News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Uganda proposes death penalty for HIV positive gays

Started by Da6s, November 28, 2009, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6935558.ece

QuoteAccording to Clause 2 of the Bill, a person who is convicted of gay sex is liable to life imprisonment. But if that person is also HIV positive the penalty — under the heading "aggravated homosexuality" — is death.

The Bill has not been endorsed by the Ugandan government but it has allowed it to proceed, and some top officials are said to have praised it.

A Canadian government spokesman said: "If adopted, a Bill further criminalising homosexuality would constitute a significant step backwards for the protection of human rights in Uganda."

The Bill proposes a three-year prison sentence for anyone who is aware of evidence of homosexuality and fails to report it to the police within 24 hours. And it would impose a sentence of up to seven years for anyone who defends the rights of gays and lesbians.

:horrormirth:
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

I can't wait to hear Pat Robertson praise this bill.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6935558.ece
The Bill proposes a three-year prison sentence for anyone who is aware of evidence of homosexuality and fails to report it to the police within 24 hours. And it would impose a sentence of up to seven years for anyone who defends the rights of gays and lesbians.
How to fight an ideological war 101 - force those who think differently from you to STFU. Effectively, anyone trying to repeal this law, even legislators, could be thrown in jail?

Remember that fucked up "having sex with a virgin cures you of aids" meme going around Africa? How would one go about subverting that into - "having sex with another man who hates gay people as much as you do, will cure you of aids"?

Template

Quote from: FP on November 28, 2009, 08:48:15 PM
Quote from: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6935558.ece
How to fight an ideological war 101 - force those who think differently from you to STFU. Effectively, anyone trying to repeal this law, even legislators, could be thrown in jail?

Remember that fucked up "having sex with a virgin cures you of aids" meme going around Africa? How would one go about subverting that into - "having sex with another man who hates gay people as much as you do, will cure you of aids"?

"The AIDS is strong.  It takes two men's hatred of the Gay AIDS to defeat it. [imagery]"

Da6s

Other news, same topic, Apparently DC's C Street group is tied to this bill:
http://www.pensitoreview.com/2009/11/25/the-family-c-street-group-tied-to-uganda-death-penalty-for-gays/

Quote[The] new legislation adds to this something called aggravated homosexuality. And this can include, for instance, if a gay man has sex with another man who is disabled, that's aggravated homosexuality, and that man can be – I suppose both, actually, could be put to death for this. The use of any drugs or any intoxicants in seeking gay sex – in other words, you go to a bar and you buy a guy a drink, you're subject to the death penalty if you go home and sleep together after that. What it also does is it extends this outward, so that if you know a gay person and you don't report it, that could mean – you don't report your son or daughter, you can go to prison.

And it goes further, to say that any kind of promotion of these ideas of homosexuality, including by foreigners, can result in prison terms. Talking about same sex-marriage positively can lead you to imprisonment for life. And it's really kind of a perfect case study and the export of a lot of American largely evangelical ideas about homosexuality exported to Uganda, which then takes them to their logical end.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Requia ☣

Quote from: Da6s on November 28, 2009, 10:00:03 PM
http://www.pensitoreview.com/2009/11/25/the-family-c-street-group-tied-to-uganda-death-penalty-for-gays/

OK, you know what, fuck it.  I'm through being reasonable.  I'm going to go be a paranoid delusional nutjob who rants about global conspiracies on the internet.  Because apparently somewhere along the way reality decided it really wanted to be a bad spy novel, and there's no room left for being sane, just different flavors of delusional.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 28, 2009, 10:51:41 PM

OK, you know what, fuck it.  I'm through being reasonable.  I'm going to go be a paranoid delusional nutjob who rants about global conspiracies on the internet.  Because apparently somewhere along the way reality decided it really wanted to be a bad spy novel, and there's no room left for being sane, just different flavors of delusional.

I know precisely how you feel.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on November 28, 2009, 11:25:06 PM
Fuck the world. I mean, really. Just fuck it.

I think that's illegal, too.

None of these people understand, Nigel.  They just don't get it.

And they don't want to.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 29, 2009, 01:12:12 AM

And they don't want to.

And this is why we're all doomed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on November 29, 2009, 01:17:26 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 29, 2009, 01:12:12 AM

And they don't want to.

And this is why we're all doomed.

Toldja.  Everyone is sick. 

Some of those sick people are in power.

And some of the sick people have similar sicknesses and band together to inflict their sicknesses on others.

Cait M. R.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 28, 2009, 10:51:41 PM

THIS.

THIS x 100000000.

Someone, anyone, just trebuchet reality into Cthulhu-land now. It'll be better for my brains.