News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Unlimited Ferguson Thread of police state nightmare fuel.

Started by Da6s, August 14, 2014, 07:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 27, 2014, 01:27:35 PM
Damn, that's a good article. Excellent links thoughout.

I'd like to express surprise at this:

QuoteIf I did find myself in an unexpected and unpleasant run-in with police, it would feel like snow in July. My instinct would be to wait it out until polite normality re-asserted itself. So I could easily follow the advice of LAPD's Sunil Dutta:

"if you don't want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you. Don't argue with me, don't call me names, don't tell me that I can't stop you, don't say I'm a racist pig, don't threaten that you'll sue me and take away my badge. Don't scream at me that you pay my salary, and don't even think of aggressively walking towards me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long? ... Save your anger for later, and channel it appropriately. Do what the officer tells you to and it will end safely for both of you. We have a justice system in which you are presumed innocent; if a cop can do his or her job unmolested, that system can run its course. Later, you can ask for a supervisor, lodge a complaint or contact civil rights organizations if you believe your rights were violated. Feel free to sue the police! Just don't challenge a cop during a stop". [3]

But it would be a huge lie. One thing I'm sure of, this guy should not be in any kind of position of power.

I read the full piece by that Sunil Dutta guy, and I only just now put my finger on exactly what was so problematic with it--it reads like a "how to not get raped" piece...or even worse, "how not to get your ass beat while getting raped".

Seriously, just comply, it will make everything so much easier for everyone. Even in the face of misconduct, seriously, just comply.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Junkenstein

Oh yeah, there's more than a few problems with that piece and that guy. More tomorrow.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/ferguson-0

This week, the Dollop looks at Ferguson and additional issues surrounding it and what led to the police reacting as they did.

If you're bothered reading anything anyone has posted in AI about police and associated issues, there will be few surprises.

That's not to say there's no surprises at all. I was previously unaware of the initial police actions during the protest and while not surprised, I was again depressed to learn that SWAT teams have their own lobbying group. That shouldn't be a shock, really. Everyone from air products to zebra farms have their own lobbying group. I just hoped for a world where heavily armed police didn't use financial means to A)continue being heavily armed and B)demand more arms. For safety reasons, naturally.

The "SWAT Economy" was another concept I hadn't come across and it's again as obvious as it is depressing. SWAT officers get paid more. This results in responses being pushed to SWAT levels because everyone makes more money. The sole plus side to that is it explains why kids are able to SWAT each other with relative ease. The person answering the call is already inclined to believe it and the police are financially motivated to suit up and go in heavy. The end result is practically inevitable.

It's 90 minutes and if I didn't know better I would say that they got 70% of the material from this board.

Junkenstein

Hey. Did you think it was done?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29607575

HA HA HA NO.

QuoteNearly 50 people have been arrested at protests in Ferguson, Missouri, over the shooting of an unarmed black teenager two months ago.

Civil rights activist Cornel West was among those held after he led a march to the police station.

Riot police lined up outside the building and arrests were made when people tried to break the line.

The protests were part of four days of events called "Ferguson October", which calls for an end to police brutality.

Demonstrators also demanded that charges be brought against the white officer who killed Michael Brown, 18, at the start of August

Please consider the date and how long you would expect to wait before being charged if you shot someone in public, in broad daylight with a number of witnesses.

QuoteThe names of people killed by police across the US were read out, and those included Venderrit Myers Jr, another 18-year-old killed last week by a white police officer in nearby St Louis.

Police say Myers, who was black, shot first but they are investigating why 17 shots were fired by the officer.

"He shot at me so I had to shoot back. 17 times." Sounds legit. I have no idea about guns and magazine capacity but that sounds like he either emptied it or reloaded. Both, of course, are reasonable and proportionate.

Why aren't you laughing?

Junkenstein

Somewhat related:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29611987

QuoteThe mother of Mark Duggan has lost a High Court bid to overturn a finding that her son was "lawfully killed".

Mr Duggan's death sparked nationwide riots after he was shot by a police marksman.

In January an inquest jury found Mr Duggan, 29, was lawfully killed in August 2011 in Tottenham, north London, despite being unarmed.

QuoteReferring to the riots which followed Mr Duggan's shooting, she said: "We are being punished because of the uprisings of 2011 and are not getting a fair trial. We are not accepting this.

"The verdict was perverse. It just didn't add up. It didn't make sense. How can somebody who is unarmed be lawfully killed?

QuoteMichael Mansfield QC, who appeared with Leslie Thomas QC, told a packed court at a two-day hearing in July that the "nutshell" of the case was to be found in the question: "How is it a man who is manifestly unarmed can be lawfully shot?"

An officer can only legally open fire if he honestly believes there is an imminent risk to his own life or to others.

Lawyers for the coroner said a gun, contained in a sock, was found on grass in the vicinity of Mr Duggan's body, and there was "a significant issue" about how it got there.

QuoteMs Duggan's separate legal action is focused on the guidance provided to police officers on whether they can confer before a court case involving police fatality.

Her lawyers say the Independent Police Complaints Commission has decided that key officers involved in a death should normally be separated from one another, but that this runs contrary to the policy of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo).

The parallels between this incident and the Ferguson one just keep coming. Expect something like the above for Ferguson in about 3 years or so.

