Unlimited How Not to Be a Fat Fucky Bastard thread: now 100% more fat free

Started by Doktor Howl, April 16, 2010, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppy

If you're not the type of person who is anal about measuring and logging what you eat and how much you exercise the easiest way to eyeball the right amount of exercise is to watch the clock.  To maintain weight, I work out 30-45 minutes 4-5 times a week.  To lose weight, I work out a collective 60-90 minutes 5 times a week.  While trying to lose weight, I get off the machine to go drink a few ounces of water and stretch for about 2 minutes every 20 minutes.   2 days on 1 off, 3 on 1 off.  I use the elliptical machine with the resistance and incline about half up (8/8 of 15/20 maybe) or I bliss out on the row machine for about an hour and concentrate on my split times.  They are dismal but I'm not exactly built for rowing.  And I follow the no meal should be bigger than your fist rule.  That's been working pretty well.  My scale weight isn't shifting much but I look a hell of a lot better when I'm naked. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's pretty much entirely reasonable.

I'm not allowed to do anything except walk. :( Walk walk walk. Oh, and I've been cleared for a stationary bicycle, but not for a real one. I can't pick up anything heavy, and seriously, this is getting old. No running, no crunches, no swimming, no elliptical. No digging. I'm built for digging, it's what my people do.

All food is stupid and boring.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

So...I think I might be getting fat. I might not be cut out for this life of not being forced to PT 5 days a week.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: American Jackal on October 23, 2012, 03:19:36 AM
So...I think I might be getting fat. I might not be cut out for this life of not being forced to PT 5 days a week.

Yep.  Especially if you keep eating like you still work out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

I gained my Freshman 15 four years late over the past year or so. I kicked 10 of those pounds off in the last two months utilizing the two most basic strategies: eat less (in my case, by counting calories and not drinking booze) and get in an hour of walking 5 days a week (my home/school/work situation accommodates this nicely).

I did have to use a calorie-counting app called LoseIt! to actually track those things and stay motivated, for I am weak and without self-discipline.

Now to replace that flab with some muscles...

Guide

I'm both naturally skinny and a vegan. Healthiest part of being a (non-cheating) vegan? You eventually assume that everything has milk in it until proven innocent. So you check the ingredients on everything for awhile.. and then you soon get lazy and start buying stuff with 10 ingredients, tops. Plus, you actually know what the hell those ten ingredients are. Why vegan? It's easier for me to just do something vs. half-ass it. (I went vegan over a glass of milk, of which I drank like water)

Basically this has gotten me off of: all candy, pop, most/all processed foods, etc, and I feel awesome. I now love the vegetable aisle, because everything there has basically one ingredient in it.

For all of you who religiously insist on bacon, um... just find a diet that has an ingredient that's in lots of stuff, and make up some ethical reason for following it, or something, and then stick to it religiously. It works.

Oh, yeah. Exercise/no stress is definitely the most important. As in don't eat super unhealthy shit, and as long as you're relaxed and exercise regularly, you'll do better than anyone who has a super healthy diet, but is super stressed and/or doesn't exercise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Simple-fix diets are rarely healthy. A truly healthy diet requires a wide variety of nutrient sources.

But other than that, yeah, you summed up the thread. Eat good food, exercise.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

How common is Hypothyroidism, where weight gain is due to an improper hormone balance?

Juana

I need to unfuck my eating habits. Shitty food, I eat small meals maybe twice a day, and I don't have to walk all the fuck over the place like I did last spring. And I'm not doing much else. :d
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 26, 2012, 04:13:44 PM
How common is Hypothyroidism, where weight gain is due to an improper hormone balance?
Don't know. Google and/or doctor?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 26, 2012, 04:13:44 PM

It's rare but not super-rare, about 1% prevalence, higher in areas where malnutrition and access to dietary iodine is limited, but the incidence of congenital hypothyroidism is increasing, probably related to the increase of industry-related endocrine agonists.

LMNO

I see.  Mrs LMNO's doctor decided to run a test on her for it, because she has a lot of the secondary symptoms... but she hasn't heard back yet.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2012, 04:02:25 PM
I see.  Mrs LMNO's doctor decided to run a test on her for it, because she has a lot of the secondary symptoms... but she hasn't heard back yet.

It's usually very controllable with medication.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 27, 2012, 04:29:59 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2012, 04:02:25 PM

It's usually very controllable with medication.

Jenn's on that.  It works like a charm, once they get it dialed in.