News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:27:09 PM
Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 06:22:44 PM
Oh Jimmy Swaggart, I think he never got over the fact that the world loved his pedophilia-incestual tendencied cousin more than him.  That's a big burr to carry up one's ass for a few decades yanno?

Not what I was talking about.  I was referring to the insistance that only his view is valid, not Jimmy's other issues.

:lulz:  Yeah, I figured that, but that's what I think of every time I see his name....

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:32:26 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2011, 06:30:29 PM
well I know you don't like him, but I've grown quite fond of the spag.

Okay.  Tell him to come back.  Tell Discordian Kitten to come back (ho ho!).

I won't be in the way.

You're going to need to find a new bad guy to blame, though.

TGRR,
Utterly sick of being your Goddamn scapegoat.

You know, self pity is teh suck as a defense mechanism. Why is it that you seem willing to dole out criticism but rarely if ever notice how some might apply to you? Can you honestly read through the past several pages and see NO hypocrisy at all?! Have you honestly become that self deulded? I can't imagine that's true.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:32:26 PM
well I know you don't like him, but I've grown quite fond of the spag.

Okay.  Tell him to come back.  Tell Discordian Kitten to come back (ho ho!).

I won't be in the way.

You're going to need to find a new bad guy to blame, though.

TGRR,
Utterly sick of being your Goddamn scapegoat.

I edited my post, you might have missed this:

ETA: I am not accusing any one person of driving people away, it's the board's tone

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2011, 06:26:31 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on March 04, 2011, 05:51:12 PM
Well, a lot of people do get sick of it.  There haven't been as many ridiculously long flounces as of late, but I attribute that to mere addiction.

there actually have been a lot of silent flounces, or just decreased posting

I've talked to a lot of people over the last few months who feel like this place's vibe is not conclusive to the kinds of discussions/community they want to participate in. I am going to get myself in trouble for naming names, but off the top of my head - eve, burns, fred, badge, kel, enki, rumckle, net, cainad, captain fruitopia, ratatosk... definitely more.. All of them have mentioned to me how the negativity and shitting on others discourages them from posting. Or how they got frustrated that a potentially interesting thread was reduced to telling people why they're wrong or stupid. I also don't feel like it's something I can do anything about, talking about it tends to make people defensive, and frankly I'm already sorry for bringing it up.

But you did so now you may as well lay it all out on the line....  

LMNO

Discordianism - or even life itself in the 21st century - is no place for putting on an act of being Concordian.  It's about giving a fuck, and since we all obviously don't believe the exact same thing, we're going to argue like hell.  The day everyone gets along on PD is the day that this place becomes worthless.

I'd like everyone to re-read this, and spend five honest minutes thinking about it.  Seriously.  Set a timer for five minutes, and then sit and think about this until the alarm goes off.

Yeah, I erased the attribution tag on the quote, because who said it isn't as important about what was said.

For the record, I consider myself an Optimistic Absurdist: I think life is what meaning you ascribe to it, but things generally turn out all right, as long as you're paying attention.  The fact that I live in a world of Sleeping Robots means that my immediate environment is fundamentally against me, and that Bad Things lurk around the corner.  But describing the world as it appears is not the same as describing my experience of the world. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 04, 2011, 06:47:02 PM
Discordianism - or even life itself in the 21st century - is no place for putting on an act of being Concordian.  It's about giving a fuck, and since we all obviously don't believe the exact same thing, we're going to argue like hell.  The day everyone gets along on PD is the day that this place becomes worthless.

I'd like everyone to re-read this, and spend five honest minutes thinking about it.  Seriously.  Set a timer for five minutes, and then sit and think about this until the alarm goes off.

Sorry, the veins in my head wouldn't last that long.  I have once again been shat on in favor of a noob, this time a manipulative fucking Eldora clone from MW, who stalked Khara here for the purpose of causing us the same sort of fucking trouble she caused there.

My value has been announced, loud and fucking clear, once again.  Just like it is about once every three fucking months.

I feel like a world-class idiot for putting so much effort into Horrorology, and everything else I've wasted my time and effort on here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

I don't think anybody is saying you are responsible for a bunch of us not posting here

you are the one making this into an issue about you

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

'In favor of a n00b' not, called out cause I was being hypocritical...

Wow Roger, your own intellectual dishonesty in this instance may need examined.

To be clear, I don't give a fuck who the n00b is. I was talking to you about you.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

So, here we go again. And here I go again.