Junkenstein

HA HA
http://www.zdnet.com/anonymous-seizes-klu-klux-klan-twitter-account-over-ferguson-threats-7000035836/

QuoteTwo Twitter accounts belonging to American racial segregation org Ku Klux Klan, @KuKluxKlanUSA and @YourKKKCentral, have been seized by Anonymous as part of the hacker-activist entity's new campaign, #OpKKK.

AHA HA HA

QuoteOn Friday Anonymous began doxing (publicly revealing identities and personal information) of KKK members in the Ferguson/St. Louis area.
AHAHAHAHAHA
QuoteThe grand jury investigation into the August 9 shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown and Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson is expected to return a verdict in the next few days.

According to the New York Times, protesters are already preparing for the decision.

TAKING ALL BETS.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/us/groups-in-ferguson-prepare-for-grand-jury-decision.html?_r=1
QuoteNow, with the grand jury's decision expected in the coming days, the groups are preparing with intricate precision to protest the no-indictment vote most consider inevitable. Organizers are outlining "rules of engagement" for dealing with the police, circulating long lists of equipment, including bandages and shatterproof goggles, and establishing "safe spaces" where protesters can escape the cold — or the tear gas.

It'll be fine right?

QuoteThough the confrontations quieted, the demonstrations have continued nearly nightly since. About 50 organizations, including Mr. Simmons's, have joined forces in a "Don't Shoot Coalition," and the level of planning is intense.

Given the very name of the group, at least one of them being killed by police soon is surely fucking inevitable. What's their logo, a fucking target?

QuoteLeaders have shared text alert numbers to keep in constant contact.

Let's try that one again.

QuoteLeadersSubversive elements have shared text alert numberscommunicated between themselves and we are to keep in constant contact.

Closer to reality. There's no chance that any of these "leaders" are not fully known and identified by now. I'm sure we'll hear about their terrible criminal pasts in due course.

Anyway, it seems the question is mainly about the size of the next round of protests. I'll go with "Initially smaller until someone gets shot then shit goes to hell for a week straight" for £10.

Cain

National Guard is being called upon to support the police as well.

Junkenstein

Is it bad that I thought that wasn't even worth mentioning? I assumed it's just kind of standard operating procedure now with shit like this.

ETA - More amusingly, did you see the list of 19 "demands"? It's not difficult to guess which ones the police smiled and nodded at and which ones they probably had an issue with.

Junkenstein

Sorry, let's get this right. It's 19 "Rules of engagement". Let's reflect for a moment on the chosen terminology already. Says a lot about how all parties and sides view the situation.

Moving on, the 19:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/9c5255_9d5572481c7840fbad088ef6d8ae82d4.pdf

It's a very strange document to say the least, in no particular order. Some are obvious and actually, you know, the law(1,6,12,16,17). Others are going to be obvious outright "NO"'s for reasons ranging from law(15) to police procedure to policing tactics(7,8,9,10,11) and the inevitable shit there to shit that's just plain beyond their control(19).

I can't help but feel that this shit isn't helping. I can see the intent, but the language used, requests and various other shit in there looks largely set to provoke the stage for confrontation. Someone's going to be unhappy enough to do something stupid. It's really just a case of which side does it first.

A suspicious man might look at how long some of these "leaders" have actually been present in the local community and make a few calls into checking their backgrounds. Obviously that's insane paranoia. Just because UK intelligence services infiltrate such groups and push them to questionable ends, there's no evidence whatsoever that the USA would do something similar.

Meunster

I think 3 things can be noted in Ferguson.

1. Social justice has gone off the deep end, Wilson did nothing wrong.

2. I don't want the cops having bigger guns than me. Which is why I bought a Howitzer

3. Cold is the natural enemy to riots. They waited till winter to release the verdict. We have some smart people in our government.
Poe's law ;)

Meunster

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 18, 2014, 08:26:41 PM
HA HA
http://www.zdnet.com/anonymous-seizes-klu-klux-klan-twitter-account-over-ferguson-threats-7000035836/

QuoteTwo Twitter accounts belonging to American racial segregation org Ku Klux Klan, @KuKluxKlanUSA and @YourKKKCentral, have been seized by Anonymous as part of the hacker-activist entity's new campaign, #OpKKK.

Wtf anonymous? Remember when they used to do fun things, not this Social justice crap.
Poe's law ;)

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Meunster on November 19, 2014, 10:05:18 PM
HA HA

Wtf anonymous? Remember when they used to do fun things, not this Social justice crap.

Or your funometer is miscalibrated.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Meunster

Quote from: N E T on November 19, 2014, 10:19:43 PM
Quote from: Meunster on November 19, 2014, 10:05:18 PM
HA HA

I mean it surely pissed off the KKK, but they are used to it.

Or your funometer is miscalibrated.
Poe's law ;)

Telarus

Quote from: Meunster on November 19, 2014, 10:02:59 PM
I think 3 things can be noted in Ferguson.

1. Social justice has gone off the deep end, Wilson did nothing wrong. (2 pt penalty for ambiguous language and assuming facts before you have them, even if the ref's probabilities are leaning in the direction of no indictment.)

2. I don't want the cops having bigger guns than me. Which is why I bought a Howitzer

3. Cold is the natural enemy to riots. They waited till winter to release the verdict. We have some smart people in our government.

:lol: 8/10
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!