty on August 09, 2016, 06:34:43 PM
Never been to a professional convention before. 1st observation: it shares many similarities with a big, Southern Baptist church. The feel of the place, the clapping after someone is done talking, the type of rooms are around and the level of chatter. The biggest difference is, these people aren't wearing suits, mostly jeans, t-shirt, and a backpack. It's weird.

No singing, I hope. No laying on hands or shouting in tongues, either.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Salty

Quote from: Da6s on August 09, 2016, 07:44:11 PM

Not yet. I could add the in. Perhaps this classic https://youtu.be/UhXcLJFpQ6A

Salty

Well, this thing is a bust. These brogrammers aren't coming near me. Say LA vee.

Da6s

Quote from: Vivat Alty on August 09, 2016, 07:56:09 PM
Quote from: Da6s on August 09, 2016, 07:44:11 PM

Not yet. I could add the in. Perhaps this classic https://youtu.be/UhXcLJFpQ6A

I still prefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxhxKdnjGA8
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Cain

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 09, 2016, 03:06:19 PM

Things I miss:
constant sense of danger
overwhelming scale

Things I didn't miss:
glitching into trees

Seyda Neen is a pretty bad place to start, graphically.  It's a swamp, so it should look kinda shitty, but it certainly doesn't help.

I found once I was wandering the Ascadian Isles and West Gash though, things looked pretty good.

Incidentally, there's a mod that gives cliffracers a percentage chance to respawn into two cliffracers on death.

Also, now I'm level 48 and have a bunch of custom-made constant effect items which render me more or less invulnerable and able to go anywhere (ring of levitation, ring of invisibility, ring of waterbreathing, ring of swift swim, ring of +2 restore health, ring of summon a bunch of daedra on someone's face, rings with stacking chameleon effects for super cheese, jogging pants to restore stamina). Also a bunch of potions which do things like restore 112 health for 2094 seconds, and reflect magic 50% for 1050 seconds and so on.  So the feeling of danger is mostly low.

But I've yet to face the boss of all bosses that is Gaenor.  Or that lich in Mournhold.  Or werewolves.

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl