News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Monotheism and Minds: Why Monotheism Is Untenable

Started by QueenThera, December 14, 2014, 01:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 15, 2014, 02:53:06 PM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 15, 2014, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 14, 2014, 01:08:10 AM
And a Mind speaking by itself does not make any logical sense. Polytheism would have to result, which can be seen in the concept of Elohim, the plural form of God, in Genesis. Talking to yourself makes more sense when you're purely Mind, and able to split up without it being seen as socially transgressive. Hell, it leads to CREATING society.

The specific example given was Abrahamic.

Yes. It was an example. It seems to have been a bit of a blinding one, too.

Well, the premise also assumes that God spoke the universe into existence. I'm not exactly sure how Aten was supposed to have done it
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 15, 2014, 02:54:18 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2014, 02:45:49 PM
Oh hell yes, that's the point of spitballing.

I just know that when I toss that phrase around, I am usually warning people that what I'm about to say hasn't been completely thought out in advance.

Carry on!

So does that mean you DON'T want people to pick apart your half-thought-through ideas and tell you what's wrong with them?

What's the benefit in even posting them, if that's the case? :?

Absolutely not, but the OP is a bit of noob and had been recently trashed in at least one other thread over something fairly insignificant. I just wanted to point out that this wasn't being presented as a fully thought out thesis.

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 15, 2014, 03:03:34 PM
And a Mind speaking by itself does not make any logical sense. Polytheism would have to result, which can be seen in the concept of Elohim, the plural form of God, in Genesis. Talking to yourself makes more sense when you're purely Mind, and able to split up without it being seen as socially transgressive. Hell, it leads to CREATING society.

Well, the premise also assumes that God spoke the universe into existence. I'm not exactly sure how Aten was supposed to have done it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hymn_to_the_Aten

Apparently, he turned it off and on again. 
Molon Lube

LMNO

So, let's go over some of the points, then.

QuoteWe have not observed minds being mindful in isolation
Is this true?  Have there been experiments where subjects were put in isolation tanks, and subsequently stopped being Mindful?*

*Also, what constitutes "being mindful"?

QuoteA mind thinks in language and behaves via reason
Nigel has already pointed out the first half of this is a dubious proposition, and I'll suggest that the second half is also suspect; rationality is HARD, and rarely does it manage behavior.

QuoteBut what use is language in isolation? Language NEEDS someone to listen, as well as someone to speak.
This, I feel, has some weight behind it.  I can't easily think of an example where language is used for something other than communication.  Even if taking notes for personal use later on is a form of communication for one's self.  Could a language naturally develop in isolation without the purpose of communication?

QuoteTherefore, God speaking creation into existence cannot be tenable. For whatever else you define God as, apart from the paradoxes of omnipotence and omniscience, God is Mind preceding Matter. SINGLE Mind.
I believe others have spoken to this point.  However, since we're essentially creating the characteristics of an unknowable and untestable entity, we may have some leeway.  Perhaps, instead of "for whatever else.." we replace it with "if we definie God as..." That way, you're setting up the boundaries of the proposition. 

Although, then we would need to have an example of a theology that does posit a single creator that was an isolated Mind before Matter.  Otherwise, you'll need to come up with a complete cosmology that ultimately doesn't bear much resemblance to commonly held religious beliefs.

QuoteAnd a Mind speaking by itself does not make any logical sense.
This seems to hold water, as suggested by the above quote regarding language.

QuotePolytheism would have to result, which can be seen in the concept of Elohim, the plural form of God, in Genesis.
I see, so the reference to YHWH was an example against an isolated creator Mind.

QuoteTalking to yourself makes more sense when you're purely Mind, and able to split up without it being seen as socially transgressive. Hell, it leads to CREATING society.
I think this needs to be fleshed out more.  I'm not sure I'm fully grasping what you're getting at, here.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2014, 03:08:25 PM

I just know that when I toss that phrase around, I am usually warning people that what I'm about to say hasn't been completely thought out in advance.

Carry on!

So does that mean you DON'T want people to pick apart your half-thought-through ideas and tell you what's wrong with them?

Absolutely not, but the OP is a bit of noob and had been recently trashed in at least one other thread over something fairly insignificant. I just wanted to point out that this wasn't being presented as a fully thought out thesis.

This is why we issue hard hats at the door.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 15, 2014, 03:11:00 PM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 15, 2014, 03:03:34 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hymn_to_the_Aten

Apparently, he turned it off and on again.

:lol:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 15, 2014, 03:11:28 PM

Carry on!

All I got was a beanie with a propeller.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2014, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 15, 2014, 03:11:28 PM

Carry on!

All I got was a beanie with a propeller.

That was back in the day, before regulation.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Carry on!

Is this one an actual noob? Or is it one of the "I used to post here and then I left and then I came back" folks?

I can't keep them straight, and apparently I'm only allowed to talk to some of them like adult human beings.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2014, 01:56:11 PM
I understood the OP as saying language only works when it is a medium to carry information from Mind A to Mind B, and so the idea that "God" would be able to think by itself, in the way we conceive, let alone communicate, isn't tenable... and being able to speak the world into existence is even less likely. 

Perhaps I misunderst as well.

But LMNO is right. The Torah never claims JHVH is the only god.

Good points. Oh, and Mind A and Mind B do not have to be in the same space-time frame... I.E. Language can be used to "time-bind" (in the RAW-Leary sense) by binding information onto physical media to be reviewed later i.e by transmitting it into the future.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 15, 2014, 03:23:17 PM

Carry on!

Is this one an actual noob? Or is it one of the "I used to post here and then I left and then I came back" folks?

I can't keep them straight, and apparently I'm only allowed to talk to some of them like adult human beings.

I'm not sure if this news to you Nigel, but you're not exactly known for your bedside manner.

Forget I said anything, carry on, as you were. I'm out.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

1.  He isn't a noob.

2.  Crapping all over people as they walk in the door is a time-honored tradition here on PD, and Nigel is the LEAST guilty of this, in most cases. 

3.  Nigel's bedside manner is more akin to Lemmy than House.  "IT MIGHT BE LUPUS.  HERE, SNORT THIS BUCKET OF COCAINE."
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2014, 03:26:37 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 15, 2014, 03:23:17 PM

Carry on!

I'm not sure if this news to you Nigel, but you're not exactly known for your bedside manner.

Forget I said anything, carry on, as you were. I'm out.

I would LOVE to hear the voice in your head that you read my posts in, as you seem to find them remarkably more abrasive, by default, than most people seem to.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 15, 2014, 03:30:54 PM
1.  He isn't a noob.

2.  Crapping all over people as they walk in the door is a time-honored tradition here on PD, and Nigel is the LEAST guilty of this, in most cases. 

3.  Nigel's bedside manner is more akin to Lemmy than House.  "IT MIGHT BE LUPUS.  HERE, SNORT THIS BUCKET OF COCAINE."

:lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think Hoops and I could have some good conversations, if he could just get over his apparent hard-on for Telling Nigel To Be Nice.

Hoops, I have to tell you, I might say things people don't want to hear, but I haven't actually been a mean bastard since around May 2011.