Hey Roger, is there room under that bus for both of us?

Assholes.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Fuck  :sad:

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

:argh!:

Sister Fracture

Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

*GrumpButt*

*sigh* You have to be kidding me.

LMNO

Guess what? I just read the entire thread!

So, Page 1 shows Rat not taking the poll "seriously", even after Cram shows intent to make this an honest poll.  Both ECH and Cain call out Rat on page 2, and both show honest intent.

At the end of page 2, Cram reveals the purpose of the poll—to find out if "irreligious" is really the best term to use, or if it's just dressed up Agnosticism/Atheism.  At this point, I would consider the first part of the thread over: The question is no longer out of context.

Rat continues to defend his nit-picking stance for several pages, in amongst additional honest answers from various posters.

Page 4 brings the first "joke" answer.  Someone answers "Cthulhu".  At this point, the second part of the thread is over.  The door has been opened to un-honest answers (ex. "I'm an ass worshipper").

And yet, the thread continues to develop.  Around page 8, we move from talking about our own beliefs into talking about each others'.  As respectful as can be expected, of course.

The disagreements start around page 11.  At this point, the entire thread has shifted, and the original point of the thread has died.  Thread evolution, it happens.

Page 15 – enter the Pinealists.  Most people try to keep the intellectual content going, but it's fading fast.  There's really no recovery now.  If you lament the death of the thread, look there.  After that point, it's mostly people posting whatever esoteric knowledge they picked up about religion and philosophy, whether or not it pertains to the conversation, what little of it there is left.

Page 42 – MAGICK!  And all the usual crap that springs from that.

Page 48 is where we decided to conduct our Magickal science experiment with BabylonHurev.  

Page 60 (which is recent history) brought Pinealism back to the fore, to which the expected reaction occurred.

Conclusion: Please note that the MAJORITY of the thread behaved mostly how Cram wanted it to.  In fact, some of the people who might get finger-pointed as the "negative" element here made honest, bold, and well-thought-out posts regarding their beliefs.  It was only when dis-honest and or "silly" responses began to appear that the hostility began.  In fact, you might say that the anger in this thread doesn't come from people attacking other people's beliefs, it came from people attacking other's obvious insincerity regarding this thread.

So, yeah.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 04, 2011, 08:07:53 PM
Conclusion: Please note that the MAJORITY of the thread behaved mostly how Cram wanted it to.  In fact, some of the people who might get finger-pointed as the "negative" element here made honest, bold, and well-thought-out posts regarding their beliefs.  It was only when dis-honest and or "silly" responses began to appear that the hostility began.  In fact, you might say that the anger in this thread doesn't come from people attacking other people's beliefs, it came from people attacking other's obvious insincerity regarding this thread.

So, yeah.

Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 06:06:32 PM
I thought this was just a typical hissy fit at the end of a LONG and I mean REALLY LONG thread on something we all knew no one could agree upon from the get go.

Yeah  :|

I, for one, made a smartass answer from the getgo, but my smartass answer is what I actually believe.  I know I contributed more to the downfall of this thread but I mean damn.....  This is another topic much along the lines of drug topics.  It's going to stir up shit.

My issue came when.....

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2011, 06:26:31 PM

there actually have been a lot of silent flounces, or just decreased posting

I've talked to a lot of people over the last few months who feel like this place's vibe is not conclusive to the kinds of discussions/community they want to participate in. I am going to get myself in trouble for naming names, but off the top of my head - eve, burns, fred, badge, kel, enki, rumckle, net, cainad, captain fruitopia, ratatosk... definitely more.. All of them have mentioned to me how the negativity and shitting on others discourages them from posting. Or how they got frustrated that a potentially interesting thread was reduced to telling people why they're wrong or stupid. I also don't feel like it's something I can do anything about, talking about it tends to make people defensive, and frankly I'm already sorry for bringing it up.

Which was a crappy thing to post as where it was posted and such implied that it was beacuse of individuals, not board vibes.

And so it went from there.

I, for one, if I have run someone off, well I'm sorry.  You see I've tried really hard to run Twatburger someone off and he never stays gone, so I presumed I was a failure at the ability to do so.  

So there you go.

*GrumpButt*

I made a smart ass reply on page 60 something. I was only trying to get everyone off each others back and onto mine. Didn't work :( i failz
*sigh* You have to be kidding me.