News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Street Observations from the punishment chamber

Started by Da6s, July 14, 2013, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That is a hell of a view! It gave me a momentary pang of nostalgia for Spokane, which is insane.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Da6s

Quote from: Balls Wellington on July 20, 2013, 07:26:18 PM
Nice pics! I always dig it when you post this stuff - reminds me of when I was younger and even more highly irresponsible.

Highly irresponsible and resort town living seem to go hand in hand. I should've died or been paralyzed by a bastard tree at Beaver Creek last year for being careless, but somehow I walked away from that shitshow crash without even breaking my helmet. Had some pretty nasty scrapes from the impact on the side of my goggles. Needless to say, every time I did that run afterward I swung to the absolute opposite side of the slope.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 20, 2013, 08:14:14 PM
That is a hell of a view! It gave me a momentary pang of nostalgia for Spokane, which is insane.

It is. I won the Craigslist lottery when I found this apt. 675 a month, everything included except electricity (heat's building wide and included which is the big thing up here). Electric bill is barely 18 a month typically per person.  2 bed 2 bath on fucking main street. Needless to say since I'm staying up here for another year for the full time job I'm renewing that lease. The building with all the cars in the parking lot in that view pic is the Gondola for Breck, literally 4 minutes walking time for me.

Always heard great things about Spokane. My roommate graduated from Oregon in Eugene and one of his friends who was born in and lives in Spokane is currently hungover on our couch for the week. Kid doesn't understand drinking at elevation.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

In the octagon for the 2nd day in a row. Let's see what Breck kindly throws in my face today.

Ditzy valley girl accent tourist just walked by and commented on the hideous pink buildings behind me: "Are all these places vacant? How is that even possible?". Here's the answer I really didn't care enough to yell to her - Some niche local businesses up here do not make enough money to warrant staying open in the summer time. These include but are not limited to gear rental companies who don't do bikes in the summer, chain outerwear stores for whom it is pointless to keep more than one location open in town in the summer, shitty art galleries who can't pay their bills overcharging for their art (we're talking 2k+ pricing on paintings that look like someone did following along to a bob ross episode), or shops that feature the exact same tourist crap as a dozen others in town and didn't have enough in reserves to stay in business. All of these examples are behind me. Or were, rather.

Tourist family panting just ran by trying to flag down an in town resort mini-bus. As they were flailing their arms and said shuttle bus drove through the redlight leaving them stranded and looking foolish, the 50 something overweight lady in teh back of the group panting exclaimed " *whimper* UGH! This is a long walk!". Wish I had gotten a pic or a vid of that, but I was kind of entranced watching them. Moments like those were the ones I always wanted to record in Shangri but always got too fucking busy to do so.

And I totally just got caught by a mom while staring at her daughters amazing yoga pant wearing ass. Insert hit it like the fist of an angry god.jpg here. Her look of condescension made me chuckle while making eye contact. That needs to happen more often.

Mountain culture/resort town/bro-brah culture has been sleeping with dub step music for far too long. Even before it was really common elsewhere dubstep was the go-to music for any and all snowboard videos produced. It's been that way since before I fled TN, easily 6+ years now. It needs to go away. Total bro-brah just drove by in his black SUV with his shitty sounding speakers blasting dubstep. Because fuck your mountain tranquility.

And my stint here is done for the day. Until next weekend.

-Or Kill Me
Actually, don't, it's quite nice here.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The dubstep thing is also true of skateboard videos, I'm like, c'mon guys. Really?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Da6s

Boring ass day here today. Or may it's just because there's too many damn little shits running around town today and I'm ignoring a lot of potential worthy mentions.

McGrupp

This sounds like a special circle of customer service hell. Do you at least get to go on some of the rafting/zipline trips?

Cramulus

Great thread, dags. Love the pictures.

I liked the bit about how people just say the phrase "rasta pasta" out loud when they see the place. Funny that you're in the most likely spot to overhear that. I challenge you to modify the area around the octagon somehow. Maybe put up a subtle sticker with a phrase on it. See if you can overhear people talking about it. If they're in that tourist moment where they're just saying things they see, I bet you can hack into their conversations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on July 23, 2013, 05:24:16 PM

I liked the bit about how people just say the phrase "rasta pasta" out loud when they see the place. Funny that you're in the most likely spot to overhear that. I challenge you to modify the area around the octagon somehow. Maybe put up a subtle sticker with a phrase on it. See if you can overhear people talking about it. If they're in that tourist moment where they're just saying things they see, I bet you can hack into their conversations.

This is a great idea. See if you can get them to say "Disco Tacos"!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wish I had mad web programming skillz, I would love to make a fake Disco Taco website just to see how many people would visit it.

Da6s

Quote from: Cramulus on July 23, 2013, 05:24:16 PM

I've been around this site for 5ish years now. Still not dags, he was here and gone long before my time.

I've got three more weekends potentially in that box. Currently scheming something I could print off that would be effective. I think part of why rasta and lost get mentioned often is they have the range/long field of vision. I don't think something in my windows would have that same impact.

I may just try Nigel's Disco Tacos though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It would be worth it just for ULTIMATE POWAAAAAAHHHHH!

Da6s

Back in the chamber. Just saw a hilarious sight of an angsty teen on a tandem bike with his dad. So much angst. It was beautiful.

And obnoxious bitchy lady #1 has already incurred my angst. She felt the need to yell and proclaim how funny her thought was TO THE ENTIRE FUCKING STREET. She was literally 45 feet from me and I still couldn't hear the person on my call giving me their CC info. She should be tazed.

I say this every time i'm in here but i fucking LOVE this yoga pants trend. I said god damn. GOD DAMN.

And we have a monkey in the zoo moment. Never you fucking mind lady that both of my doors are open. You're going to press your face up to the 2 tiny ass windows in between the doors to peer and see what's inside! Fucking tourists.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Da6s on August 03, 2013, 04:53:11 PM
Back in the chamber. Just saw a hilarious sight of an angsty teen on a tandem bike with his dad. So much angst. It was beautiful.

:lulz: I can picture this.

Da6s

I've got a ton of sticky notes, black electrical tape, countless brochures, some napkins, some lost cajun food punch cards, company stickers, 2 yellow note pads, a dvd case, an empty water bottle, 3 pens, and speakers.

Give me brain hack ideas. Currently thinking something spelled out with the sticky notes or electrical tape.

Deciding against disco tacos...too close to disco biscuits and i'm not enough of a trustafarian to dig them. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Da6s on August 03, 2013, 05:13:44 PM
I've got a ton of sticky notes, black electrical tape, countless brochures, some napkins, some lost cajun food punch cards, company stickers, 2 yellow note pads, a dvd case, an empty water bottle, 3 pens, and speakers.

Give me brain hack ideas. Currently thinking something spelled out with the sticky notes or electrical tape.

Deciding against disco tacos...too close to disco biscuits and i'm not enough of a trustafarian to dig them.

WTF are disco biscuits?