News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

I hate spiders, but...

Started by Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ, October 09, 2011, 12:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 09, 2011, 05:14:10 PM
Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on October 09, 2011, 05:03:10 PM
I like spiders. I never kill em in my house.

if it weren't for the fact that I'm pretty sure all of our spiders are ill-tempered and mildly poisonous to people at best and OH MY GOD ITS A BLACK GODDAMN WIDOW KILL KILL GET IT AWAY FROM ME AAAH, I wouldn't either.  I'd be cool with some daddy long legs in our house, but they just don't live here. :sad:

I like spiders and I pretty much leave them alone except to put them outside once in a while if it's a type that really does not belong inside. Strangely. My house has never had any daddy longlegs (which is just as well because they are my least favorite kind of spider) but it does have butt tons of other types, including wolf spiders, who I kind of wish would leave.

I also have these guys: http://www.whatsthatbug.com/images/house_centipede_brian.jpg

They scare the everloving fuck out of me.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: Nigel on October 09, 2011, 05:17:54 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on October 09, 2011, 02:42:42 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 09, 2011, 01:45:55 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on October 09, 2011, 01:10:13 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 09, 2011, 11:23:24 AM

Apparently, if there were no spiders at all, the amount of flies they eat yearly would be enough to cover the surface of the planet in 2 metres of fly corpses.

:cn:

That's why I said apparently.  I read it at least a decade ago, in a science-y publication about insects, but that's all I can recall.  It also may have been the amount they eat plus the amount they would reproduce if they were not in a spider's stomach.  Point is, either way, that's a shit load of flies.
Yeah, that's a lot of flies, either way.  But we could (after wiping out the spiders) introduce those cute little geckos to soak up the slack in fly consumption. They're far less repulsive to find scuttling across your duvet at 3.am, and they only have the two eyes, which makes them . . . . . . almost human in comparison to a spider's eight. They don't get stuck in the bath, or reduce a quarter of all women into screeching hysteria either. And that's good.

The geckos are cute, but not that good at catching flies, and they die if the temperature gets below like 60 degrees. That's the only reason the whole continent isn't swarming with them.
Geckos are out then. Damn that Arachnid 'niche' to Hell! The spiders have got it all sewn up then.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nigel on October 09, 2011, 05:28:47 PM

if it weren't for the fact that I'm pretty sure all of our spiders are ill-tempered and mildly poisonous to people at best and OH MY GOD ITS A BLACK GODDAMN WIDOW KILL KILL GET IT AWAY FROM ME AAAH, I wouldn't either.  I'd be cool with some daddy long legs in our house, but they just don't live here. :sad:

I like spiders and I pretty much leave them alone except to put them outside once in a while if it's a type that really does not belong inside. Strangely. My house has never had any daddy longlegs (which is just as well because they are my least favorite kind of spider) but it does have butt tons of other types, including wolf spiders, who I kind of wish would leave.

I also have these guys: http://www.whatsthatbug.com/images/house_centipede_brian.jpg

I just noticed that the link makes it appear as if the centipede's name is Brian. Somehow, it's less scary if its name is Brian.

Hi, I'm Brian.
                                                                                                                                       /
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: Nigel on October 09, 2011, 08:15:24 PM

if it weren't for the fact that I'm pretty sure all of our spiders are ill-tempered and mildly poisonous to people at best and OH MY GOD ITS A BLACK GODDAMN WIDOW KILL KILL GET IT AWAY FROM ME AAAH, I wouldn't either.  I'd be cool with some daddy long legs in our house, but they just don't live here. :sad:

I just noticed that the link makes it appear as if the centipede's name is Brian. Somehow, it's less scary if its name is Brian.

Hi, I'm Brian.
                                                                                                                                        /

You think?? Scares the bejesus out of me! I hope there are geckos spiders around that cam kill it.  :backpedal:
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Golden Applesauce

I killed the spider in my apartment, but only because it was biting me while I was sleeping.  I have no problem with them if they stick to the ceiling and stay out of my bed.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BadBeast on October 09, 2011, 09:13:47 PM

Hi, I'm Brian.
                                                                                                                                        /

You think?? Scares the bejesus out of me! I hope there are geckos spiders around that cam kill it.  :backpedal:

Nope. These guys are 2-4 inches long and venomous.

BadBeast

Quote from: Nigel on October 09, 2011, 09:49:49 PM

Hi, I'm Brian.
                                                                                                                                        /

:crybaby:

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Cainad on October 09, 2011, 05:09:33 PM

But isn't that because the alternative in Florida is 2-foot-long crocodile-cockroach hybrids that spit acid?
You can have both.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: BadBeast on October 09, 2011, 10:02:39 PM

if it weren't for the fact that I'm pretty sure all of our spiders are ill-tempered and mildly poisonous to people at best and OH MY GOD ITS A BLACK GODDAMN WIDOW KILL KILL GET IT AWAY FROM ME AAAH, I wouldn't either.  I'd be cool with some daddy long legs in our house, but they just don't live here. :sad:

Hi, I'm Brian.
                                                                                                                                       /

You think?? Scares the bejesus out of me! I hope there are geckos spiders around that cam kill it.  :backpedal:

:crybaby:

Yeah, they are prolific spider and insect predators. I don't think there are many (if any) spiders in North America that can handle our common house centipedes.

I used to allow one to live in a laundry room so that it would keep the spider population in check.

These little badasses have been known to beat their prey against the ground with their legs.

D / N / T
    \
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

BadBeast

Suu

Quote from: Cainad on October 09, 2011, 05:09:33 PM

But isn't that because the alternative in Florida is 2-foot-long crocodile-cockroach hybrids that spit acid?

Those are the fucking yellow grasshoppers.  :x

There are also srs bsns spiders you DO NOT WANT in house in Florida.

-Suu
Arachnophobe for a fucking reason.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Hi, I'm Brian.
                                                                                                                                        /

Harmless. To humans, anyway. Good insect predators. And they totally freak me the fuck out regardless.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on October 10, 2011, 02:37:57 AM

Hi, I'm Brian.
                                                                                                                                        /

Harmless. To humans, anyway. Good insect predators. And they totally freak me the fuck out regardless.

It's something about the way they move. All those legs!  :x

Kai

Scutigera coleoptrata. No matter how you look at it, it's still creepy. And I think it's the legs, hairs, and the eyes and mouth. Actually, just about everything. They are the antithesis of chitin based cute. If you know anything about me, you know I don't say such things lightly.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Don Coyote

The damn thing has a skull face.