News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

I Have Some Life-Changing Decisions to Make

Started by POFP, June 14, 2015, 07:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

I feel like there are some aspects of life that are impossible to have a valid opinion on until you've experienced them. One of these is the military. I don't think I could make a decision about supporting it or not until I've lived it. For several years now, I've considered going into the military.

My score on the ASVAB (Projected to be 89, I think) and interest in computers would give me an opportunity to see several major parts of the military while also keeping some distance from live combat. Not that I specifically wanted to avoid combat. Hell, I was thinking about going into the Army Special Forces. But I eventually decided I would probably wanna focus on the AFCYBER program (Air Force Cyber Security whatever program) because it would also expand my career.

The problem is, regardless of branch and job, even if you get what you want in paper/contract, it is quite apparent that this administration does not respect the military as much as it should, considering its cuts in benefits and funding, and absurd disrespect for Veterans. I don't wanna go into the military just so that they can stick me in a hole in a desert so I can get shot at by zealots/terrorists. Obviously, if I join the military at this point, that is exactly what I'm agreeing to if I don't go the extended, hands-on career route. You join the military to be a soldier first, contracted job second.

Anyways, I can't decide if it's worth it to sell my soul to the Military Industrial Complex and risk psychological damage just to give myself a perspective that many think is obsolete anyways, considering we're trying to get rid of the whole "war" thing.

Any ideas or thoughts on consequences on my possible decisions?
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Demolition Squid

You should definitely join the army as quickly as possible.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

POFP

Quote from: Demolition Squid on June 14, 2015, 08:10:26 AM
You should definitely join the army as quickly as possible.

Well, I was looking for more detailed explanations or persuasive arguments than that. Care to elaborate? I'm pretty sure I know where this is going, but I'll ask as if I'm assuming you mean no ill-will anyways.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

The Johnny

If its just curiosity about the "validity" of the military it seems extremely specific and a horrible idea.

You can easily answer that by simply reading whatever about it.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

axod

Re:op - The worst shake is the one you hardly notice.
just this

Reginald Ret

You are not capable of being obedient enough to feel at home in the military.

There are 2 possible outcomes:
1. You keep your head down and learn to hate yourself.
2. You keep getting in trouble with your thinking, and having opinions. Eventually leading to you getting locked up.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

POFP

Quote from: The Johnny on June 14, 2015, 09:42:35 AM
If its just curiosity about the "validity" of the military it seems extremely specific and a horrible idea.

You can easily answer that by simply reading whatever about it.

I get what you mean. I at least want to look into why our war strategies appear to have changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. I always figured it had to do with information that wouldn't be available to the public, or understood by the public without a detailed context. So, I figured, why not just join and see what the fuck's going on? If there are reading materials that have the information I'm interested in (And I can't say I've really looked for a lot of reading materials), then I will look for it before making a decision.

But then the probability of what Reginald Ret said had occurred to me:

Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 14, 2015, 10:08:01 AM
You are not capable of being obedient enough to feel at home in the military.

There are 2 possible outcomes:
1. You keep your head down and learn to hate yourself.
2. You keep getting in trouble with your thinking, and having opinions. Eventually leading to you getting locked up.

I'm actually much more obedient than I might seem. At times, I kind of find it pathetic. However, I am pretty open about my ideas and opinions. That is something I would have to work on. Regardless, I think I would have a bit of trouble getting comfortable in such a system, considering I can't stand control mechanisms. Especially obvious ones that directly deal with an authority figure.

Cainad (dec.)

The military is, fundamentally, a sociological control mechanism based on authority and discipline. If you're going in with the intent of learning inside info you will spend a lot of time being disappointed.

But maybe it would be good for you anyway.

POFP

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 14, 2015, 01:59:56 PM
The military is, fundamentally, a sociological control mechanism based on authority and discipline. If you're going in with the intent of learning inside info you will spend a lot of time being disappointed.

But maybe it would be good for you anyway.

Yeah, I considered both of these points, as well. Your mentality determines what you find out in the military. In their minds, the only people looking for inside info are a.) Whistleblowers and b.) Direct enemies of the State. This mentality is also easy to spot. The only people they'd probably give inside info to are people who aren't looking for it because they're less likely to be a danger to security.

I also always wanted military training of some sort. And it's a system that gives you discipline - Something just about everyone needs a bit more of, IMO.

Rev Thwack

I spent 5 years active duty Army starting during the George W. administration....

One, you're mistaken if you think this administration is worse for the troops than the three prior Republican administrations.

Two, in any branch except for the Marines, if your contact specifies a job then you get that job, barring you doing something stupid like washing out of schooling.

Three, unless you end up with one or two select jobs as a member of one or two select units, you're not going to find out some sort of inside information that the public doesn't know. Most classified information is pretty dull and isn't related to what you seem to be looking for.

Three, the jobs your taking about are not going to leave you out in the sandbox playing the role of a pop up target. Eggheads get left inside the wire, half the time in an air conditioned building nestled gently in the SCIF.

Four, the wars are ending man. Unless a Republican takes over and preemptively starts more shit, chances of you hitting a combat zone are really low (except South Korea).

Five, the purpose of the military isn't what you imagine. Yes, you are trained to accept and react to orders of those above you, yet you're also trained in the difference between a lawful and unlawful order (and to not follow unlawful ones), and they look to keep creativity/originality in troops, plus fostering leadership skills/mindset. This country has learned a lot about what not to do from dealing with the Russians for so many years. You're better off with troops who know how to take over once half their squad has been blown away then having mindless robots.

Six, I've seen nothing indicating you'd have a good time in the service. Certain types of people have it rough without a few specific tricks, and I'm not about to go into further detail because I doubt you'd believe what I've got to say I'm the subject, and because I personally would find it more amusing to hear of you failing.
My balls itch...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 14, 2015, 07:21:47 PM
I also always wanted military training of some sort. And it's a system that gives you discipline - Something just about everyone needs a bit more of, IMO.

Joining the military so it will give you discipline. That's cute  :lulz:

Naw dude. From what little I know about you, any branch of the military would not be the thing for you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

May I recommend spending a year doing physical labor, and then going to college?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 15, 2015, 03:57:11 AM
May I recommend spending a year doing physical labor, and then going to college?
Much better idea.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 14, 2015, 07:26:28 AM
The problem is, regardless of branch and job, even if you get what you want in paper/contract, it is quite apparent that this administration does not respect the military as much as it should, considering its cuts in benefits and funding, and absurd disrespect for Veterans.

You're an idiot.  That's congress fucking the military.  The president doesn't decide on funding.

Jesus H Christ.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 15, 2015, 05:03:54 AM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 14, 2015, 07:26:28 AM
The problem is, regardless of branch and job, even if you get what you want in paper/contract, it is quite apparent that this administration does not respect the military as much as it should, considering its cuts in benefits and funding, and absurd disrespect for Veterans.

You're an idiot.  That's congress fucking the military.  The president doesn't decide on funding.

Jesus H Christ.

A republican congress using the military as a fucking hostage. And by military I mean the actual troops, not any other military spending.