News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

So I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a week...

Started by Faust, August 16, 2010, 01:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Apart from hookers and weed does anyone know what kind of fun stuff there is to do there? Will be visiting Museums and stuff.
Actually now that I think of it, are any of you spags from Amsterdam and want to meet up?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm guessing Trip. Aren't all Dutch people from Amsterdam?  :lulz:

I mean, what the hell is in Maastricht? Seriously, what's in Maastricht?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Telarus

Quote from: Faust on August 16, 2010, 01:09:21 AM
Apart from hookers and weed does anyone know what kind of fun stuff there is to do there? Will be visiting Museums and stuff.
Actually now that I think of it, are any of you spags from Amsterdam and want to meet up?

RAW recommended a visit to the Van Gogh museum after hitting the 'coffee shops':

http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Apikoros II

There is an Awesome medieval torture museum, the smallest church in the world (it's in the red light district) I forgot the name, there are tons and tons of out door flea markets, again names elude me, we were judges in Cannabis Cup, hence... Also the Heiniken tour is awesome... more to come wife is rdy for lights outs... Oh, and Barney's breakfast but that also falls into the weed territory so...
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

Triple Zero

When meeting up with StMae there last year, Regret took us to some cool distilled liquor tasting shop which had like hundreds of different types of flavours of liquor one could try, they were good.

Also, I'm in the North of NL, Maastricht is in the south and Amsterdam is somewhat in the middle. But if you tell me which week it's going to be, I might be able to stop by. After all, you never come to the DoD in Edinburgh, and we have to meet somehow :-P Also, next weekend I have to be in that general area anyway due to a Bachelor's party on Saturday.

Apikoros, outdoor fleamarkets are probably only on special days (maybe you were there with Queen's Day?).

I just checked the van Gogh museum site for you, entrance fee is 14 euros, no discount for students :( OTOH van Gogh is pretty awesome.

I'm not really well-qualified to tell you what cool stuff there is to do in Amsterdam, cause it's kind of big, touristy and expensive IMO and there are nicer places in NL to visit :-P

HOWEVER I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING!!

... some guys in Berlin told me about this awesome thing called the "City Spy Guide" which has a big map of all the crazy weird cool little-known stuff you'd ordinarily never find on your own, for various large cities in Europe:

http://www.thespymap.com/

you can download the maps (two sided, one side map, other side descriptions) as PDF for free. Even though the website looks like it was made in 1995 (not bad, just frames and big buttons :)), according to the dates, the PDF maps should be current to 2010.

I would advice everybody who is planning on visiting Europe to check and download these maps.

As an example, we went on an "alternative pub crawl" in Berlin (which was hella fun), the first bar we visited was a "ping pong bar", no idea what that meant, but it was exactly what it said on the label, big pingpong table in the middle of the bar, get a ping pong bat for 5 euro deposit and start playing round-the-table. Anyway, after we left I was talking to these two other Dutch guys that were also in the group, saying I'd have never found this place on my own, because from the outside on the street, it was just a random metal door with some graffiti on it, no indication whatsoever there was a nice bar behind it. "Well actually, WE would have found it ...", one of the guys said, as he showed me the Berlin City Spy Guide. The next day I googled it and what do you know, all the PDF maps are available for free. YAY AWESOME.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

When are you going?  Turns out I have a free week from September 1st-6th and I can only go to Turin and Milan so many times in that period before it gets boring.

Faust

Going from Wednesday to Wednesday starting this week, Back a few days before September, so I'll miss yourself Cain, but I intend to go travelling again a lot over the next year if I'm not in college so I'm sure I'll get to see some faces around and about.
Trip if you're about just give me a shout, I should have internet in the hotel for the week so I'll still be contactable.
Also that guide looks like exactly what I wanted, cheers.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

No worries.  I should, in theory, save some money anyway, so the less travel and the more moping around on the mountain I do, the better.

Roaring Biscuit!

Triple Zero

Quote from: Faust on August 16, 2010, 10:42:36 AM
Going from Wednesday to Wednesday starting this week, Back a few days before September, so I'll miss yourself Cain, but I intend to go travelling again a lot over the next year if I'm not in college so I'm sure I'll get to see some faces around and about.
Trip if you're about just give me a shout, I should have internet in the hotel for the week so I'll still be contactable.

I haven't exactly solidified the travelling plans for that Bachelors party on Saturday, it's somewhere in the vicinity of Utrecht, from where it is a rather shorter trip to Amsterdam than from where I live. Since most of the people setting up the party are from that area, it's probably a good plan anyhow to go there a day earlier and sleep over at one of my friends places (probably Utrecht, but the trains are pretty good between there and A'dam).

I'll talk it over with them, and let you know.

QuoteAlso that guide looks like exactly what I wanted, cheers.

Yeah :) So let's go and find a couple of those places, then :) I wonder what's there to find, myself. BTW there's a bunch of places in Amsterdam (and the other cities) where you can pick up printed versions of those maps, just in case:
http://www.cityspy.info/index-things/add-your-place-on-spy.htm

And maybe Regret wants to come too, he lives closer to Amsterdam than me.

And Cain, if you change your mind on going to visit NL, I'll try and see what I can do to come hang out with you as well, naturally.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Reginald Ret

Sounds like a plan, im free pretty much 24/7 (unless i find a job in the mean time) so tell me to be somewhere and i'll be there.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Dysfunctional Cunt

There is actually a lot of things to see in Amsterdam what don't include drugs or protitutes, not that those aren't worthwhile reasons to visit I am sure.  First off, don't plan on driving a lot.  Most people walk or bike the city.  Parking is very limited so unless you are leaving the city, I would leave your car at the hotel.

A lot depends on if you want to be guided by someone or just do the wander here and there approach.  We were there in the mid nineties.  Did a week there and had an amazing time.  A couple of things I enjoyed the most was the bike tour of the city and the redlight walking tour.  Both were relatively inexpensive and we had a lot of fun.

Are you going "with" someone?  Because the candlelight canal ride is really nice, but a lot of romantic too sooo....

Brussels is a day trip away.  There are the tulip fields, Antwerp, they do windmill tours.  And in addition to that there is some of the most amazing and well preserved architecture in Europe in Amserdam.  You can rent waterbikes, that's a lot of fun.  You almost have to go to the Anne Frank house, I mean damn.  There are probably 50 or more museums.  Free concerts. 

You'll be there during the big Grachten festival so that will be a lot of fun for you.  You can find smaller ones in and around the city as well.  They do a lot of outdoor things in the city.

The potential to have a wonderful time is there.  Enjoy it!!! :mrgreen:

Payne

I think Faust should import a hill, to bamboozle, confound and drive the natives insane.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Regret on August 16, 2010, 04:23:14 PM
Sounds like a plan, im free pretty much 24/7 (unless i find a job in the mean time) so tell me to be somewhere and i'll be there.

Cool! I can do Friday, talked it over with my friend, I'll take the train to Utrecht in the evening and can sleep at his place.

It kinda depends on Faust's plans, it takes me 2.5h to get there, so not before 11.30/12 would be most comfortable :)

Dalek

The museum of wax figures is pretty unsatisfying and don't get fooled by anyone who says that they look like real people - they don't. So that's one place I regret going to. But somewhere around the flower market in the centre of the city there is a really nice music store. More like a music bookstore actually, so I'd recommend going there if you're into that kind of stuff. On the central plaza I saw some amazing street artist, totally worth checking if he performs every day. That's about all I know, since my stay in Amsterdam was pretty short.